Tell me about your carry-on?

thehams

I am NOT one of those girls that can take everything in my carry-on. I'm a over packer, but I'm ok with that :D I will have my checked luggage bag, my carry-on and a large purse.

My current luggage bag didn't come with a carry-on, so I'm wondering what you all bring as your carry-on. A carry-on suite case, duffle bag, large tote.

AND what do you put in your carry-on?

I typically check one bag and carry on one smaller bag. The carry-on is usually a wheeled captain's case. I have a phobia about losing luggage, whether it be courtesy of the airline or the cruise line. I cross pack my checked and carry-on bags. That way I have a variety of mostly everything wardrobe and footwear in my smaller bag, which I do not relinquish at the airport, nor at the ship.

I keep telling my husband that if the airline (or cruise line) loses my luggage at the beginning of a trip, I will still be able to do a mini-cruise.

What I put in my "carry-on" suitcase is all the clothes, one pair of shoes, and some of the sundries I will need on my trip. What goes in my "personal item" (tote or daypack) is electronics (including book reader), paperwork, knitting, toiletries/3-1-1, protein bars... the little "stuff" for comfort on the plane.

My just-ex carryon was this (but black)

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100083302/ricardo-of-beverly-hills-ricardo-of-beverly-hills-20-dual-wheel-spinner-carry-on-blue-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=rating

It weighs 7.6lbs empty.

My NEW soon to go on its first flight and cruise, is this:

http://www.ebags.com/product/it-luggage/worlds-lightest-2-wheel-collection-with-non-locking-handle-22-upright/288578?productid=10346471

It weighs 3.2lbs. That is a non-trivial almost four and a half pounds of clothing I can pack and still stay within carryon limits -- that more airlines are starting to enforce! Some as low as 15lbs (Qantas) or 18lbs (TAM and Austrian). But even without the limits, it is 4.4lbs I do not have to lug and heft.

When we did check suitcases, my carryon was an Eagle Creek, convertible to a backpack, and my personal item was much smaller, usually a EC Sidekick waist bag. Because with a large checked bag, I needed to keep my hands free for the time before checking and after claiming.

ETA -- when we did check, there was much planning to do (I would make spreadsheets!) to cross pack across the two suitcases and then to carry enough to get by if a bag was lost, like @logan, above. It was when we got to Dublin Ireland and neither of our bags appeared on the carousel -- and I said to my husband, "we'll be OK if they don't get here" -- that I had an epiphany: checked luggage might not be necessary! It might not even be desirable!

Edited by crystalspin

I actually don't carry much on my carry on, cruise or no cruise. I have suffered the lost (stolen) luggage and that still hasn't changed my habits. If I survived with nothing but the clothes I was wearing and my money/passport while backpacking in Europe at 15, I can do fine anywhere at 30. That isn't to say this works for everyone.

I pack my ereader, my prescription medication, a pair of underwear, tooth brush, camera and laptop, although I often omit the laptop and it all goes into a computer bag. I'd rather have an extra bag in case I buy more than fits in my suitcase.

Edited by PaintedBird

When I check luggage...

I make the effort to put most everything into my checked luggage. If I'm going to check luggage, then I prefer to not be weighed down with too much carry on. That said, I will carry on everything that would break my heart to lose or be difficult to replace on board. Usually, I use a fairly large lined, canvas tote bag with a zipper closure at the top of the bag...this bag doubles as my beach bag during the cruise. Inside will be:

Jewelry

Cosmetics

Specialized toiletries (i.e. care for eye contacts)

Eye glasses in case (if wearing contacts)

Goggles and sunglasses

Electronics (Kindle, camera, chargers)

Needed travel related documents (if any)

Sometimes, I will also include whatever clothing item I might need before my luggage would available to me; this might include a swim suit, cover up, and/or a sundress to wear to dinner, if my outfit of the day would be unacceptable in the dining room.

While I might be concerned about lost luggage...I travel with DH and DS and we cross pack the checked baggage. It would be unfortunate if all our bags were lost BUT...we could all manage well enough if at least one bag made it through.

My carry on is a backpack or small overnight case that I can stow under the seat, I check everything else. I am short and don't want to heave anything into the overhead, nor do I want to mess with the 3-1-1 stuff since my products will not fit into a quart bag.

knitting

ereader

travel documents, cash etc.

jewelry

medications

chap stick

hoodie or sweater (I get cool in air conditioning)

I take two carryons. One is a roller bag that contains my jewelry (I take a lot), camera, large underwater strobe light, arms for attaching the strobe, dive logbook, curling irons, two Judith Lieber purses, all cruise documents, dive computer, and a few other things. It weighs more than 25 pounds.

