Missing Luggage

GTmom

we arrived in Amsterdam for our Silhouette cruise today but our luggage did not! Trying to get JetBlue and Aer Lingus to find it but they are playing pass the blame. They say they will deliver to us when it is found but has anyone experienced this? We are going shopping quickly in the morning. We had packed a change of clothing in our carry on but that is going to get old real quick. My husband's sport coat and my dresses were in the luggage. Will Celebrity cut him a break or do we need to buy a new sport coat as well as new luggage, shoes etc. Anyone dealt with this before on a cruise. Thanks.

Sorry you are experiencing this. Usually the airlines do deliver luggage when it is found, but this obviously isn't going to help you if it is found after your ship has departed. I'd file a claim and ask the airlines to give you some allowance to buy clothes.

As for your husband missing his sport coat... I really don't think Celebrity is going to care. Many men don't bother wearing a suit or sport coat even during the "Evening Chic" nights.

Well, you've got until tomorrow for your luggage to show up. Good luck. Maybe it missed the transatlantic flight and will show up before you sail. Hope you had travel insurance that would pay for incidentals for delayed luggage.

Sports Coats are no longer a requirement on Celebrity.

This happened to us on a Mediterranean cruise ...back in the day...usair and spanair neither would take responsibility...we went the whole trip without the luggage and then it appeared on the last night. I would not get anything that is difficult to purchase. Get the stuff you will need for the everyday wear like shirts and shorts underwear...it probably did not make the transfer between the 2 airlines. hopefully you'll be at a port where the airline services.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

we arrived in Amsterdam for our Silhouette cruise today but our luggage did not! Trying to get JetBlue and Aer Lingus to find it but they are playing pass the blame. They say they will deliver to us when it is found but has anyone experienced this? We are going shopping quickly in the morning. We had packed a change of clothing in our carry on but that is going to get old real quick. My husband's sport coat and my dresses were in the luggage. Will Celebrity cut him a break or do we need to buy a new sport coat as well as new luggage, shoes etc. Anyone dealt with this before on a cruise. Thanks.

Yes, have also suffered. Celebrity best was a Gallic Shrug. Since this bad experience, invested in global luggage trackers. (Plenty of suppliers on line)

Luggage found one month after Cruise. All valuables gone. Had no proof they were packed, so Insurers gained.

Wish you luck.

I guess it depends on how likely you think you will get it.

You say they are blaming each other...do they actually know where your bags are? (I almost always fly Delta and they have a very good tracking system that is "real-time"ish)

If they know where your bags are, then they should have a pretty good idea if they will be in Amsterdam in time...then you can decide if you trust them to deliver them in time, or if you need to go to the airport and get them.

You will find many clothing stores near the train station/port that you can easily purchase clothes for the trip. (we shopped at H&M there last month)

Only time we had issue was flying to Galapagos and our bags didn't arrive with us on our flight into Miami where we were switching airlines to fly to Ecuador. We were about to leave the airport to buy clothes and while talking to the lost baggage people, they had us check the carousel for the next flight that flew the same route as ours into Miami...And the bags were there!. We were lucky...hope you are too! We haven't checked bags since!

• Like 1

In 2004 we took a Baltic cruise from Amsterdam. We used FF miles for the air, so the flights weren't the best. To make a long story short, we missed a connection in Copenhagen, so they put us on the next flight to Amsterdam, which was great: however, our bags went on to Paris where we originally were supposed to catch our flight to Copenhagen.

Somehow the bags never made it on the flight to Copenhagen and were stuck in Paris. We always go in a day early, so we had some wiggle room. By 11PM all but one of our bags arrived at our hotel, but the other was still in transit.

We left the hotel without the missing bag - Delta promised it would be on the ship. I held my breath until all my luggage arrived and was so releived when it showed up. That was the last time I've ever done a connection in Europe before a cruise.

The airlines should know exactly where your bags are due to today's tracking systems.

On one of our flights from Providence, I was seated watching them load luggage onto a plane. I saw our luggage being loaded on this plane at the next gate. It seemed that the gate had been switched but no one gave the word to the baggage crew. When I spoke up, they looked at me like I was high maintenance. I asked them to check and I was right. Lucky day.

Yes, have also suffered. Celebrity best was a Gallic Shrug. Since this bad experience, invested in global luggage trackers. (Plenty of suppliers on line)

Luggage found one month after Cruise. All valuables gone. Had no proof they were packed, so Insurers gained.

Wish you luck.

Please advise what proof would be that you packed something? We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in Dec & fortunately drive to the port, but I'm confused about "proof that something is packed" :confused:

Thanks..

All good advice. Buy just what you think you can't do without. If Celebrity booked the air, they should give you a little allowance but don't expect much; they play the blame game all the time. Keep all of your receipts even for laundry on board ship for your Travel Insurance claim (hope you bought it). Your DH does not need a blazer or suit as long as he has long pants and a few collared shirts, he will be fine. You dress slacks or skirt/dress will work well on all nights. There won't be much available on board ship, so get to a reasonable store ASAP for a few more basics.

Please advise what proof would be that you packed something? We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in Dec & fortunately drive to the port, but I'm confused about "proof that something is packed" :confused:

Thanks..

Pictures say a thousand words. Jewelry should never be packed with checked luggage; always carry it even costume in your Carry-on tote. Why tempt fate.

Wish you luck.

I guess I'm wondering why anyone would pack valuables in checked luggage, with all the stories of bags getting lost and baggage handlers going through bags and helping themselves to whatever looks good.

