Celebrity Cuisine/Dining Article (8/24/16)

Andy

Hi Everyone,

I came across this article from Seatrade Cruise News. Parts of it aren't "new" news, but thought it might be of interest to our members. Enjoy !

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/...y-program.html

Celebrity dishes up new sushi spot, special Concierge Class dining, food allergy program

Restaurant Sushi on Five, special Concierge Class dining experiences and a 'Dine Aware' program for people with food allergies are among the new culinary offerings at Celebrity Cruises.

New restaurant Sushi on Five takes the place of what was Bistro on Five. It has an à la carte menu crafted by expert sushi chef Yoshikazu 'Yoshi' Okada featuring hand-rolled sushi, fresh tableside grated wasabi, house-made soy sauce, plus a variety of starters and entrees paired with Asian-inspired cocktails, Japanese beers and premium sakes curated by a sake sommelier.

Celebrity’s Concierge Class perks now include an exclusive luncheon at the start of each sailing that showcases menus by Celebrity’s own Michelin-starred chef, Cornelius Gallagher.

Gallagher also designed a new menu for Tuscan Grille that features 100% homemade pasta, artisanal salumi and cheeses, USDA prime dry-aged steaks, as well as Celebrity’s spin on Italian regional favorites. Diners can sip hand-crafted, Italian-inspired cocktails, house-made limoncello and choose from a wine list dedicated to the wine-growing regions of Italy. The new concepts will be rolled out to Celebrity’s entire fleet by the end of summer.

On Solstice-class ships, the Sky Observation Lounge now offers new hand-crafted cocktails prepared by a flair mixologist trained by the world’s top flair bartender, Christian Delpech.

And, starting in November, Celebrity will introduce Dine Aware, the only standard for the food and beverage industry that focuses on food allergy and intolerance communication and experiences. Passengers with special dietary needs will be able to dine confidently with Dine Aware, Celebrity said.

In a host of other new food and beverage touches, the line will soon implement Ripple Maker, which prints personalized images and photos on cappuccinos and lattes.

And Celebrity will take customization a step further with its 'Blendtique' wine-blending classes, allowing participants to create their own wine blend to be bottled on board and customized with personalized wine labels. Passengers then can mail order their custom blended wine to friends and family on land. Blentique will be available fleetwide by the end of 2016

Riedel glassware will become the exclusive glassware in the main dining rooms on all Celebrity ships by the end of the year, too.

Celebrity is talking about these and other food and beverage offerings as part of its 'Celebrity Distinction' brand communication initiative.

'We are now taking our expertise to an entirely new level through our latest offerings, which are adventurous, unexpected and distinct—just like Celebrity,' said Brian Abel, vp hotel operations.

Gallagher, avp, food and beverage operations, added that Celebrity uses globally inspired recipes, locally sourced ingredients and freshly prepared cuisine to 'instill even more finesse in everything we do and throughout our entire fleet. Our newest offerings are all part of crafting an unrivaled experience that only Celebrity can provide.'

Thanks for posting Andy, but I don't think there is one thing here that will enhance my cruising experience. Why would anyone want personalized images or photos on cappuccinos & lattes? You are going to drink it correct? Will this cost extra? What a waste of time and resources.

I am glad they are adding a program for people with food alergies but again this does not affect myself or anyone in my family.

You've got to wonder sometimes what these people are thinking. Spend your time and money on improving overall food and service and you won't need all these gimmicks.

Thanks for posting Andy, but I don't think there is one thing here that will enhance my cruising experience. Why would anyone want personalized images or photos on cappuccinos & lattes? You are going to drink it correct? Will this cost extra? What a waste of time and resources.

I am glad they are adding a program for people with food alergies but again this does not affect myself or anyone in my family.

You've got to wonder sometimes what these people are thinking. Spend your time and money on improving overall food and service and you won't need all these gimmicks.

Hi CruisingChick,

I agree about the image on the cappuccino. All that I can think of, is that folks might take a "selfie" of themselves, with the beverage. Why Celebrity feels this will appeal to the masses, is beyond me. It has the "Ergonomic Wine Dispenser" feel to me LOL. It also raised an eyebrow, that the Ripple maker would be worthy of adding to a Press Release. Things that make you say hmmmm.

With all due respect to Celebrity, it irks me that they are putting any time into nonsense like a Ripple Maker. If it were my call, that wouldn't even get on my radar. Scary to think how much meeting time was wasted on this in Miami. I'd much rather their valuable time be spent on far more important items - such as working on the Main Dining Room experience, and improvements to the buffet etc.

Just my .02 cents.

Edited by Host Andy

Andy, the changes may not please or enhance every passenger, but it does show that Celebrity is trying new programs, hoping that most people are receptive and delighted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even though some people think of these little things as rubbish, I love it all and am thankful to be cruising at all. Maybe the complainers have taken one too many cruises!!

Mo

Andy, the changes may not please or enhance every passenger, but it does show that Celebrity is trying new programs, hoping that most people are receptive and delighted.

Agreed. Who knows, maybe some folks will enjoy items like that. Only time will tell.

What they are thinking is that you or I may not be the demographic they'd like on board for the future. They'll take our money, but they aren't trying to cultivate our business.

Obviously they are trying to appeal to the group they've mentioned multiple recently that they want cruising with them, the ones that are impressed by "gimmicky" touches such as this.

Thanks Andy. Some of these items are fluff, can't imagine why I would want my picture on a cup of coffee or that I could blend a good wine, even though we are wine drinkers.

