Tipping Conundrum

molymoo

We will be leaving in about a month for the Iconic Iceland, Greenland, and Canada cruise.  As the time approaches, I am thinking about going to the bank and getting some “local” currency for tipping and small incidentals along the way.  I’m not sure how to proceed so thought I might seek the wisdom of others who have “been there, done that”. 

We will have two stops in Greenland.  The currency is Danish Krona, which is easy enough to get through the bank, however after reading the descriptions of the three excursions we have scheduled it appears that two are “self-guided” and the third is a visit to the fur house.  Will tips even be needed?  What about small purchases from locals who apparently set up tables and sell handiwork when tourists are in town?  I have no problem getting Krone for the stop but will have no use for it anywhere else along the way so don’t want to have a lot “left over”.   Also have to keep in mind that these are ports that might easily be “missed” completely due to weather conditions.

In Iceland there will be several stops.  I plan to have Icelandic Krone but wonder how much might be needed.  I have heard many times that Iceland is not a place where tipping is the norm and they are not expected.  Does or has anyone tipped their tour guides while in Iceland?  How about drivers?

Finally, what to do about Canada.  We will (potentially) have two stops there and have no issue with getting some Canadian dollars but do remember a time when Canadians loved getting US dollars.  This was when I was a kid travelling with my parents so it is actually ancient history but wonder how to approach this one.

Any wisdom and/or advice is appreciated!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, molymoo said:

Finally, what to do about Canada.  We will (potentially) have two stops there and have no issue with getting some Canadian dollars but do remember a time when Canadians loved getting US dollars.  This was when I was a kid travelling with my parents so it is actually ancient history but wonder how to approach this one.

For Canada, feel comfortable tipping anywhere in USD. (Not coins... only bills and we don't care if they are crips and new like some areas of the world) For us, we take to the bank and we get 30% more.  (We cannot exchange coins)  I am not suggesting that you tip 30% less in USD, as IMO you should tip as though the currency was at par.

As far as purchases in stores in Canada, some may refuse USD cash and some may take it, but don't expect exchange in stores.  Some may exchange and some may not.  You will also get change in CDN money.  Few stores if any keep a float of US bills or coins.  Remember too that in Canada $1 and $2 are coins and not bills.

In Canada, it is rare that cards are not accepted.  I use Visa to buy a $1.49 donut.  The only thing is street vendors that are not common in Canada.  You will be able to use cards and you will be buying 30% cheaper!

This will get some opposition... but for us as Canadians, most places we travel, we tip bus drivers and guides in USD.  US currency is the most accepted and exchanged at banks in the world.  Many people on CC disagree with us, but I will not get a small amount of other currency for the purpose of tipping.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

No worries.  We did this cruise last June.  Used dollars everywhere. (USA).

We did get some Canadian dollars for small change items like souvenirs, stores, etc.  In Iceland we did not get krone and had no problem using credit cards for purchases including even the famous hot dog in Reykjavik, and no problem with US Dollars cash for tips.  As for Greenland, it was cancelled on us, due to icebergs, so can't speak for it.

I personally am of the opinion, that you tip if you want to tip, and you don't tip if you don't want to tip.  I don't think that we need to care if the country we are in has a tipping culture or not.

Getting off a bus tour, I see more people not tipping the driver and guide than passing a tip.

We "North Americans" have such an expected tipping culture that we think we have to tip everywhere.  

• Like 4

On 5/13/2024 at 12:44 PM, molymoo said:

We will be leaving in about a month for the Iconic Iceland, Greenland, and Canada cruise.  As the time approaches, I am thinking about going to the bank and getting some “local” currency for tipping and small incidentals along the way.  I’m not sure how to proceed so thought I might seek the wisdom of others who have “been there, done that”. 

We will have two stops in Greenland.  The currency is Danish Krona, which is easy enough to get through the bank, however after reading the descriptions of the three excursions we have scheduled it appears that two are “self-guided” and the third is a visit to the fur house.  Will tips even be needed?  What about small purchases from locals who apparently set up tables and sell handiwork when tourists are in town?  I have no problem getting Krone for the stop but will have no use for it anywhere else along the way so don’t want to have a lot “left over”.   Also have to keep in mind that these are ports that might easily be “missed” completely due to weather conditions.

In Iceland there will be several stops.  I plan to have Icelandic Krone but wonder how much might be needed.  I have heard many times that Iceland is not a place where tipping is the norm and they are not expected.  Does or has anyone tipped their tour guides while in Iceland?  How about drivers?

No tips are necessary in the European side of it, completely optional, but if you do tip use local currency, or if all else fails, Euros. Dollars are no use and loose around 30% of face value in conversion costs

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

No tips are necessary in the European side of it, completely optional, but if you do tip use local currency, or if all else fails, Euros. Dollars are no use and loose around 30% of face value in conversion costs

Haven't had a single person turn down a euro or a dollar yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Haven't had a single person turn down a euro or a dollar yet.

They won't, out of politeness, but will sneer when you are out of sight. Euros may be of use, if near a eurozone country, dollars are as much use as euros would be in the US

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

They won't, out of politeness, but will sneer when you are out of sight. Euros may be of use, if near a eurozone country, dollars are as much use as euros would be in the US

Absolutely agree. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 6:20 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Getting small change is not easy on our current trip.  I continue to hope that Viking will start pricing the tours as tips included.  

I agree however some nationalities will still tip even where they’re included. I’ve just returned from Japan where I observed very crass and clumsy efforts by some people who wanted to tip in a culture where tipping is in some situations offensive.

I also Cruise on a line where tips are included and despite that you see people with $1 bills to attract attention and greater favour in bars and service situations.

I think the included tips approach only really works if it is also a requirement for all additional tips to be pooled.  That is the approach in many hotels here - my son worked for several years in management in a well known high end hotel and it was actually a disciplinary offence not to pool tips. It made the staff very happy although they got very frustrated particularly with Americans who kept demanding to know if they got the tip direct and trying to encourage ways to circumvent what were  the Employers rules that all the staff liked 

• Like 3

On 5/15/2024 at 12:20 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Getting small change is not easy on our current trip.  I continue to hope that Viking will start pricing the tours as tips included.  

Viking encourages tipping guides and drivers in countries with a no-tip culture in defiance of tradition/values. Why is that?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Viking encourages tipping guides and drivers in countries with a no-tip culture in defiance of tradition/values. Why is that?

Don't get mad at me for asking this, but does Viking really encourage this or is it American tipping culture coming to the surface?  Are Viking just not addressing it because they don't want to appear that they are anti-tipping?

I agree and know that tipping in many cultures outside of USA and Canada is just not expected, but Viking could also appear to be insensitive if they suggested we not tip. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, duquephart said:

Not recommending tips or even mentioning the subject is not the same as suggesting we not tip. There is a motive here somewhere.

Perhaps by suggesting tipping, Viking gains a leg up on driver and guide availability and preference to work Viking excursions. Pax pay and Viking benefits ( not that there’s anything wrong with that.).

Viking suggests tipping. It’s your choice. I tip. I noticed on my most recent cruise, most didn’t tip. If somebody does an extremely helpful thing, you may tip. Be careful.  In some cultures tipping is frowned upon. It’s not acceptable.  Just say thanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Can you imagine, some people tip when they don’t even have to!!
What’s this world coming to?? 😉😎

You never have to.

8 minutes ago, duquephart said:

You never have to.

Perhaps you do…

Consider:

- An airport contract employee pushes my wheelchair from Gate 1 to Gate 60 in American’s MIA concourse.

- A restaurant receptionist gets us a cab in a torrential rain storm in a large city.

- A railroad porter takes our heavy bags along a long platform to the front of the train.

- A Good Samaritan runs to return my briefcase with my heart meds and lots of money inside.

Etc., etc., etc.

Not sure why folks will spend $10-20k on a cruise and not give 2€ to a guide.

(And once again I remind myself that I HATE tipping threads.) 

• Like 3

Except in places where the US Dollar is the preferred currency such as in the United States, and places such as Egypt that prefers dollars to their own currency, tip in the local currency if you tip at all.