Stories about lost luggage is why I try to avoid checking bags at all costs. My theory is that even for a 10 day trip, if it doesn't fit in a carry on rollerboard, I'm packing too much.

What to expect from Celebrity!

Last summer airBerlin lost our luggage and we did not get it back (luckily we did get it back) until after our week's land trip to Berlin, Prague & Amsterdam and our 14 night Silhouette British Isles cruise.

We shopped in Berlin & Amsterdam and bought just enough clothes to suffice for the entire 3 weeks thanks to unlimited laundry provided by Celebrity so that we could send out our limited wardrobe just about every other day. The sizing between Europe & the U.S. was challenging- DH fit into size 27 slacks whereas mine were 40's. At home he's a 40 waist and I am size 8 to 10. Our roll call mates were amazing- bringing us warm sweaters, leggings, jackets, etc. since we were expecting chilly weather on our cruise.

The Silhouette's concierge was an incredibly diligent help to us- calling airBerlin daily, sending emails to them and keeping us informed. while trying all the while to see if and when our bags were located they could be delivered to our next port o'call. BTW we were not in a concierge class.

Our cabin attendant, Kate, was also so helpful. Celebrity provided us amenity kits that included T-shirts which doubled as nightgown for me.

It was a pain to spend our vacation time clothes, shoe, toiletry & cosmetic shopping but we were able to cobble together decent enough outfits that we never felt out of place even on evening chic nights!

Good Luck to you and I hope your luggage arrives before you embark. If not, Celebrity should be of great help in solving your dilemma. There were at least 4 other couples in the same boat as we (so to speak) on our Silhouette cruise.

We did not pack valuables or meds in our checked bags and we booked our own flights using American ff miles. We never did get reimbursed from airBerlin, which is now bankrupt, even though we engaged a European based attorney to pursue our claim, which airBerlin denied on our claim submission.

In the grand scheme of things, it is only things! Much worse could have befallen us than our missing luggage.

Edited by TMLAalum
  • Like 1

Isn't t just awful when this happens, we've started packing a change in our hand luggage and extra underwear just in case. I hope it turns up soon. Celebrity now have no need to dress up so so sports coat needed and you can have jeans, trousers and for mdr a collar so a polo/go,f shirt is ok for men. Laundry is great and tell guest relations what has happened and they will try to help out some way, even with laundry. Roll call buddies are great, even a sarong was a welcome lend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

British Airways failed to deliver our bags in Rome when we arrived 1 day prior to sailing out of Civitavecchia on Constellation due to the regular break downs of the baggage system in London Heathrow Terminal 5 (it still happens on a far too regular basis).

Even though we cross pack, that's no use when all bags are not delivered.

Anyway we spent the morning of sailing running around Civitavecchia purchasing essentials and a few bits of clothing.

Once on board we filed a report with the concierge and she was excellent in chasing the airline.

If I heard anything (which was little from the airline before we set sail) I passed it onto her.

One bag was sent to Naples and picked up by the Celebrity port agent and delivered before we sailed from Sorrento. So by day 2 we each had some more clothes.

Celebrity provided a tux, shoes, shirt etc for no fee for formal night.

The concierge kept on to the airline and made sure that once the other bag was found that it was sent to the next port which was Athens, just unfortunate that we had another sea day before reaching Athens where our bag was delivered just before we went ashore for our excursion. So finally after 5 days (4th day of the cruise) we had all our clothes.

All in all, without the help of the concierge I doubt we would have seen the bags again before the end of the cruise.

I know she had a hard time that sailing as there were 30 staterooms with no bags. She said it happens every cruise and so they have good communication with the airlines.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Call your insurance and check your policy. They all require a certain time delay before they will reimburse for items due to a luggage delay, assuming this is a delay and will eventually be found.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good luck to OP....feel your pain...even worse with 2 airlines pointing fingers at the other ...

We had none of our luggage arrive going from Islip NY to Seattle for an Inside Passage Cruise.via SW Air..change in Chicago....

Airport at Islip is municipally owned...they conducted a search, discovered that it and other folks' luggage was never even put on a plane,,, We were going to have to shop on day of the cruise departure.

Without warning, luggage miraculously arrived via taxi cab to our hotel in the middle of the night. Scary part is that the luggage went thru many flights getting to us..and basically airport staff just watched the carousel go round after each flight to see if it had arrived. Not very scientific!

We cross pack, overload the carry- ons with lots of clothing..all basics, drugs etc.. and never take clothes we can't afford to lose...sad but that's how it is...Dreading our next flight to LAX via Baltimore..you just never know!

Keep in mind that by IATA rules the last airline you flew on is responsible for tracking, finding and hopefully delivering your bags. If you flew Jet Blue and connected to Aer Lingus on a single ticket then it is Air Lingus' responsibility as the final carrier.

A couple of years ago we had 22 days in the med including a 12 day cruise with no Luggage. Definitely talk to the Pursers office, they should have someone on board thats job it is to track luggage. And if they don't get it to you soon...DO NOT let it ruin your cruise. Make a conscious decision now that you will not let what can be fixed with a couple of 100 $$$ ruin a trip that costs thousands.

Our first cruise was our honeymoon and we were arriving in Barcelona the same day it departed. We made it with time to spare but our bags got stuck in Madrid. I made sure the person at the lost and found was my "friend" and that we weren't leaving her sights until our bags arrived. Luckily she managed to get the ground crew in Madrid to locate them and we got to the port an 90 minutes before departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk