What do YOU do after your cruise?

Cashew14

We only have 2 cruises under our belt which were wonderful. Well....until the last day came along and we did not even want to leave the ship! :D

In our case our flights left on the same day which is even more a downer.

This year (cruise in December) we decided to stay in Florida for a few more days just to wind down and not being thrown back into "cold" reality. :D

What do you do, do you fly straight back home or do you "wind down" like we do?

Andrea :)

It depends on which port we end in and the time for flights. When we have real late flights we will stay for a day or more. You essentially get an extra day since you can check luggage at your hotel in the morning when you get off the ship and again when checking out for pickup in the evening.

It depends on where I am when I deport......I wouldn't stay in Miami for an extra day or two , for instance (no real appeal), but I spent 4 days in Lisbon before flying home. On my next cruise, I disembark in Auckland, and I'll be spending over a week there before flying home. Well, over a week in New Zealand, not spending all of it in Auckland. Essentially, I'd only stay if it's a location I actually want to spend time in, not just to prolong my holiday.

So far we have always flown home the same day. One of these days we will stay a day or two. If (when) we do a European cruise we will definitely extend our stay, probably pre and post cruise.

I will wave you good bye at the end of our cruise while we still relax. ;)

But jokes aside Daisy, as you said if you have to fly a long way back then why not add a few days. It gives you time to unwind and still see a few more things or even chill in the hotel for a few more days.

Usually we fly home the same day, especially if it is Miami or Ft. Lauderdale as we have been there so many times. The only reason we wouldn't would be because of flight schedules.

It depends in other ports, partly on our schedule and when we need to get home, partly on flights (we use FF miles almost exclusively and sometimes can't get the flights we want on a certain day) and sometimes we just want to spend more time in a certain place, as when we spent 3 post-cruise days in Rome.

Since we normally cruise for at least 14 days, it's not as hard to get off the ship as when on a week-long (or less) cruise, which seems to fly by.

For us it depends also depends on the city where we finish. When we sailed out of Galveston we drove home that day...because we grew up in Southeast Texas and you went to Galveston when there was nothing else to do during the summer. This last cruise was out of San Juan...and we stayed a extra day before and after. The next cruise is out of Galveston...see above comment.

We are looking at an Alaskan cruise in 2015. We will fly to Seattle and take Amtrak to Vancouver (a LOT cheaper). Since we have never been up there we will stay an extra couple of day and see Seattle.

With most of our European cruises we spend a few days (or more) both before and after the cruise. We are both retired so there is good reason to get home at once. For those cruises we take that end in Ft. Lauderdale we do just head for home as home is just up the road.

Because we have the time, we generally stay in port of debarkation for a day or two. Not only do you avoid the hassle of rushing to the airport, you very often can save enough on the air fare by being able to schedule more flights (earlier in the day, which means you get home at a better time) to pay for the cost of the room. This year we are staying in Miami and taking the train up north the next day, after getting off our trans-Atlantic.

Of course, an added essential is to have your next cruise already booked - or at least in the planning stages.

When we go to Europe we always stay after the cruise. Florida generally not any more, have in the past.

We have also come home and then driven to the wine country in California and chilled out for a few days before returning to work. That was before we retired. Now we can chill out at home.

Our next European cruise we end up in Barcelona, stay at a beach down just south of Barcelona for 3 nights. In October 2014 we end up in Rome, flying to Paris to stay a few nights. We have done Rome many times.

Doing a 7 day California cruise the end of this month out of San Francisco, will simply head home, 30 miles south of San Francisco.

Usually we fly in Maine USA and depending on what time our flight gets in at, if its real late we end up staying the extra night since it is a 5 hour drive home.. FYI: We live in Canada and I cant afford to fly out of Canada, well I can but that would be less money to spend on board :rolleyes:

Depending which port we leave out of, sometimes we just ride home in a car/bus/or train, like from NY of NJ and we come strait home. In other ports, we usually do a pre-stay. Once the cruise is over, I'm anxious to get home, and no matter how nice the place is you might stay at post-cruise (for us anyway) it's always a let down after being on a ship.

We only have 2 cruises under our belt which were wonderful. Well....until the last day came along and we did not even want to leave the ship! :D

In our case our flights left on the same day which is even more a downer.

This year (cruise in December) we decided to stay in Florida for a few more days just to wind down and not being thrown back into "cold" reality. :D

What do you do, do you fly straight back home or do you "wind down" like we do?

If we are flying we try to stay at least the day before and the day after (if not longer) to make the vacation more stress free. If we are driving and the timing will allow we try to do the same but there have been some tight schedules with driving so there have been times when we had to start driving right when we got off the ship. I prefer the trips where we can build in some time at the port city, but schedules don't always allow it.

I prefer getting home ASAP....I don't want to "chill" after a great cruise with a bunch of dirty clothes!

We do like to go a day or two early, just to get the vacation mood going! But, once it's over...homeward bound!!!

I have mine cleaned on the ship :cool: :)

I cruise from a port that's less than an hour drive from home. I linger on the ship and am one of the last ones off, and I'm still home well before noon. I head to the farmer's market for lunch and shopping, then go on with my weekend as usual. :cool:

I prefer getting home ASAP....I don't want to "chill" after a great cruise with a bunch of dirty clothes!

We do like to go a day or two early, just to get the vacation mood going! But, once it's over...homeward bound!!!

Treat yourself to sending at least most of your laundry out. What a relief to unpack clean clothes that only need to be put away. :)

We often sail out of NY in winter. the 1st & last day are not outside, fun-in-the-sun days. That cold day inside on board as it gradually gets colder helps us ease back into the northeast instead of boarding a plane where it's 70F & getting off where it's 10F

We often sail out of NY in winter. the 1st & last day are not outside, fun-in-the-sun days. That cold day inside on board as it gradually gets colder helps us ease back into the northeast instead of boarding a plane where it's 70F & getting off where it's 10F

I know the feeling lol :D stepping out of the plane in flip flops makes my little toes freeze :D

I will wave you good bye at the end of our cruise while we still relax. ;)

But jokes aside Daisy, as you said if you have to fly a long way back then why not add a few days. It gives you time to unwind and still see a few more things or even chill in the hotel for a few more days.

Cruisebabe, you'll be waving and I'll be crying!! I hate when vacations end, and it's back to the daily grind. :(

Archived