Excursion age limits

I'm planning a Royal Caribbean cruise with my 82-year-old parents in October and I'm seeing that excursions have a maximum age limit of 80 years. Does Royal Caribbean actually enforce this or is there a way around it? Thanks.

I don't know about this but it seems rather discriminatory to me. I'm not that far from 80 and would be pretty upset if I was told I couldn't experience excursions. I do pick and choose those I'm capable of doing and I have a lot more energy than many younger than me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JRasnicJr said:

Does Royal Caribbean actually enforce this or is there a way around it?

Welcome to CC and coming out of long lurk mode.

If you book directly with the vendor, you are much more likely to avoid any age restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, floinnc said:

I don't know about this but it seems rather discriminatory to me. I'm not that far from 80 and would be pretty upset if I was told I couldn't experience excursions. I do pick and choose those I'm capable of doing and I have a lot more energy than many younger than me.

A lot of excursions have age limits, it’s legal.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's all about liability and insurance. Not discrimination.

Agree completely. Just to reinforce, this typically is the result of conditions placed by the cruise line's insurer and the cruise line has nothing to do with it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JRasnicJr said:

I'm planning a Royal Caribbean cruise with my 82-year-old parents in October and I'm seeing that excursions have a maximum age limit of 80 years. Does Royal Caribbean actually enforce this or is there a way around it? Thanks.

I was 71 and there was a bird watching excursion in Belize age limit of 70 I couldnt do. I believe its insurance but not sure but missed the cut off by 1 year. They will not make exceptions. Bird watching isnt that strenuous. It was in town walking thru back yards looking at local birds.

Diving had a 65 age limit. There are many with lower age limits than 80. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Some ATV and fast boat tours also have lower age limits. Some as low as 60. 

There are tours with weight limits as well, i.e. parasailing and zip lining. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Thanks 1

What ports are impacted by this issue?  In many ports you might find that you can arrange better private excursions or book directly with excursions operators…just be sure to be back to the ship on time.  You can get more info on the port of call forums.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

What ports are impacted by this issue?  In many ports you might find that you can arrange better private excursions or book directly with excursions operators…just be sure to be back to the ship on time.  You can get more info on the port of call forums.  

The problem with this is most private have a higher price for just 1 person. Couples or families it's less expensive but for me as a solo it's a higher cost and not worth it. This really depends on the size of the group you want to book. I just dont find deals for 1 with private excursions. I just skip or book something else. 

Edited by firefly333

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The problem with this is most private have a higher price for just 1 person. Couples or families it's less expensive but for me as a solo it's a higher cost and not worth it. This really depends on the size of the group you want to book. I just dont find deals for 1 with private excursions. I just skip or book something else. 

I mentioned private excursions because the OP is traveling with parents, so there are at least 3 people in the OP’s party, maybe more.  A private excursion could also be designed and paced just for that family’s interests and needs. You, of course, have different needs and tons of experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cruise excursions are booked with the Cruise Planner, and it knows what age you are at the time of the sailing.  It won't allow booking anyone that is in violation of the age limits. 

Have seen a couple of times where an age limit existed that disappeared later (after I had booked an excursion with independent providers).

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for the feedback and guidance. I appreciate it. My travel agent partners with an excursion company that doesn't include a maximum age in the Restrictions section of their excursions. I will book excursions through them.

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe by 'private' they meant tours not associated with the cruise line., not a truly private tour for one person.   There are many tours you can find by googling, or by searching the Ports of Call on these boards that are group tours (usually much smaller groups than the cruise line tours) and are often better priced and better quality.  We have also just picked up tours that are by venders right at the port. We seldom take cruise line tours unless nothing else works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JRasnicJr said:

Welcome to our world... We just biked across Austria but cannot book a city bike tour. You cannot even override anything for your parents as the account knows your parents' ages and will not let you book. We are also shut out of Caribbean snorkeling trips, so we have to take a ferry, then hike to the beach to snorkel in our own. Ageism is real. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Welcome to our world... We just biked across Austria but cannot book a city bike tour. You cannot even override anything for your parents as the account knows your parents' ages and will not let you book. We are also shut out of Caribbean snorkeling trips, so we have to take a ferry, then hike to the beach to snorkel in our own. Ageism is real. 

Ouch. Thanks for this, MommaBear55. I am impressed that you are not letting ageism prevent you from fully living. Well done.

22 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Choice, Rare but last yr a rock slide ended up stopping us from getting back to the Ship by over 6hrs. It was a Royal sponsored so Ship waited, free rm service that nite and got our $$$ refunded back for the excursion

33 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Choice, Rare but last yr a rock slide ended up stopping us from getting back to the Ship by over 6hrs. It was a Royal sponsored so Ship waited, free rm service that nite and got our $$$ refunded back for the excursion

Thank goodness that is a rare event.  Of course, your delayed excursion that day held the ship for any cruisers on non-ship sponsored excursions that day who arrived even slightly ahead of you.

Due to the age exclusion, the OP’s party may not have the option to select a ship sponsored excursion.  All they can do is research their vendors and select excursions with care. On St Maarten and St Thomas, the OP can probably find reliable excursion vendors and return to the ship in a timely fashion, barring a major rock slide or other incident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It is only more expensive if you are literally booking a “private tour for one person”, as you would expect. 

I think the suggestion was to book a group tour, similar to a cruise line excursion, independently which is often less expensive. Some people, especially in Europe, arrange “private” group tours through their roll calls where the tour is usually smaller and limited to people from your ship.

Like everything else, there are “pros” and “cons” to booking through the cruise line or independently and needs to be decided by individual comfort level.