My backpack holds my laptop, iPad, Ikelite camera case for diving, bag with regulator and dive mask, snacks, and purse. It weighs about 15 pounds.

I'm glad we're driving to Long Beach for our next cruise.

If going to Caribbean, my carryon will have a swimsuit, two changes of underwear, basic toilet articles/makeup, jewelry, two changes of top, one pair casual capri pants, Rx meds. I travel in decent black slacks, black flats and comfortable/washable top. If luggage doesn't come, I can manage.

My carry-on is a small duffle bag type by Samsonite that squishes easily into the overhead bins. Color-wise it matches my wheeled check bag and fits nicely on top. I pack it with a few items of clothing in case my checked bags are late, and the stuff you don't put in checked luggage but that I don't need to access on the flight (jewelry, meds, etc.) I try to keep it fairly light for carrying between gates. I don't like wheeled carry-ons because for me they are hard to maneuver down the aisle, hard to put in the overheads and hard to deal with once you have your checked luggage.

My personal carry-on is the same bag I take when I'm off the ship. It has room for all the things I want to be able to get at (tablet, I-pod, trail mix, Ids and paperwork), but fits beneath the seat with room for my feet.

If I am just going on a week long vacation/cruise I take this 'rolling' bag with me - keep all my valuables close by of course: meds, ipad, ipod, snacks/water bottle for plane, reading material and anything' heavy' that does not make it into the checked bag - it is also useful for bringing wine/soft drinks/water onboard to avoid having to carry all those heavy bottles!

26384_0_140311154525.jpg

I then carry a coach tote bag as my 'personal' item/purse onboard (and use it on the ship).

If I am going overseas or on a longer cruise (and no 'laundry perks') I will take a 21 inch spinner onboard with me - again packing one change of clothes, valuables, and a tote again for under the seat. Right now I have this Heys one which is compliant with european carryon size restrictions - something like this (but mine is black with pink trim)

http://shop.heys.ca/collections/created-luggage/products/helix-21-softside-spinner

I find a spinner is easiest to manage down the narrow plane aisles and thru airports - and I prefer a soft side with a pocket on the outside so I can place easy to reach items there (e.g. liquids baggies, etc).

Edited by Froufie

I need a bag that big to go to lunch with the girls. :D

Now that I will be traveling without my late DH, I will downsize my carryon as I'll have to manage everything myself but it will have wheels and will be at least 18-19". I have this set habit about wanting to keep as much with me as possible. I don't trust airline luggage handlers to get my bag(s) from point A to Point B intact and arrive when I do. :D :D

I use the "carry on" sized spinner than matches my luggage and that goes in the overhead, with no plans to open it during flights. It has my camera, lenses, jewelry, medication, and a change or two of clothing and one pair of sandals.

I use a fairly large, crossbody tote for my personal item which has my iPad, phone, Kindle, travel docs, very small crossbody purse, snacks, a clean shirt in case I spill.

I just got back from a 2 week trip to Istanbul and the Maldives. I only took an international size carry-on and a tote bag (as my personal item). I consider myself "medium maintenance" - so this took quite a lot of planning. What really helped were the packing cubes I used in my carry-on.

This is my carry-on: The eBags Motherlode Mini Wheeled Duffel

motherlode.jpg

I won't go into all the fancy features, but there are many. The ones that were important to me were the international travel compliant size, the nicely designed zippers and wheels, the lifetime warranty, and the really long handle (for my freakishly tall spouse). It fits tons more stuff in it than it looks like it would. This is normally $240, but with rebates, sales and coupons you can get this for close to $100.

I used the eBags packing cubes inside. A large, medium and two smalls worked perfectly.

packing2.jpg

Here's what I stuffed into them:

In one small cube I packed my lingerie, and in another I packed 5 swimsuits. Not just flimsy bikinis either. I am... how shall I say it... blessed in the chest, so my suits need HARDWARE in them. ;)

In the medium size, (my cold weather cube), I packed 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 sweaters, 2 tank tops, one pair of leggings, 2 pair of socks and a scarf. I could have easily fit more in here.

