Will it seem silly if we dress alike? Two sisters..

So, last year, I went through gastric cancer, and am still recovering. My sister flew out and helped take care of me, using up her only vacation from work last year.

So this year, I decided to take us both on a cruise. Now, we are so much alike you would think we were twins. I am 10 years and 2 months older. She will pay for nothing except her flight to Charleston. I've also informed her she didn't need to worry about clothes, as I've arranged matching outfits for every day and night for both of us. She will be returning home with quite a wardrobe, everything from jacket to PJ's, has been provided by me. She will be bringing her undies and whatever she wears on the plane.. Already have most of our clothes and shoes arranged and I am ready to go!

I think this will be so much fun, is this crazy or what??

Yes, luckily after losing over 65 lbs, we are almost the same size now, give or take 15-20 lbs..

Yes, this might be extreme, but I love my sister.

I think that is the sweetest gift in the whole world to your sister! I have three sisters myself and at our age we don't care anymore what other people think! We just enjoy ourselves and love life! You don't say what age bracket you and your sister are, but I say that you do have reason to celebrate-so celebrate! I have been on numerous cruises and seen people in matching outfits on every cruise. Just celebrate this time with your sister and have a wonderful trip!

Edited by cruiserfromalabama

We were on a Cunard cruise and there were twins on board, about early 60's and they dressed TOTALLY alike. From fingernail polish, to belts, to shoes, to hats - everything every day. Frankly, we thought they looked ridiculous. It's cute when you are 7 or 8 or 9, but not very cute when you are older.

If you do not mind cruisers staring at you and making perhaps snide remarks do it.On CCL maybe. What does your sister think? She really should have a say too.I would be embarrased myself.

She thinks it would be fun, now I'm disappointed. We live 1000 miles apart and rarely get to see each other. I might have to rethink this, we are 55 and 66.

I don't understand why you would be embarrassed. What am I missing? We couldn't give a fig what others think, just don't want to be laughed at. Smiles, yes.

btw, if it makes any difference, I dress very well.

Edited by dulcimergirl

You will look like both of you are having fun & enjoy being with each other.

Just make sure she had a chance to try on the clothes prior to the cruise in case something doesn't fit just right.

Have a great time

Hi,:) your original post asked if "it would seem silly"?.......to some of us,

yes, it does. But if you are both happy dressing alike, then do it.

I am sailing with my sister in October and we would never dress alike.....

we have different tastes in clothing and are different sizes.

You are disappointed in what? That others have different opinions? That

is what makes the world go round;)

As for people making snide remarks? I disagree with that...... I may

not dress as others do but I certainly would not make a snide remark

to the person...now that would be totally rude:eek::(

Again, if you and your sister want to dress alike, that is certainly your

choice.

Hope you have a fun cruise together:)

Edited by Lois R

We were on a cruise before and there were three sisters who dressed alike. We remembered them at various places. I thought it was cute.

Who cares what you wear?

If your sister and you want to do it go for it.

She thinks it would be fun, now I'm disappointed. We live 1000 miles apart and rarely get to see each other. I might have to rethink this, we are 55 and 66.

I don't understand why you would be embarrassed. What am I missing? We couldn't give a fig what others think, just don't want to be laughed at. Smiles, yes.

I have bolded what I think is important. To me, it sounds like a great "inside joke", and isn't that what sisters (both biological and by-choice :) ) are for?

I hope you do it, if you will both enjoy it :)

If you both enjoy it, then go ahead. I personally am an individualist who enjoys my very own style. Heck, I won't even wear the same cruise shirts that friends might have made for a cruise. But that's me.

I have been on a couple of cruises where the husband and wife had matching shirts and shorts, or she had a dress and he had a shirt in same material.

I'm confused. If you don't give a fig what others think, why are you asking if it would be silly and why are you disappointed when some here don't think much of the idea?:confused: When you ask a question on a public forum, you need to expect, and accept, that all answers will not be to your liking.

If you don't give a fig, do what you set out to do.;)

I'm confused. If you don't give a fig what others think, why are you asking if it would be silly and why are you disappointed when some here don't think much of the idea?:confused: When you ask a question on a public forum, you need to expect, and accept, that all answers will not be to your liking.

If you don't give a fig, do what you set out to do.;)

Well said!

For me it would be out of the question. Yes, many will think it looks silly and it will draw attention to you if that's what your looking for.

my daughter could also wear at 27 years younger.....and not look ridiculous..

(you know what I mean- more classic styles)....BUT

I do know I might not want to wear clothes that someone 10 years older

than I picked out....Wait- I KNOW I wouldn't (my personal opinion!)

My oldest brother had 9 years on me, and he was of a different generation style wise..

So- the good thing is, you must know how she likes to dress, so it's all good...

I don't think it would make me think anything but you two look cute together...

Hope you told her already....generous gift, but do not spring THAt last minute on her...

Bernadette

It sounds like you share a very special bond with your sister. I wouldn't care what anyone else thought- as long as you and your sister are happy that is all that matters. If I saw you two on a cruise, I wouldn't have a snide thought or remark. I would guess there is probably a good back story. Have fun!!!

I've cruised with my sister...BEST.TIME.EVER!!!!.......Anyhow, based on your original post, if you both are into dressing alike, do it. It sounds like you're fun people and welcome to sit at my table any time!

I would not do it, don't even wear the same sweatshirt as my DH around the house. If you are both happy dressing alike then go for it. If you find it gets to be a bit too much you don't have to dress alike every day. One day you wear the red outfit and your sister the black. Next day you wear your blue and she wears the green.

I think you and your sister will find out very quickly, within the first full day, if you are going to be able to be comfortable with other passengers and how they may react, stare, smirk, gaze in horror, at the twin look. At least you will have the option of using the clothing you are providing to the both of you and not wear the exact same thing at the same time if you end up feeling uncomfortable.

My sister, who is 5 yrs older than me, dressed alike on a Carnival cruise a few years ago. We were in our 50's. We wore matching shirts during the day. We had lots of fun doing so. However, in the evenings at dinner we showed our own personalities! No rude comments at all. Several people asked if we were twins....(ouch...I was the younger one!) Have fun, if that's what you want to do!

I personally am not a fan of the "twinsie" look but if your sister is okay with it then go for it. You could be wasting a lot of money on clothes she may not enjoy and will possibly never wear again. I very reluctantly wore matching family shirts for our trip to Disneyland this spring. I only agreed to do it on one day as I have my personality and felt ridiculous.

I personally am not a fan of the "twinsie" look but if your sister is okay with it then go for it. You could be wasting a lot of money on clothes she may not enjoy and will possibly never wear again. I very reluctantly wore matching family shirts for our trip to Disneyland this spring. I only agreed to do it on one day as I have my personality and felt ridiculous.

No, I don't think so, we have the exact same taste in clothes, food, books, everything except men. lol Luckily we are both happily married. I've already sent photos of all our outfits to her, and she is happy not to have to worry about what clothes she must take. We are not matchy-matchy, but the same style certainly. She is a lot of fun, and that will help me recover more. We aren't "dining room people" and will enjoy lido for sure. I still have difficulty eating a whole meal, my stomach is very small, and I have to graze all day, mostly. She is ok with that. So, thanks for the input everybody, I will keep all your advise in mind while enjoying our Carnival cruise.

I think the best part will be showing all our photos to our Mom and Dad on our return. They will get a kick out of it also. They are in their late 80s and due to health issues, don't cruise any more..

Edited by dulcimergirl