Changing any travel plans folks?

ABoatNerd

Another sad day in world affairs.

Brussels airport and subway bombed. Many dead and injured

These are tourist travel areas ....

Confirmed terror attack.

Changing any travel plans folks?

ABoatNerd

No change, we will be in Belgium in May.

No change in plans. I will admit, it is a bit unsettling. We are taking the Constellation TA, FLL - Rome. When we get to Rome, we are flying to Munich to visit our ds and dil who have been working over there. They have done a lot of travel to surrounding countries. They will be back home in the USA by August 1st. With that said, it could happen here, just as easily. As you know, it has.

I've been concerned this would eventually happen. It's too late to change our May plans but am seriously considering cancelling our August cruise. Part of the reason is, I'd hate to have to put that kind of burden on our kids if something were to happen to us.

I'm sure this was planned before the latest psycho terrorist was apprehended.

If people change plans the terrorists win. Just be more vigilant.

Given this was in a Western airport, in a city already a known terrorist target very recently, it's hard to conceive how a person could be "more vigilant".

More like 'just accept the risk.'

I'm sure this was planned before the latest psycho terrorist was apprehended.

Speculation, but when he was picked up a few days back I heard that he'd already been plotting Brussels attacks. It's feasible that these were the result of that planning. (A bit quick to organise otherwise, and a bigger coincidence if they were someone else's plans.)

Belgium had feared they'd be the target of the next terrorist attack after November's massacre in Paris.

Our next cruise has a call at Zeebrugge which I do hope isn't cancelled. We take risks everyday in our lives that could lead to our sudden demise anytime...dying via car accident, plane crash, shooting by a stranger or Isis bomber is going to be traumatic for our family regardless of circumstance.

Belgium had feared they'd be the target of the next terrorist attack after November's massacre in Paris.

Our next cruise has a call at Zeebrugge which I do hope isn't cancelled. We take risks everyday in our lives that could lead to our sudden demise anytime...dying via car accident, plane crash, shooting by a stranger or Isis bomber is going to be traumatic for our family regardless of circumstance.

We have a cruise in Sept that also stops in Zeebrugge. I think the same way as above. I was in Turkey last month south of Ankara when one of the bombs went off. I still felt safe where I was.

It does not matter if people here say that they won't change their plans. It is obvious on another thread that European bookings are way down and this latest incident will not help. We will be heading to Europe in less than three weeks and the stress level will increase.

There is no solution to this threat in a western democracy. Our way of life is changing.

Edited by Quo Vadis?

If people change plans the terrorists win. Just be more vigilant.

I always shake my head in wonder when posters say they will 'just be more vigilant.'

What do you mean by that? If you have some special training which helps increase your safety, please share it. Have you been unfortunate enough to have been in a situation where your extra vigilance protected you and those traveling with you?

Each individual has their own comfort level and family responsibilities which help them determine their travel plans. I never respond flippantly or with callousness when someone expresses hesitation about visiting Israel, and if they ask my opinion about the safety of a visit I answer with respect and consideration. I don't belittle their fears or feelings, and I certainly would never imply that their personal feelings were implicit in the current situation!

Edited by happy trailer

This will have move the authorities into changing the rules when entering airports. The bomb went off in an area where anyone can walk into an airport even if they don't have a flight to catch.

This was always going to be an issue. Stricter controls required which I believe the travelling public will not have an issue with if it prevents these horror events.

We are scheduled to cruise the Emerald Princess in July with a stop in Bruges (Zeebrugge) on July 4. I'm still planning the trip as usual but I have a feeling my husband will be apprehensive about this trip thanks to his mother and her attitude about overseas travel (we haven't spoken about it yet this morning). I agree with those that won't let terrorists win by allowing fear to take over. I tell people all the time that I am more likely to die driving to work than by a terrorist bomb here in the U.S. or elsewhere.

It does not matter if people here say that they won't change their plans. It is obvious on another thread that European bookings are way down and this latest incident will not help. We will be heading to Europe in less than three weeks and the stress level will increase.

There is no solution to this threat in a western democracy. Our way of life is changing.

