The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday May 11th, 2024

Today is National Foam Rolling Day, Root Canal Appreciation Day, and International Awareness Day for Chronic Immunologi

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. - George Carlin

Meal Suggestion for today - Healthy Cobb Salad
Drink of the Day - Doctor Death
Wine of the Day - Marques De Riscal Reserva Rioja 
Destination of the Day - Phuket, Thailand 

Today in History:
1981 Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical "Cats" (based on poetry by T. S. Eliot) directed by Trevor Nunn first premieres in the West End, London

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 7:00-15:00 

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Valdez, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Tallinn, Estonia eta 05-12

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-12

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 12:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 15:00 

Volendam

Boston, Massachusetts 7:00-15:00 

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 08:00 - 21:00 

Zaandam

Skagway, Alaska  0630-2100

Zuiderdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-1

• Like 14
  • Thanks 23

Today’s Care List:

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with a stroke, showing improvement

JazzyV’s BFF with a fall and sustaining a tib-fib fracture, surgery 5/17

Kazu with a foot infection and pain

Victims of flooding and storms across the country

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy, post surgery

Atexsix (Bruno) mourning his DD DD and dealing with the business matters

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage MISTER 67 (George)!

Bon Voyage StLouisCruisers (Sandi & Dennis)!

Bon Voyage Niagarawine (Kathi & Ray)!

Welcome Back to Grand World Voyage cruisers Cat in my Lap and Gail & Marty sailing away

Congratulations to bennybear’s DS on his Masters degree

RMLincoln’s DH with eye improvement on latest evaluation

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is away

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

AncientWanderer (Westerdam to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas, YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic, MISTER 67 (Enchanted Princess to May 18) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with St. Thomas, Niagarawine (Koningsdam to May 18) 7d Alaska Inside Passage, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 12
  • Thanks 26

Posted (edited)

Good morning from the North East coast of England where it is sunny and 63°F at 10.55am.

Having had numerous root canals these procedures are important to keep our teeth usually with a crown added.

Awareness of immunology is so important.

Prayers 🙏 for the wellbeing of our dailyites who are unwell and on the care list.

I hope everyone has a happy and fulfilling day.

Bon Voyage Sandi and Dennis @StLouisCruisers and George @MISTER 67and Kathy&Ray @Niagarawine

Screenshot_20240511_105300.jpg

Screenshot_20240511_105326.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 18

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte. 
77 right now with a high of 88 and sunny skies.

Root Canal Appreciation Day, no way.

George Carlin was a funny guy though he could be pretty vulgar.

The Cobb Salad is my favorite salad.

We’re leaving in 90 minutes for our drive over to Port Everglades for our cruise on the Enchanted Princess. 
Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 25

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte. 
77 right now with a high of 88 and sunny skies.

Root Canal Appreciation Day, no way.

George Carlin was a funny guy though he could be pretty vulgar.

The Cobb Salad is my favorite salad.

We’re leaving in 90 minutes for our drive over to Port Everglades for our cruise on the Enchanted Princess. 
Have a great day and stay well.

Safe travels George.

I hope you both have a lovely cruise.

• Like 13

Doctor Death cocktail:

Description
The "Doctor Death" cocktail is a mysterious and potent elixir that holds an air of intrigue and allure. This dark libation combines the intense bitterness of absinthe with the herbal complexity of Chartreuse liqueur, creating a drink that is as enigmatic as its name suggests. With its strong and distinctive flavors, the Doctor Death cocktail is not for the faint of heart. Enter into a realm of mystique and intensity as you venture into the depths of this captivating concoction.
Ingredients:
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
1 oz. absinthe
1 oz. chartreuse green
Directions:
In a cocktail shaker with ice cubes add absinthe, green Chartreuse, lime juice, and simple syrup to the shaker. Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
Strain the cocktail mixture into the glass filled with ice. Garnish the Doctor Death cocktail with a lime twist(optional).

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 6.14.52 AM.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 21

Good morning from a sunny and cool 45F Boston.  Thanks for our daily dose of useful information.  Three interesting days to recognize.  I do appreciate the root canals that I have although getting them wasn’t a lot of fun.  Funny quote for today.  I do like a good Cobb Salad but I just had one for lunch yesterday.  I think that I’ll pass on the drink.  Have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events.  Bon voyage to our daily friends who are setting sail today and welcome back to the world cruisers!🍾🎉🛳️

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  We have 75F on the thermometer here in Plantation and expect a high of 96!  Way too hot for most of us.  It will be sunny but there's always a chance of a shower, especially at sail away time.  We may leave port at 3 pm but don't be surprised if it's later. I'll let you all know later if I find a good spot to watch the Zuiderdam leave and wave at the PTZ camera.  We have a lot to unpack and need time to get settled this afternoon.

Today's port is Phuket, Thailand which is a brand new one so no links to post!  We have not been to the port of Phuket before.  Thanks to all who post photos.

Yes, we have a ride to the port with a shuttle service that we had from a different Ft. Lauderdale hotel.  She gave us her card and it came in handy this time.  We are going downstairs to get some breakfast and might see a few cruisers down there.  I wonder if any of them will require a ride to their ship? 

Well, better get moving and get that breakfast.  Talk to you all later!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's cloudy here.  We went out on the deck around midnight to see the Northern Lights but it was partly cloudy.  We could see some stars and a faint greenish glow with streaks of red occasionally.  Sorry, no pictures. 

An interesting collection of days.

George Carlin could be very funny, but he also used some very bad language.

The meal sounds good, I'll pass on the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui. Roy, thank you for our maps! We had rain! At least two minutes of it and one loud clap of thunder. So technically we had a T-storm very early this morning. We need a lot more rain, though. 

My family in NH sent me these amazing pics of the Aurora taken from a park near their house. 

IMG_3833.jpeg.ef16469f02d54381e023f0b2fd8dd181.jpeg

IMG_3812.jpeg.f6f0dc04ce9366013a8991e8ed5e275a.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I’m sure the stress of this week took its toll on you the other day. Heck the first time you drove after your surgery was to the ER! 

Gym, Bindi walks, yard work, and dinner at a friend’s. 

IMG_2858.jpeg.8cedd6766574281ea88e71ec8efc06c7.jpeg

IMG_2861.jpeg.3b59b75297a1fcd76880933a95496de8.jpeg

IMG_2860.jpeg.368cdfca4cb472ded8bd8f221c0711d8.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Some of you may not even realize you need support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Marques De Riscal Reserva Rioja 2019

I used the 2019 vintage info, since it is easy to find and ready to drink - with a bit of decanting. Though most online prices range between $15 & $30, I found one site with a sale price of $12.99!

Distributor’s notes

Intense black-cherry color with good depth of colour and hardly any signs of evolution. Very expressive aromas on the nose with notes of licorice, cinnamon and black pepper, with just a subtle hint of the long cask-ageing, thanks to its great complexity and ripe, concentrated fruit. Fresh and easy to drink on the palate, good backbone andlovely, polished tannins. The long, persistent finish leaves gentle balsamic reminders of the finest quality.

James Suckling: 92 Points

"Vanilla, incense and pine cones on top of the dark cherries and plums on the nose. Youthful and pretty flavorful on the medium- to full-bodied palate with plenty of oak tannins that will need a few years to unwind and soften. Hint of tobacco savoriness loom in the lengthy, spicy finish. Drink from 2025 or decant if you want to enjoy now."

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 7

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie.  .I think the last day got cut off in the database and is “International Awareness Day for Chronic Immunological and Neurological Diseases” This appears to include some pretty common diseases like Type 1 Diabetes, Rheumatoid arthritis, and Lupus as well as some more exotic diseases.  While I have been in rehab several times I have never rolled foam.  While I appreciate the results of a root canal I do not appreciate the process.

I can only quibble a little bit with the quote.  It is not that dark at certain times in the far North or far South.

It looks like I visited Phuket just once, 2010 on Queen Victoria..

A great day in Theatrical history..

The meal is interesting.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Grilled Molasses Lamb Chops, and Strawberry Sundae which would have been my choices on MS Nieuw Statendam April 28, if I had not dined in Canaletto..

Looks like yesterday’s rain has left us and it will be a little warmer but still chilly...

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @grapau27 for the info on foam rolling - I was clueless. Thank goodness we can get root canals, but I don't know that I will celebrate them. 

I like Cobb salad, pass on the drink, curious about the wine, not been to the port. Mr ALW sure had a winner with "Cats."

Last night's Northern Lights pictures were awesome - thanks to all who posted them. I live way too far South to see them & have not experienced them on any of our AK cruises and would feel like I'd won the lottery if I was blessed w/that amazing show.

Apologies to anyone I offended yesterday - sincerely not my intention. 

Currently 64° headed to 81° w/rain this evening.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240511_062515.thumb.jpg.a6f9d9b5c7f0f94a80ea500a1c05c7d4.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good sunny morning.rain again tomorrow.

💔🐾Houdini is going to leave us today. He went downhill last night and struggled to get up the stairs this morning. Tux went up with him. Just waiting for the vet office to open. 
He definitely lived up to his name over the years.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 25

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise from a short 2019 cruise on Queen Victoria.  May 11 was a sea day from Skagen, Denmark to a rendezvous with Queen Mary 2 in Southampton.

nighta.JPG.ee4d80d200475192591e81ba11e6473b.JPG

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4