Desserts

Cheese plate is available all the time - also available from room service. Suggest ordering with crackers, unless you really want a sweet cookie. Biscuits are usually cookies (American English). Also, depending on the ship, there are usually cookies/small desserts in the Windjammer buffet and cafes. You can always pick up and enjoy in your room, or any place.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

IMHO....desserts are where RCI is lacking.

Many of the desserts have a geletin consistency.:(

Agreed - so awful. I mean, I will try the odd dessert but most of the time I am left wanting more... I mean, not "more" but more. hehe The changes over the years are not for the better, in my opinion. My beloved carrot cake with delicious frosting has been reduced to a mini carrot muffin. Blech. The sugar-free key lime pie used to be amazing.... but now is a gelatinous mess.

Oh well. :p

We are basic dessert people.

Give me a sundae or pecan pie and I would be happy.

Many of the desserts that RCI serves to us are not worth the calories.

Oh

We do have a frozen sherbert at the pool deck.

If you like variety and different items enjoy!!

For us, we pass

Safe travels.

IMHO....desserts are where RCI is lacking. Occasionally I'd get something really good in the mdr or windjammer, but for the most part they look a lot better than they taste. Usually just tasteless with a strange consistency/texture. Long gone are the "real" cheesecakes. :(

agree, they look really good but they dont taste that good. I stick with ice cream

Why can't they do a decent dessert in the MDR? It's like they're on an episode of Top Chef & dessert is an impossibility. The only desserts I ever like are the peach cobbler (or maybe it's a crisp, whatever) & the double strawberry cheesecake which isn't very cheesecakey but I like that it's strawberry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a Royal fan, but not at all excited about their desserts. Definitely not their strong suit.. I may get a scoop of ice cream and pass on the other stuff, or just skip it all together. That being said, I never leave hungry and enjoy most MDR meals. Prefer to have an extra appetizer that I really like instead of a MEH dessert.

One dessert we do enjoy on board is the hot apple pie in Johnny Rockets at least once a cruise. Good stuff.

I have a real sweet tooth as well, but the desserts on Royal (especially in the dining room) are not very satisfying IMHO. We find them to be quite bland and many have a gelatinous texture that we find terribly unpleasant.

After dinner, my favorite dessert is the scoop ice cream in the Windjammer with various toppings. The key lime pie and strawberry cheesecake are generally pretty good. On Liberty in September, they had a crepe bar in the Windjammer during dinner hours. Hubby really enjoyed that. I plan to give it a try in December.

At lunch and for snacks throughout the day, we can usually find something yummy in the Cafe Promenade. The brioche is outstanding. We like soft, chewy cookies, so they're hit and miss for us - sometimes super soft, sometimes very crunchy- but our favorite are the coconut ranger cookies.

I always thought that biscuits in the UK and maybe other parts of europe are what we here in American know as cookies. Are biscuits also crackers? I don't usually have cookies with my cheese!!!:eek::D

My two favorite desserts in the MDR are the Chocolate Sensation (a rectangular slice of a real rich chocolate mousse concoction) and the Carrot Cake (sounds boring, but its not .. its really delicious).

Otherwise, the rest of the desserts are those jiggly brightly colored gelatinized artificially flavored sugar free things .. they nasty.

Cant go wrong after dinner stopping by the Promenade Cafe for a pastry or some cookies .. the coconut ranger one is awesome.

Edited by F27TW

Well I wish I had not read this one. I am a huge dessert person. And on a cruise I ussually have one of each. Calories do not count on vacation. And now you all have me depressed about my first time with royal. It is bad enough that many are saying how awful the desserts are. But even worse it that you are saying they are mostly gelatin based. I am a vegetarian and that means that I can not eat gelatin. :(

This makes me sad to hear because this coming sunday is our first royal cruise. We have been on two carnival cruises, and one reason I nearly stuck with them was because I LOVE their chocolate lava cake. I was really hoping there was just one really awesome treat to enjoy through the cruise that you cant get anywhere else, like carnivals lava cake.