In the large, (my hot weather cube), I packed a pair of sandals, a maxi dress, 3 short dresses, a swimsuit cover-up, 2 pair of shorts, 2 tank tops, a T-shirt, and a cardigan. Again - there was room left for more. And here's what it looked like all packed: (the additional small cube fits in the top)

And this is my tote: The baggalini Kindred Tote

kindred.jpg

Besides being the exact size I needed for the international restrictions, and made of a fabric that is lightweight, water & stain resistant, the main factors that sold me were these:

The shoulder straps are the perfect length to pull onto my shoulder with one arm... you know what I mean ladies. It's a thing.

There is a sleeve on one side that allows you to slip it over the handle of your carry-on to roll through the airport so you don't have to carry it on your shoulder.

There is a padded pocket on the front that is large enough to hold my iPad and Kindle.

There is a pocket on the top between the zipper and binding that is big enough for my passport and iPhone 6 Plus.

This is normally $65, but with rebates and coupons you can get it for close to $40.

In this bag I had a zip-top container with my liquids, one with my makeup, one with my medications/first-aid, one with panty-liners, antibac wipes & hair stuff (small brush, hair ties, bobby pins, clips), and in the pockets I had gum & mints, my journal, pens, ear plugs & an eye mask.

Now, all that being said, for our upcoming Med cruise I will likely check a bag - our 3 kiddos are going, and I can't imagine managing 5 carry-on suitcases. :o

Typically I use my knapsack as my carry-on, and it holds my camera and laptop (with the cables and chargers), my noise-canceling headphones, a small Ziploc with a few toiletries and my lens solutions, my glasses, my iPhone (with cables), my wallet, and my passport and tickets. Also a water bottle (empty until I'm past security) and any jewelery I might be taking.

I just got back from a 2 week trip to Istanbul and the Maldives. I only took an international size carry-on and a tote bag (as my personal item). I consider myself "medium maintenance" - so this took quite a lot of planning. What really helped were the packing cubes I used in my carry-on.

This is my carry-on: The eBags Motherlode Mini Wheeled Duffel

motherlode.jpg

I won't go into all the fancy features, but there are many. The ones that were important to me were the international travel compliant size, the nicely designed zippers and wheels, the lifetime warranty, and the really long handle (for my freakishly tall spouse). It fits tons more stuff in it than it looks like it would. This is normally $240, but with rebates, sales and coupons you can get this for close to $100.

I used the eBags packing cubes inside. A large, medium and two smalls worked perfectly.

packing2.jpg

Here's what I stuffed into them:

In one small cube I packed my lingerie, and in another I packed 5 swimsuits. Not just flimsy bikinis either. I am... how shall I say it... blessed in the chest, so my suits need HARDWARE in them. ;)

In the medium size, (my cold weather cube), I packed 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 sweaters, 2 tank tops, one pair of leggings, 2 pair of socks and a scarf. I could have easily fit more in here.

In the large, (my hot weather cube), I packed a pair of sandals, a maxi dress, 3 short dresses, a swimsuit cover-up, 2 pair of shorts, 2 tank tops, a T-shirt, and a cardigan. Again - there was room left for more. And here's what it looked like all packed: (the additional small cube fits in the top)

And this is my tote: The baggalini Kindred Tote

kindred.jpg

Besides being the exact size I needed for the international restrictions, and made of a fabric that is lightweight, water & stain resistant, the main factors that sold me were these:

The shoulder straps are the perfect length to pull onto my shoulder with one arm... you know what I mean ladies. It's a thing.

There is a sleeve on one side that allows you to slip it over the handle of your carry-on to roll through the airport so you don't have to carry it on your shoulder.

There is a padded pocket on the front that is large enough to hold my iPad and Kindle.

There is a pocket on the top between the zipper and binding that is big enough for my passport and iPhone 6 Plus.

This is normally $65, but with rebates and coupons you can get it for close to $40.

In this bag I had a zip-top container with my liquids, one with my makeup, one with my medications/first-aid, one with panty-liners, antibac wipes & hair stuff (small brush, hair ties, bobby pins, clips), and in the pockets I had gum & mints, my journal, pens, ear plugs & an eye mask.

Now, all that being said, for our upcoming Med cruise I will likely check a bag - our 3 kiddos are going, and I can't imagine managing 5 carry-on suitcases. :o

I know what you mean with the swimsuits, I am as well, blessed in the chest and I think I need a separate bag for all of my large bikini tops, lol.

ThAnk you for all the great tips. Do you mind sharing where you got coupons and such for the duffel? They have it for $190 on ebags.

Got the same eBag minus the wheels - the Motherlode TLS Weekender Jr. It has the hidden backpack straps instead of wheels. Makes it lighter and I don't need the wheels for a bag that small. The Motherlode series is just bulletproof, worth the money.

DH and I use this carry-on; we've downsized from the traditional carry-on size you get with luggage sets to a smaller version (17") and really like it.

http://www.ebags.com/product/london-fog/coventry-17-wheeled-tote/245371?productid=10219068&couponid=76676243&sourceID=BIZRATE&CA_6C15C=1590570877

We can still pack a whack of stuff into them, even though it is in a different configuration. DH's contains: tuxedo in a zip-lock, shirt & accessories in a zip lock, dress shoes, meds, extra undies, t-shirt, golf shirt, shaving kit and medications. Mine easily carries my formal wear, strappy sandals, undies, sleepwear, a couple of tops and a pair of cotton slacks or capris, electronic chargers, curling iron, make-up (TSA size) and snacks.

I carry a large purse from lug with many pockets so I can always have my netbook, Blackberry Playbook, camera, etc. with me. We aren't loaded down when we travel (we've done that once too often!), and realize if we really need something, it can usually be purchased away from home.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We fly, but I am a chronic over packer and my makeup bag alone prevents me from doing a carry on.

So my carry on: A large tote bag, my ipad, charger, phone, pen, passports, cruise documents, sudoku book. A snack. I'm pretty simple. :) Give me my iPad and in air wireless and I'm a happy camper.

Plus for our next flight we got a cheap upgrade to first class so I don't have to pack a bunch of snacks~ we get a friggin meal!!!!

My current carry-on is this: http://www.target.com/p/skyline-30-drop-bottom-duffel-blue/-/A-14911495

my old ones were:

Similar but with cross bones, was my 1st one (the stitches came out when I try to pack bottles of water to it)

http://www.amazon.com/Rockland-Luggage-Rolling-Duffle-Black/dp/B002MVGEUA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1427592985&sr=8-7&keywords=rockland

It was cheap no-name brand 26 inch bag similar to this for my 2nd trip (the handle was broken by the port handlers)

http://www.amazon.com/Rockland-Luggage-Impact-Spinner-Piece/dp/B004FMFU9K/ref=sr_1_9?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1427593335&sr=1-9

I'm hoping the 3rd time is the charm (so far, alots of room in the new bag despite packing everything). I have a backpack for my toiletries (especially for hair - I need to put conditioner in my hair every night/ morning, not going to change that up for vacation) and a purse to hold my passport wallet, cell phone, pen(s) and paperwork. Lucky for me, the closest port is NY so all I have to do is ride the subway to it. :D

Edited by maywell

ThAnk you for all the great tips. Do you mind sharing where you got coupons and such for the duffel? They have it for $190 on ebags.

I love both of those bags too! Would love to find out additional info on sale possibilities too - but I did see that mrrebates is currently giving a 12% rebate and has a code for 15% off on luggage. I didn't check any other rebate site (I'm bad about that) Just bought the tote, but I really want that 21 inch carry on (I'm concerned about the carry on size I'm using for international travel).

LOL - I think I just talked myself into going back now to get the other bag!

What do I pack in my carry on bag?

Shoes, toiletries, small purses, sleepwear, jewelry.....and I always pack at least

2 sets of clothing....undergarments......if something by chance should

happen to my checked bag? I have clean clothing available. I normally

arrive in the city of departure a day early. Travel day.....usually I go

out to dinner and want to shower and change....sail day, what I am wearing during the day and 1st night's dinner

on the ship. Those outfits go in my carry on bag.

I have a 21inch wheeled carry on bag I use.

Edited by Lois R

I love both of those bags too! Would love to find out additional info on sale possibilities too - but I did see that mrrebates is currently giving a 12% rebate and has a code for 15% off on luggage. I didn't check any other rebate site (I'm bad about that) Just bought the tote, but I really want that 21 inch carry on (I'm concerned about the carry on size I'm using for international travel).

LOL - I think I just talked myself into going back now to get the other bag!

Hate when I can't edit my posts! Apparently the mrrebate code doesn't work for luggage on sale (although I was able to use a different code on the tote). Nevertheless, this post has highlighted to me the new international carry on requirements. I really love that bag posted - and some of the reviews say it was used for international travel - but it is slightly too big for the airline I will be using. Looks like I will need to go shopping!