Cruise on Princess if kicked off Carnival

Benglish60

My wife had a medical issue a year or so ago on Carnival and she was booted off and flown home. That was on Carnival. Can she cruise on the Princess line ? I know it's part of the Carnival group

Thanks. Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife had a medical issue a year or so ago on Carnival and she was booted off and flown home. That was on Carnival. Can she cruise on the Princess line ? I know it's part of the Carnival group

Thanks. Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Booted off"? As in banned from returning to cruise on Carnival? Or just removed from the ship as they couldn't handle the medical situation?

There's a difference.

Your post is pretty vague. I can't imagine anyone could advise you based on what you've posted. Why not call the cruise line and ask, if you'd rather not post details here.

Agreed with this.

Having a medical issue and being removed from the ship is not the same thing as being removed from the ship due to behavioral issues. To my knowledge I've never heard of someone removed from a ship for a medical reason and asked to not cruise with the cruise line again. Correct me if I am wrong.

If it was behavioral (not saying it was) then I could easily see Princess not allowing you to cruise because they are headed by the same Corporate office. But again, we would still not be able to advise you here. You really need to call and ask.

There almost certainly is a list of passengers who will be denied booking without a carer, or even at all if their frail condition had previously put a strain on the medical facilities. Recall the case from a few years ago (though I believe it was on Celebrity) of the man who showed up solo even though he had booked his wife to sail with him: he was clearly incapable of taking care of himself--he expected the cabin steward to be at his beck and call to help him on and off the toilet! When he refused the ship's offer of engaging a nurse's aide at his expense, he was medically disembarked at the next port that had direct flights back to the US. (OP, if this is you, hope you're feeling better...)

Edited by fishywood

From the way you phrased your post it sounds like your wife boarded with an undisclosed chronic medical condition which requires regular skilled care. I'm happy to hear that she fells well enough to take another cruise.

That said, if she cannot sail on Carnival she will probably not be able to sail on Princess. Many cruise lines won't take hemodialysis or IV chemotherapy patients for example. Nor will they take women past a certain point of pregnancy. The risk of needing emergency evacuation is just too high. As others suggested talk to the Special Needs people at Princess and get their policy on whether or not your wife can sail.

While all we can do is speculate given that OP was vague (certainly OP's perogative), one could think it possible she was 'booted off' for troublesome behavior that OP and wife view as having been caused by a medical condition?? Possibly?

I was on one cruise where it seemed someone was "booted off" the ship at every port for medical reasons. The cruise line didn't make a big deal of it, but people left with luggage....some in wheelchairs, some were met by an ambulance, some with crutches. I suspect this is more common than most passengers think it is. Unless the current medical condition does not meet the normal boarding health criteria I think the passenger could sail the same line with no problems. We did meet one person on that cruise that had been "booted off" that same line before for medical reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on one cruise where it seemed someone was "booted off" the ship at every port for medical reasons. The cruise line didn't make a big deal of it, but people left with luggage....some in wheelchairs, some were met by an ambulance, some with crutches. I suspect this is more common than most passengers think it is. Unless the current medical condition does not meet the normal boarding health criteria I think the passenger could sail the same line with no problems. We did meet one person on that cruise that had been "booted off" that same line before for medical reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Requiring a medical debark would not have a cruise line put you on a 'do not cruise list' unless the medical was mental vs physical and caused excessive disturbance. If one has an accident or heart attack, a cruise line would not ban you unless you are not fit to travel alone or have an adequate caregiver with you.

You are certainly correct there are a great many medical debarks from the ships. Like any community of thousands, people get sick and have accidents on ships same as on land.

Edited by sail7seas

The OP says 'booted off and flown home'. If they boot you off for behavioral. etc. reasons, you have to find your own way home. If Carnival flew them home, it was probably a forgivable reason...EM

This is not always so. I know someone who was booted of Princess the morning after a very bad fight. Princess arranged their air from St Maarten to the states. 800 one way and the family had to pay for it. Princess also arranged transportation to the airport.

There was a couple booted off about a year ago from a cruise ship because the husband left his wife who had Alzhemiers unattended while he went on an excursion in port and she went wandering the ship and got lost. The husband as trying to sue the cruise line for "unfairly removing them" which I thought ridiculous because if she had gotten hurt because of his neglect, him and his family would have been suing the cruise line for that.

If this is the situation of the OP I doubt another line will allow them either as that kind of news goes around they would know their names; unless he hires a nurse for his wife.

There was a couple booted off about a year ago from a cruise ship because the husband left his wife who had Alzhemiers unattended while he went on an excursion in port and she went wandering the ship and got lost. The husband as trying to sue the cruise line for "unfairly removing them" which I thought ridiculous because if she had gotten hurt because of his neglect, him and his family would have been suing the cruise line for that.

If this is the situation of the OP I doubt another line will allow them either as that kind of news goes around they would know their names; unless he hires a nurse for his wife.

Of course having a family member with you that has dementia is not why this couple was banned. It was his disregard for her welfare. His excuse was she had never left the stateroom before when he told her to stay until he returned. He obviously knew little about Alzheimers or dementia as with either a person continues to worsen mentally, so what a person was capable of last week they may not be capable of today. Not only that, but a simple thing like the steward coming to clean could have confused her. Maybe she left to get out of his way and then forgot where her stateroom was.

Most people with a family member in such a condition would be more loving. I know last year when we did our Princess California coastal cruise we had dinner with a couple with the wife with dementia. In their case he was a very loving husband. We saw them again a couple of days later at the San Diego zoo. He had rented a wheelchair so he could keep an eye on her better but told her it was so she would not get too tired. I thought that was so sweet.

We just went on a Princess cruise that had a very large group that was banned from Carnival last year for behavior. So yes, I'd say it's possible.[/quote

A large group which had been banned from Carnival for behavior does not seem to constitute an ideal group of shipmates.

No kidding! I certainly don't want these fools to be on any cruise that I am on. :eek: