People who cough in their hands in buffet line

Kingofcool1947

Hello,

Newbie cruiser here.:)

I'm "germ phobic" , and hate it when people cough in their hands instead of in the crook of their arm. Especially if I'm behind them in the queue for breakfast/lunch buffet line. Then these people transfer their bacteria on to their hands to the buffet serving utensils. :eek:

Or, how about those people who pick up food on their plate with their hands whilst still taking food in the buffet line, and then using the serving utensils again? :eek:

Is it proper for me to correct the offenders? So, any suggestions how do it in a nice way?:confused:

I'm not too concerned yet about contracting Ebola on a cruise, but more concerned about contracting more common shipborne Norvo Virus.

Thank you, and apologies for asking such a simple question.

I doubt it would do any good to say something. Most likely the only thing you will accomplish is pissing them off. This will probably draw a wise comment from them.

Yes. Probably correct. Bad habits hard to correct especially with strangers. Best I suppose is to bring lots of hand sanitizer. :)

I'm "germ phobic"

I try to take reasonable precautions but when you're in a public place you're going to come into contact with people who may be spreading harmful germs. I see people at the gym who won't touch any of the machines - they use paper towels. I see people walking down the street with masks over their mouth and nose. If I felt so concerned about catching something I'd never leave my home, let alone go on a cruise ship. Let's face it, just living day to day involves some level of risk.

You can try to correct offenders all you want but the fact is, someone else just did it a couple minutes ahead of you and you are grabbing those same tongs.

Sorry, but this is something you have to accept if eating at a buffet.

You are so absolutely right!

LuLu

You're right. My bad. Read a few lines above.

How about "inform" instead of "correct?" Is that better?

BTW, Do you cough in your hand or in the crook of your arm? :)

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/covercough.htm

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Getting breakfast and lunch from a cruise line that has MDR open during that time will greatly reduced from germy utensil-using people. Also, washing your hands with hot water/ soap and/or hand sanitizer after touching those utensils and before you eat, will help too if you still want eat from the buffet. Correcting or informing them will just stress you out and probably include fistcuffs, so do so at your own risk.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

You're right. My bad. Read a few lines above.

How about "inform" instead of "correct?" Is that better?

Sorry..but it probably won't do you any good to "inform" them either ;)

Well, I used to use my handkerchief, but if the Government would like me to use a sleeve instead, I suppose I ought. My parents brought me up to think that wiping my nose on my sleeve was very bad manners indeed, but plus ca change I suppose.

BTW, avoid the buffet. Until you see people arriving from the nearest wash basin with sleeves rolled up and hands held high to avoid touching anything, like surgeons do in the films, then you won't be able to guarantee the buffet is germ-free. So many passengers do very foolish things like checking their pockets or handbags to ensure they've got their cabin keys - and how often do ladies sterilize the inside of their handbags? Not many of them do it before every meal, I'm sure.

A lot of folks were taught from a young age that when you cough or sneeze, to cover your mouth with your hand.

I'm in my mid-50s, and that is how we grew up. Ridiculous, I know. But, it seemed to make sense then, I guess. lol! At some point, it changed over.

I think when my dd was in grade school (she's 37 now), they were still reminded to cover their mouth with their hand when coughing or sneezing.

I do know that when my youngest child (he's 24) was in school, it had changed over to using the inside of your arm.

So, maybe some people just are wired from a young age to use your hand, and it's hard to break that habit. Me.....I was able to switch! ha!

I do like the idea mentioned to use a napkin. I'm going to do that. Also, tell my mom about that idea. Her partner had a lung removed because of cancer, and can't afford to get sick. Using a napkin would work well for him.

I seem to remember an information commercial shown here in the UK in the 50s/60s? (can't remember) which went along the lines of

"Coughs and sneezes spread diseases, catch your germs in a handkerchief"

Time to revive it?

Well, if you're seriously concerned about the possible existence of germs on the serving utensils, wear disposable gloves while in line. Then, after you get your food, take the gloves off and throw them away. That way, you don't have to confront someone whose habits may cause you concern. On the other hand, if you have a strong immune system, try to put your germaphobe thoughts aside, grab those tongs (or whatever), take a chance, get your food, and enjoy your cruise.;)

And what about the condiments, silverware, tables themselves etc. You can't avoid it. Stair rails, chairs, everything everywhere is touched by others.

We never eat in the buffet, but not because of that. We like a sit down meal.

But even then, the trays the servers use, the doors they push open, and even they cough at times.

If your immune system is ok, you'll survive. Otherwise we would all lock ourselves into our homes.

I'm "germ phobic" , and hate it when people cough in their hands instead of in the crook of their arm. Especially if I'm behind them in the queue for breakfast/lunch buffet line. Then these people transfer their bacteria on to their hands to the buffet serving utensils. :eek:

At least they are trying to cover their cough in some manner. A lot of people don't. :-(