Hurricane season?

Thinking about cruising November 10th on the anthem out of nj. Boyfriend is very worried about hurricane season and the previous issues anthem has had with bad weather.... Can anyone help me ease his mind with info about cruising to the Caribbean in November??

Thanks so much!!

Thinking about cruising November 10th on the anthem out of nj. Boyfriend is very worried about hurricane season and the previous issues anthem has had with bad weather.... Can anyone help me ease his mind with info about cruising to the Caribbean in November??

Thanks so much!!

Hurricane season is 6 months a yr with Nov being rare for them. Tell him stop being a baby

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Thanks so much!!

I've never cruised in November, but have in Sept. If there is any bad weather, they will most likely sail around it, as they don't want any damage to their ships and for guests safety! And there are a lot of ports close to each other in the Caribbean, so as long as you are ok with the potential for a different itinerary, you will be fine!

I love hurricane season cruising because lower prices and I feel like the ocean is at it's warmest.

Thanks so much!!

Don't know about Anthem but have lived in Florida since 1961 and don't recall any Hurricane issues in November. The end of August and all of September is when we really watch for Hurricanes. November 10 is our wedding anniversary. We have sailed in September on the Allure out of Ft. Lauderdale and had Tshirts made "Hurricand Dodgers" for Sailaway, one of the best cruises ever. Sailed from Port Liberty to Bermuda in June a few years ago and we did have choppy waters but nothing to worry about. BF needs to go with the flo and enjoy life and not worry about Hurricanes in November.

We will be doing a B2B in sept out of SanJuan.As I look at the hurricane map there are two storms coming off of Africa now.We did sail one year with hurricane Isabella,the Captain reversed the port and went away from the storm with NO problem.We did have a lot of fun because people cancelled.There were no crowds by the pool LOL

In early November, 2008, we were sailing out of Miami on FOS. A hurricane was about to hit the Caribbean right over our ports. It was raining and windy when we boarded, but nothing terrible. To save the cruise RCCL and the captain reversed the order of the ports. We trailed behind the hurricane and had good weather for the entire trip. We were lucky.

There will always be storms; no predicting where or when. I believe the Anthem storm was a merged Northeaster. And Northeasters can be spring or fall.

We book when the price is good, and that's usually September through November, early December, and January.

The weather happens or not.

We usually cruise more for the ports, but this time it will be for the large ship, the Oasis.

First time cruising in September, but figured as long as the ship can sail, we'll be good. Really don't care where it goes.

Hurricanes are less common in November, but are still possible. The problem the Anthem faces is that to get to Bermuda and the Caribbean it has to sail down the east coast. Ships based in Florida and the Gulf of Mexico have more alternative routes available to avoid the storms.

Hurricane season simply means conditions are right for storms to form....doesn't mean they will...and if they do, doesn't mean they will ATTACK you, or anything like that! It's merely weather. You can't control it...and even the "experts" can't predict it, more than a few days out.

Don't worry about that which you cannot control.

We were on Explorer of the Seas and went right through Hurricane Sandy "Storm of the Century" at the end of October/beginning of November, and we survived just fine with lots of great stories to tell! Just go with it and enjoy the adventure of the unknown!

We sailed in Oct. during a hurricane, bad one, but can't remember the name now -- it destroyed Cozumel which was one of our ports. We were rerouted to go around it and we actually never knew there was a hurricane if we hadn't watched the news before we left.

Have never sailed in November, but like everyone else says, November is not a big hurricane month. Just take out travel insurance.

Edited by Terre

Thanks so much!!

Sorry to do the "armchair psychologist" thing, but my guess is there's something else at the root of this phobia. Did he see Titanic too many times as a kid? :)

(I won't lie, though, the Anthem thing sounded awful and has actually made me somewhat superstitious about that ship--and I am not a superstitious person. But that situation was definitely an outlier. I don't even think twice about cruising in hurricane season--ship can outrun 'em.)

Thanks so much!!

The season is over by then, but then you have coastal storms and cold weather.

We were on Explorer of the Seas and went right through Hurricane Sandy "Storm of the Century" at the end of October/beginning of November, and we survived just fine with lots of great stories to tell! Just go with it and enjoy the adventure of the unknown!

We were on Jewel during Sandy. Amazing stories to tell, you are quite right.

With the up to date and advanced sonar,radar etc equipment that all all ships have,they just turn a different direction to miss any large storms.Hurricanes are generally slow moving systems and most ships have plenty of time to decide what direction they want to go to avoid storms. Do not worry any and all capable Captains will steer and veer away from any potential storms.

Only once we were diverted and it was in november.There are so many ports that are close in the Caribbean

With the up to date and advanced sonar,radar etc equipment that all all ships have,they just turn a different direction to miss any large storms.

Nice in theory and true most of the time.

However, did you miss what happened to Anthem in February?

Nice in theory and true most of the time.

However, did you miss what happened to Anthem in February?

When humanity can completely control the weather, avoiding storms 100% of the time will be possible.

Until then, we have to accept the fact that we cannot control or 100% predict the weather. Storms will change course, blow up out of nothing, and become far beyond what was predicted. It's called nature.

When humanity can completely control the weather, avoiding storms 100% of the time will be possible.

Until then, we have to accept the fact that we cannot control or 100% predict the weather. Storms will change course, blow up out of nothing, and become far beyond what was predicted. It's called nature.

IIRC, the warnings for the Anthem storm had been out for days, hence the class-action lawsuit. I think the only nature at fault here is *human* nature.