What's Your Favorite Part of the Cruise?

cruiserking

I love the whole cruise from beginning to end. But, one of my most favorite times is the very first day. I realize that the first day is included in the cruise fare, but, I always feel like those first few hours aboard before the ship steams away, are like a special windfall we've all lucked into.

I love getting aboard the ship, exploring this wonderland and knowing there is a brand new adventure waiting to unfold and we haven't even left the dock yet.

What's yours?

Jonathan

Highlights the excursions in ports. We cruise specifically for varied ports and there is always one port and excursion that is the highlight.

Of course the sitdown breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner on sea days is a thing we look forward to as quality time with family and no smartphones is also special

Highlights the excursions in ports. We cruise specifically for varied ports and there is always one port and excursion that is the highlight.

Of course the sitdown breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner on sea days is a thing we look forward to as quality time with family and no smartphones is also special

Yes, excursions particularly in Europe can be very exciting. Big fan of the sit down breakfast. Just dreaming about some nice French Toast yesterday as I munched my boring cereal. ;)

I always get a special thrill when I first set foot on the ship. The entire cruise is still ahead of me with all kinds of wonderful possibilities.

Love that first day on board, it's so thrilling. It always feels as if it's just a continuation of the last great cruise, the adventure continues.

Jonathan

It seems unanimous. Most of us veteran cruise fans feel the same about the first day aboard.

I suppose I should have asked what are some of your favorite things about cruising?

I always love watching the ship arrive into port in the wee hours of the early morning. As we inch closer to shore the lights still twinkling as gradually this little dot on the horizon becomes a mountainous island.

Jonathan

I always love watching the ship arrive into port in the wee hours of the early morning. As we inch closer to shore the lights still twinkling as gradually this little dot on the horizon becomes a mountainous island.

That's my favorite...waking up early and watching the ship arrive from my balcony. :-)

But maybe not such a thrill on the last day. :-(

On a Caribbean cruise, sitting on the sun deck relaxing in the ocean air.

Going on interesting excursions.

I can't wait for that feeling of steaming along the sea without a care beyond what chilled soup will be served at dinner.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

My favorite is being at sea - nothing on the horizon but sea & sky.

Sitting on an outside deck with the breezes going through my hair.

:) :) :)

Yes. I love this image too. I can just shut my eyes and dream...

Jonathan

Checking in at the pier.

Now I know the cruise is ready to start.

Absolutely. Checking-in is great, you're finally there not just dreaming.

Another favorite part of mine occurs just before. That moment you round the corner and BAM, there's your ship gleaming in the sun. It's real now. It's cruise day. Awesome.

Jonathan

The first few hours are special: you are just starting out. You either refamiliarize yourself with a ship you have enjoyed before, or you explore a new one. Checking out the MDR to locate your table (we always request assigned at a large table). Sail-away is magical - always with a special drink. Then meeting your table-mates - we are both reasonably sociable (and lucky, I suppose - as we have always had interesting and enjoyable dinner companions --- and fortunately people who do not enjoy interacting with new contacts at dinner will have opted against traditional) --- we have never had a cruise without having at least two - often more - enjoyable dining couples.

Favorite moment: Embarking and hearing a crew member say: "Welcome Aboard!"

Other favorites: Returning from a tiring shore excursion and hearing a crew member say: "Welcome Home!

The ship is enveloped in fog, the fog horn is working, I am seated in a deck chair on an open, maybe somewhat sheltered, deck, wrapped in a deck blanket.

Room Service Breakfast, served on my veranda if I have one.

And, of course, the magical time of sailaway!

I'm unusual; the initial embarkation isn't one of my favorites. I'll explain why in a moment. Here's what did make my list (not in order):

* The end of the safety drill. That usually means that departure is imminent and the vacation has truly begun.

* Getting off in port

* The rare moments when no one is chattering on the speaker, in the neighboring cabin, or out in the hall, and I can hear the ocean splash as we move across the sea

* Reviewing the newsletter and finding something that's worth doing the next day

* Looking at some advertising flyers and seeing something that's worth buying

* Winning an Official Piece of Junk for knowing the right answers, or something similar

OK, back to getting on the ship. Nice, yes, but... by the time I've gotten there, I've been traveling for several hours, stood in several lines, gone through security twice, had my ugly mug taken once, and stiff-armed the other photogs from taking another photo. I'm tired, grouchy, and hungry. I have to decide whether to unpack first, eat first, or take a much-needed nap.

I love the first sea day. Nothing scheduled. Totally relaxing day to wander the ship or to read or to take part in activities or to laze by the pool. That is cruising.