New Lobster Restaurant on Half Moon Cay

taxmantoo

I second sail7seas' opinion. If you like spiny lobster, this is a nice option.

On the other hand, our ideal beach front lobster bake involves sharp, rocky sand, fleece, and lobstah fresh off the boat. :)

There you have it, when asking what is the difference between various cruise lines:

Cruisers visiting Half Moon Cay with Holland America's sister line Carnival also have access to the Lobster Shack, but Carnival will offer a different menu.

Maybe it will be "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" when the Carnival crowds show up.

"The venue itself is casual with a Tiki hut-style vibe and "no shoes, no shirt" dress code."

Not great wording. I suspect they mean shoes and shirt are not required, not shoes and shirts are not allowed. Not all women would be willing...

thanks taxmantoo for the link.

Sounds interesting. Hope it is not too close to the "I could stay here forever" bar. One of our favourite spots ;)

I think it's nice to see something different. For those that don't care for spiny lobster, avoid the South Pacific. We had some "spiny lobster" in ports on our South Pacific cruise and it can be quite delicious :). Not the same as our cold water Maritime lobster of course, but quite good just the same. After all when in Rome.......

Edited by kazu

They mentioned it being grilled lobster in the referenced CC article.

I spent a lot of time in Negril, Jamaica in the 70's, before anyone had heard of it except in Bob Seger's song "Sunspot Baby". My host and I would be at the docks in the Parish seat, Savannah la Mar, when the lobster fishermen came in. One lady marketed all the boats' catch and boy was she a negotiator! You couldn't get a big one without taking a couple small ones as well. I didn't hear them being called "spiny", but they didn't have claws as I remember. One of those big lobster tails cut in half lengthwise and grilled over a wood or charcoal fire is some of the best I've ever eaten.

They mentioned it being grilled lobster in the referenced CC article.

I spent a lot of time in Negril, Jamaica in the 70's, before anyone had heard of it except in Bob Seger's song "Sunspot Baby". My host and I would be at the docks in the Parish seat, Savannah la Mar, when the lobster fishermen came in. One lady marketed all the boats' catch and boy was she a negotiator! You couldn't get a big one without taking a couple small ones as well. I didn't hear them being called "spiny", but they didn't have claws as I remember. One of those big lobster tails cut in half lengthwise and grilled over a wood or charcoal fire is some of the best I've ever eaten.

Thank you! :) Not sure why some posters feel the need to be so dismissive. Maybe they lack a sense of fun. I'm looking forward to trying this, hopefully grilled over a wood fire :) with some sand stuck between my toes, smelling of sunscreen, and sipping an adult beverage :D

I grew up in Miami, Florida and thus all lobster I grew up with (not often) was "spiny" or Florida lobster. I am excited about this new restaurant because I still prefer that to cold water lobster. It might be all about what you are used to.

Thank you for the link.

For those who don't care where their lobster comes from, they may spend the $20 for them.

At least it is something different for some people.

Thanks, Love! While Maine lobstahs are great, Carib spiny and sweet French blues are amazing as well!

I second sail7seas' opinion. If you like spiny lobster, this is a nice option. :D

On the other hand, our ideal beach front lobster bake involves sharp, rocky sand, fleece, and lobstah fresh off the boat. :)

You are such a treat! Big hugs to you! Hey any more information on wine my friend :-) are you giving out any really good advice these days? I love the topic of Wine Especially when you describe it. you have a flair for words and I so enjoy reading your posts always a pleasure. :) :D I am booked for a cruise in March and they offered the explorer 4 package. If you've got more insight on the topic of wine I would enjoy Reading about it :D

So sorry for going off topic the lobster sounds wonderful LOL

Edited by shandryl

Oh yes----"real" lobster in the shell is not something you tackle in your good clothes in your dining room. It's best enjoyed in an outdoor environment---especially from the point of view of the person who has to clean up after the crowd. Been there. Once. :D

Oh yes----"real" lobster in the shell is not something you tackle in your good clothes in your dining room. It's best enjoyed in an outdoor environment---especially from the point of view of the person who has to clean up after the crowd. Been there. Once. :D

I agree. Just sit me at a picnic table and let me make a mess!!!!

I wasn't sure if we'd bother to get off at HMC on our next HAL cruise, but this new option is making me curious.

There you have it, when asking what is the difference between various cruise lines:

Cruisers visiting Half Moon Cay with Holland America's sister line Carnival also have access to the Lobster Shack, but Carnival will offer a different menu.

Maybe it will be "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" when the Carnival crowds show up.

The idea that different lines will have different offerings is interesting. So does the Lobster sign flip over to something else??? And what will they do if there's a HAL and a Carnival at HMC on the same day?

The idea that different lines will have different offerings is interesting. So does the Lobster sign flip over to something else??? And what will they do if there's a HAL and a Carnival at HMC on the same day?

Maybe they have two menus and you have to show your cabin key to get one??