Grand Princess pulled from Australia 2025/26

Well what has Australia done to be treated so poorly????

https://www.travelgossip.co.uk/product-news/grand-princess-to-homeport-in-san-juan-for-winter-2025-6/

Feel sorry for all those people who booked a cruise.

Now Australia only gets Crown and Discovery. But Discovery is listed as being in two ports at the same time - being Los Angeles and Australia/New Zealand in Feb 2026 - so who is fibbing to us?

Beginning to think that if you book a cruise don’t count on it going!!!!!!

A poster on the AUS/NZ boards has said that Princess is promising them a similar itinerary on a replacement ship - details to be revealed by the end of the month. Hope it works out for all concerned.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wintrev said:

https://www.travelgossip.co.uk/product-news/grand-princess-to-homeport-in-san-juan-for-winter-2025-6/

Now Australia only gets Crown and Discovery. But Discovery is listed as being in two ports at the same time - being Los Angeles and Australia/New Zealand in Feb 2026 - so who is fibbing to us?

We were booked b2b La/Sydney/Honolulu…45 days ….received cancel notice from Princess yesterday….No explanation…nothing…not even a suggestion that a “replacement” itinerary on a different ship was possible.   

Will watch this Board for further info from passengers who seem to know more than Princess ….please post what you hear on this itinerary replacement.

Thanks!  Beyond disappointed!

3 hours ago, CsStingray said:

We just booked last week on Grand for Dec 21, 2025 and received this email last night. 

Booking #7JGQ4L Important Updates to Your Upcoming Voyage.png

It's nice that they are rebooking at no change in fare especially since the replacement cruise will be on a newer ship.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Grand for a special 17 day Alaskan cruise in May 2025. Wonder if these changes will affect that

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

We are booked on the Grand for a special 17 day Alaskan cruise in May 2025. Wonder if these changes will affect that

I'm guessing that the Alaska season will be fine and it will just head to San Juan instead of Sydney sometime in September 2025.

• Like 2

Several years ago, I booked a cruise to Iceland and Greenland on the Grand when it was first announced.  Forward several months.  Received a “move over, (sort of) to the Regal.  Then again to the Sky.  Very disappointed since my heart was set on the Grand.  Disappointed, I cancelled.  

This happens in other industries too.  I just reviewed my upcoming flight.  I received no notice that the plane equipment was changed from an Airbus 350 to the dreaded Boeing 787.  Had to spend a few minutes getting my seat back (they did reassign seat to one that I didn’t want).

Princess should have given current passengers notice BEFORE the general public saw the Press Release.  Another fail by Princess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wintrev said:

remember the bashing the RUBY P took ... surprised Princess is going back to Australia at all after that

• Like 1

The ships deployed to Australia change often.  Celebrity 5 changes in 19 years excluding Covid and guessing Ptincess the same.  Was told by X that some of the issue is crew related and increasing issues with NZ immigration. 

As for cruises 18 months out being csncelled or Changed; agree other transport changes more often.  Flights from AZ to Great Britain in August has changed 3 times since February- expect more.

There are other different issues in cruising out of Australia including labor, immigration, ports etc

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, wintrev said:

by not being lucrative enough and not as much demand as other places

lots of cruiselines seem to be puling from AUS though Virgin blames the red sea

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/02/virgin-voyages-cancels-2024-25-australia-program/#:~:text=The Resilient Lady will not,concerns in the Red Sea.

Edited by gilboman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I have heard rumor, but from a reliable source, the Grand might be sold.  
it’s past time for her to move on .. 

I have 2 cruises on her in the next 12 months hope you are wrong. One is a very unusual 17 day Alaska cruise 

31 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have 2 cruises on her in the next 12 months hope you are wrong. One is a very unusual 17 day Alaska cruise 

I don’t think it will happen in the next 12 months so will keep my fingers crossed for you.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I don’t think it will happen in the next 12 months so will keep my fingers crossed for you.  

We were on one of the first US cruises on this ship. 1998 Caribbean B2B

Edited by memoak

35 minutes ago, memoak said:

We were on one of the first US cruises on this ship. 1998 Caribbean B2B

We saw her in port way back right after 9/11.  I think we were on the Ocean or Dawn and remember how big she looked in comparison.  
We cruised on her many times since then while she was home ported in San Francisco and then again a few times in 2021.  She’s showing her wear and tear but has always had such a spectacular crew.  

7 hours ago, CsStingray said:

We just booked last week on Grand for Dec 21, 2025 and received this email last night. 

We received the same message for a 14 day New Zealand on the Crown.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wintrev said:

A poster on the AUS/NZ boards has said that Princess is promising them a similar itinerary on a replacement ship - details to be revealed by the end of the month. Hope it works out for all concerned.

I had my September 2020 Aussie cruise redeployed several times. Each time the voyage was a day or two longer but price / ezair / perks price protected.  Wound up with a 21 day cruise at an awesome price

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Agreed .... besides Discovery, which grand class ship do you think will replace Grand Princess downunder?? 

4 minutes ago, hokiefans said:

We received the same message for a 14 day New Zealand on the Crown.

Crown .... isn't that the ship with repeated engine issues?? 

41 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I had my September 2020 Aussie cruise redeployed several times. Each time the voyage was a day or two longer but price / ezair / perks price protected.  Wound up with a 21 day cruise at an awesome price

We’ve done that on Celebrity so many times … deals were too good to pass up when they canceled our cruises.  

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I agree. I think that is what this is leading up to. We love the Grand........... and we also loved the Golden.

9 hours ago, CsStingray said:

We got the same email for the transpacific in Sept 2025, but the follow-on from Sydney to Brisbane was straight up cancelled so it sounds like they are sending something down our way at least

38 minutes ago, nini said:

I agree. I think that is what this is leading up to. We love the Grand........... and we also loved the Golden.

i truly love the Royal class even though we’ve sailed on the Grand, Golden and Star several times.  
Even on the last time we cruised on each one of these ships, they were really showing their age.