I hope that timid/scared/frightened/whoever people do cancel their cruises. It will simply make it cheaper for me and those who are not timid/scared/frightened/whoever

I always shake my head in wonder when posters say they will 'just be more vigilant.' What do you mean by that? If you have some special training which helps increase your safety, please share it. Have you been unfortunate enough to have been in a situation where your extra vigilance protected you and those traveling with you? Each individual has their own comfort level and family responsibilities which help them determine their travel plans.

wales4ever: I hope that timid/scared/frightened/whoever people do cancel their cruises. It will simply make it cheaper for me and those who are not timid/scared/frightened/whoever

Quo Vadis?: It does not matter if people here say that they won't change their plans. It is obvious on another thread that European bookings are way down and this latest incident will not help. We will be heading to Europe in less than three weeks and the stress level will increase. There is no solution to this threat in a western democracy. Our way of life is changing.

There are an interesting and varied range of opinions' date=' comments and thoughts on this thread. Ruth, above, is smart on making the point that [b']"just be more vigilant"[/b] is not exactly a clear and/or effective strategy/plan. And with Ruth being in Israel, she has added perspective that is very important. Having just gotten back from southern Africa and flying through the Middle East, we are fairly "safe" for the near future as we have no immediate, upcoming international travel plans. BUT, sadly, my sense is that there will be many more of these attacks to be coming during the future months and years. We can't talk "politics" here, but this overall issue is not easy or simple. Many travelers will want to limit certain upcoming travel in Europe, for parts of the Med, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 138,040 views for this posting.

This will have move the authorities into changing the rules when entering airports. The bomb went off in an area where anyone can walk into an airport even if they don't have a flight to catch.

This was always going to be an issue. Stricter controls required which I believe the travelling public will not have an issue with if it prevents these horror events.

We had this level of security in Northern Ireland during "the troubles" No one got into the airport if they weren't flying and the security checks and scanners were at the entrance before check in. This level of security would be impractical at major European airports and would do nothing to detract suicide bombers.

These are going to be a fact of life for many years to come and can occur unpredictably anywhere there are crowds. Its a matter of bad luck being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Like others we have a cruise planned for July also stops in Brugges, on July 18th. We will still go, only once caveat is if things are popping all over Europe at the time then we might rethink it, however I would expect the same thing here (U.S.) could happen anytime.

We have a Muslim group in our little county here in Tennessee and we all know of it (they have a compound). The FBI has been watching them so that makes me feel somewhat better. I guess what I am saying is that it can happen anytime, anywhere!!!

Recent terror events will not stop me traveling to Europe (or Turkey); at least I haven't reached the point yet where I'd consider changing plans.

I understand everyone has differing levels of concern, and I respect that. To me, travel is too precious to give up, and unfortunately I am primarily interested in places that were associated with Roman and Greek history -- so no particular interest in traveling to South America, for instance....

Quite honestly, I'd rather die, if it's my time, out seeing and doing what I love than sitting at home in an armchair.

I am Belgian, live 30 minutes from Brussels and have many friends there. What happened this morning is terrible...

Please don't let this scare you and keep visiting our wonderful little country.You don't want to miss our beer, fries and chocolate :)

Recent terror events will not stop me traveling to Europe (or Turkey); at least I haven't reached the point yet where I'd consider changing plans.

I understand everyone has differing levels of concern, and I respect that. To me, travel is too precious to give up, and unfortunately I am primarily interested in places that were associated with Roman and Greek history -- so no particular interest in traveling to South America, for instance....

Quite honestly, I'd rather die, if it's my time, out seeing and doing what I love than sitting at home in an armchair.

I agree regarding travel. Also, I love ancient history as well. However, DW and I have very much enjoyed our trips to South America, Australia, and Asia.

I wanted to take my DW to Egypt. I have been there twice and wanted to go back. However, the terrorist have been targeting tourists. Still, I know people that have recently gone to Egypt and loved it. I think that it is smart to weight the risk of being the victim of an attack vs. the benefits of travel. Aside from avoiding the obvious places like Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, I could consider going anywhere. Still, going to the North Cape of Norway or Alaska doesn't seem very risky right now. We still have a drive tour of England and Wales planned for 2017, as well as a river cruise in Portugal in May 2016.

My personal views/approach is somewhat close to what is wisely reflected above by cruisemom42. BUT, my wife, however, is more of a worrier for these "worst case" potentials and much more conservative about her approach for where to travel. Or, not!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 195,715 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923