Menu's at Tuscan and the Reidel glasses sound nice. Hope they add the glasses to Luminae although we could always request them. Our friends who are joining us in December like cocktails so they'll be pleased to try the new offerings.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Andy,

Thanks for posting. You know me, I am usually the optimist. But, there are a few things on the release that excites me.

First, I got to try the updated menu in Tuscan last Christmas in a trial run. If it is anywhere close to what we experienced, it will be great. It was probably the best meal I have had on a cruise ship.

Also, I like a little red wine. And, it is a LOT better in Riedel glassware. ;)

So, you will not hear a complaint from me. :)

Andy,

Thanks for posting. You know me, I am usually the optimist. But, there are a few things on the release that excites me.

First, I got to try the updated menu in Tuscan last Christmas in a trial run. If it is anywhere close to what we experienced, it will be great. It was probably the best meal I have had on a cruise ship.

Ed, I too am the ultimate optimistic person. We've seen changes come and go with Celebrity, and just went with the flow. Hopefully, all of these work out to be great!

I'm happy to take a little fluff with my good news. Hooray for the Riedel! It is what I drink my wine out of at home and now I shall onboard as well.

I also think trying my hand at wine-blending would be fun. My grandfather made his own wine as do extended relations in Italy. I could have natural talent! ;)

I also think trying my hand at wine-blending would be fun. My grandfather made his own wine as do extended relations in Italy. I could have natural talent! ;)

lol, my grandfather and his brother made wine, too, but it was AWFUL! Always vowed to try it and do better :) Maybe I'll do that on a Celebrity ship some day.

At first I thought the term Ripple Maker referred to the wine blending, which would be comical, since Ripple was a cheap, sweet, nasty wine. But that's the name for the cappuccino thing (which I agree, sounds like an odd "feature").

I think the Dine Aware program could be very beneficial. My niece is Celiac, and I've been trying to convince the whole family to do the cruise thing, so I know this would add a comfort level.

What I really wish they'd do with the culinary program is offer at least one dish that is "local" to whatever port the ship is in on the MDR menu. So paella in Spain or souvlaki in Greece or jerk chicken in Jamaica. It could still be standard across the fleet, which I know is one of their concerns. But I think it would add a fun option.

While the personalized images on lattes doesn't excite me, as someone who is allergic to several substances, including one food ingredient, I do find the "Dine Aware" program of interest. Hopefully "Dine Aware" will be more than marketing fluff, and those of us with food allergies will be able to obtain clear and correct information about the ingredients in a particular dish.

As someone who has a first Celebrity cruise experience coming up in November, it's fun to read about new things, just as it's fun to read about previous Celebrity experiences.

I'm loving all the info I'm gathering here, and highly anticipating experiencing it for myself.

Thanks Andy...still keeping us updated.

Ironic...catering to food allergies but implementing another mostly fish eatery..sushi and the fish @ the porch...dh and many others have fish allergies..

None of the alcohol gimmicks appeal to us...sounds like a frat party interpretation of modern luxury...or more ways to sell sell sell!

We did this at D'Arenburg in March on a visit to Australia. It was great fun and we brought our wine home to UK to drink with friends, it did taste like good red wine. Would probably give it a try but we only paid about $60 Aus or $50 US each, therefore will wait to see costs.

Liz

Thanks Andy,

I must confess when I am cruising I enjoy trying everything! I guess I will be one of those sending pictures of my coffee home and having a go at wine blending!!

The one thing that really does still appeal to me is some fresh local produce! Still cannot understand why if they can't do it generally Murano's or Tuscan couldn't offer an occasional 'local speciality' or 'catchof the day'. They may even find it fills up the specialities without offering discounts!

Thanks Andy! Appreciate the information. I'm glad to see Celebrity try some new things. Will enjoy trying the new beverage concoctions in the Sky Lounge on our cruise in October and happy that people with serious food allergies might cruise a little safer now!

The one thing that really does still appeal to me is some fresh local produce! Still cannot understand why if they can't do it generally Murano's or Tuscan couldn't offer an occasional 'local speciality' or 'catchof the day'. They may even find it fills up the specialities without offering discounts!

I imagine a big part of the reluctance to try this is the possibility of gastrointestinal illnesses. Large food service operations tend to get their produce etc. from well known sources they can verify the safety and sanitation of the items. Many of the localities visited, produce may be fertilized with animal waste and many people's systems don't have the necessary "fauna" inside to handle appropriately, and thus cause illness.

My biggest lesson learned in traveling, is don't eat salads for this very reason.

Thanks for the info Andy!

The "Dine Aware" program , if it really is implemented will be wonderful for us as we have some allergies and limitations. If they would even start labeling the ingredients in the food in the buffet correctly so we could make our choices that would be a huge improvement.

We are big red wine drinkers so the Reidel glasses will be nice.

I agree with those who think the images in the coffee are a silly gimmick. I was perfectly happy with the little hearts the baristas made in my cappuccino.

I'm wondering about those "craft cocktails " in the Sky Lounge. What will happen to the World Class Bar - which hasn't been all that popular ?

Andy,

Did they serve your waffles in the Tuscan....LOL! Which meal did you enjoy in the trial run?

I imagine a big part of the reluctance to try this is the possibility of gastrointestinal illnesses. Large food service operations tend to get their produce etc. from well known sources they can verify the safety and sanitation of the items. Many of the localities visited, produce may be fertilized with animal waste and many people's systems don't have the necessary "fauna" inside to handle appropriately, and thus cause illness.

My biggest lesson learned in traveling, is don't eat salads for this very reason.

Agree! DH has a cast iron digestive system...but salad in Mexico did him in! Glad they have these controls.

I agree. How about improving the dining for us common folk who don't book Aqua class or suites and eat in the MDR and buffet?!