We have done both depending on circumstances and location.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 10:47 AM, c-leg5 said:

It is only more expensive if you are literally booking a “private tour for one person”, as you would expect. 

I think the suggestion was to book a group tour, similar to a cruise line excursion, independently which is often less expensive. Some people, especially in Europe, arrange “private” group tours through their roll calls where the tour is usually smaller and limited to people from your ship.

Like everything else, there are “pros” and “cons” to booking through the cruise line or independently and needs to be decided by individual comfort level.

We have done both depending on circumstances and location.

I was with my sister in Belize and we hired a taxi. The lady selling was annoying but I assumed she was just directing to different taxi but no she said 2 have to be in the taxi, the driver and a 2nd person with him by their law. She took us to some church and we sat and sat, about how black people had to sit outside and couldnt come in, sat another 30 minute way over a hour held hostage. I was so hoping mad. Felt like I was being held up. I didnt tip. That's for sure.

I'd done taxi in other ports but not Belize except that one time. My sister has seizures so when I was with her we didnt pre purchase excursions because i never knew when she would have such a bad day of seizures I'd have to literally drag her around. Now she found a husband who drags her around even if she is limp like a fish. 

But I've had bad experiences in Belize. Wanted to see the birds last time, instead did some stupid yellow open air train waste of  money. After that time being held hostage at some church i had no interest in .. yea belize is scary in my book. Nothing but problems. We all 4 sat there at a stand off for a long lomg time.

I'm hoping to stay in rome next year and scared to death to plan alone, or how many days, or I'll be thinking get me out of here. I do prefer group tours I admit it. I want to be surrounded by others. 

Edited by firefly333

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was with my sister in Belize and we hired a taxi. The lady selling was annoying but I assumed she was just directing to different taxi but no she said 2 have to be in the taxi, the driver and a 2nd person with him by their law. She took us to some church and we sat and sat, aboitnhow black people had to sit outside and coukdnt come in, sat another 30 minute. I was so hoping mad. Felt like I was being held up. I didnt tip. 

I'd done taxi in other ports but not Belize. My sister has seizures so when I was with her we didnt pre purchase excursions because i never knew when she would have such a bad day of seizures I'd have to literally drag her around. Now she found a husband who drags her around even if she is limp like a fish. 

But I've had bad experiences in Belize. Wanted to see the birds last time, instead did some stupid yellow open air train waste of  money. After that time being held hostage at some church i had no interest in .. yea belize is scary in my book. Nothing but problems. We all 4 sat there at a stand off for a long lomg time.

I'm hoping to stay in rome next year and scared to death to plan alone, or how many days, or I'll be thinking get me out of here. I do prefer group tours I admit it. I want to be surrounded by others. 

I agree Belize is not a good port to venture out alone “on spec”. I am not sure I would take a random taxi there but then there isn’t generally anywhere local I would really want to visit. 

I have visited the ruins booked independently through a broker booked in advance, which was a small group and good value. Most of the excursion was OK - the ruins and the lunch but the excursion van was not the best and very full, which was uncomfortable for a pregnant lady. This type of broker excursion is often available to book on the day at many ports but I agree you need to research in advance to find names you can trust.

Belize is one port I try to avoid booking sailings to. We have taken ship excursions directly to the cays. It has been a while since we visited but now we would probably just do a ship day, or tender to the port and back.

Posted (edited)

We've run into the same thing with our kids.  RC will not let them book excursions their insurance has limited the ages for.  You need to use your own judgement and determine if it is safe for them, and if so go on tripadvisor and find private tours that will duplicate the ship tours.  With kids, please be very cautious and do not ever try to override safety height/weight restrictions on rides or waterslides, but sometimes the cruise lines get their limitations wrong.  For example, some cruise lines don't let young children do any excursions with water.  But there are dolphin touch programs in which you sit in a platform with 2-3" of water and the dolphin comes up and you pet it.  That may be inhumane for the dolphin, but a 1 year old sitting on a parent's lap isn't in any more danger than they are when they take a bath in the tub so you can book that excursion privately.    

And we took a prearranged private tour in Belize, and they took us cave tubing and to the zoo and it was quite lovely.  We've sailed all over the world  with kids (St. Petersburg, Cartagena) and safely prearranged private tours everywhere, but Brazil would be one of the few destinations we'd take a ship tour or skip.

Edited by kitkat343

On 5/18/2024 at 8:46 AM, Starry Eyes said:

Thank goodness that is a rare event.  Of course, your delayed excursion that day held the ship for any cruisers on non-ship sponsored excursions that day who arrived even slightly ahead of you.

Due to the age exclusion, the OP’s party may not have the option to select a ship sponsored excursion.  All they can do is research their vendors and select excursions with care. On St Maarten and St Thomas, the OP can probably find reliable excursion vendors and return to the ship in a timely fashion, barring a major rock slide or other incident.

Yeah its a tough one, feel for them. Traveling being away more then home for Decades seen Age and weight limits on different things for Decades. Weight isnt issue as I'm same as was at 15yrs old but Age, we'll all get there and I'm getting close to some of these restrictions myself. Mom at 76 had give up her DL, if she hadnt I'd have needed to. First time I flew in to take a Cruise it was a day early, good thing as my Plane was last to leave before Airport shut down and we ended up getting stuck in the snow anyway. Made the Cruise next day. Few yrs back I had about a dozen flight issues in 18months. Now I always fly in at least couple days early.

It's annoying, I agree. I've "aged out" of a number of excursions ... particularly in Mexico. Seriously, why can't a 70+ person ride in a "go fast" boat?! And then there was the segway somewhere in the Caribbean I was too old for ... but apparently I wasn't to old for one in Bermuda. It's all about the vendor and there is no way around it. Believe me, I tried.

• Like 2