No extension cords thru Celebrity security

Debordo

Per Celebrity's website under "what not to pack".

For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

• Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas

• Sharp objects, including knives and scissors*

• Illegal drugs and substances

• Candles, incense, coffee makers, clothes irons, travel steamers and hot plates (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighters are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and are therefore prohibited.)

• Electrical extension cords

• Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows, and arrows

• Skateboards and surfboards

• Martial-arts gear

• Aerial drones

• Self-defense, including handcuffs, pepper spray, and night sticks

• Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid

• Explosives, including fireworks

• Hookahs & water hookah pipes

• Ham radios

• Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint

• Alcoholic beverages** (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing.)

If you have a question about an item you wish to take on board your cruise, please contact our reservations team.

* Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blades less than four inches are allowed.

Edited by davekathy

Please let me know if anyone hears anything about surge protectors. We each have our own computer tablet, cell phone, etc, so carry a multi outlet surge protector with us to keep electronics charged.

Most cruise lines will confiscate surge protectors, even if they allow extension cords. Power on a ship is distributed differently than on shore, and the surge protectors can be the cause of a fire if they short out and trip. This is a PDF report from the US Coast Guard: Surge Protective Devices (PDF file).

This link provides a recap of the alert in a web page; it's from the Seafarer's Union: http://www.seafarers.org/news/2013/Q%202/MarineSafetyAlert.htm

Even if you have been able to get them on board in the past without any problem, you should ensure the device you have is for marine electrical systems (the notice has details). They are not cheap, starting at about $90 I believe, and there's no guarantee that the ship's security personnel will allow those on either.

Regarding security, keep in mind that the security personnel in the terminal do not work for Celebrity, they work for the port. Celebrity tells them what to look out for, liquor, extension cords, whatever. How much enforcement there is can vary wildly. What might get through in one port could be confiscated in another port.

That being said, there is no need to bring an extensions cord for CPAP and other medical devices. Celebrity will provide. It's best to go through Special Needs prior to the cruise, but they have plenty on board.

As to power strips, IN GENERAL the kinds with cords are a problem, the kinds with multiple sockets in a cube shape (no cord) seem to be ok and are usually allowed.

Surge protectors should be avoided, for the reasons given above.

Most cruise lines will confiscate surge protectors, even if they allow extension cords. Power on a ship is distributed differently than on shore, and the surge protectors can be the cause of a fire if they short out and trip. This is a PDF report from the US Coast Guard: Surge Protective Devices (PDF file).

This link provides a recap of the alert in a web page; it's from the Seafarer's Union: http://www.seafarers.org/news/2013/Q%202/MarineSafetyAlert.htm

Even if you have been able to get them on board in the past without any problem, you should ensure the device you have is for marine electrical systems (the notice has details). They are not cheap, starting at about $90 I believe, and there's no guarantee that the ship's security personnel will allow those on either.

Thanks for the quick response, even if it wasn't what i wanted to hear. :) Had no problem with the surge protector on 2 cruises to Alaska on the Solstice. It's a heavy-duty one with short cord and odd-shaped end with multiple outlets. Guess I'd better contact special needs and arrange an extension cord for the CPAP and an extra one for some of the rest of the stuff. Thanks again for the unwelcome news. :)

Cheryl Corcoran

Regarding security, keep in mind that the security personnel in the terminal do not work for Celebrity, they work for the port. Celebrity tells them what to look out for, liquor, extension cords, whatever. How much enforcement there is can vary wildly. What might get through in one port could be confiscated in another port.

That being said, there is no need to bring an extensions cord for CPAP and other medical devices. Celebrity will provide. It's best to go through Special Needs prior to the cruise, but they have plenty on board.

As to power strips, IN GENERAL the kinds with cords are a problem, the kinds with multiple sockets in a cube shape (no cord) seem to be ok and are usually allowed.

Surge protectors should be avoided, for the reasons given above.

My father uses the CPAP and bring his own extension cord. My mother tell the cabin attendant. He bring a cord, water and sets everything up. The reason we bring the extension cord is for pre and post hotel stays. We pack the extension cord in our suitcase, not carry on. Never had it taken. But you will get the cord back at the end of the cruise if it is taken.

https://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Mighty-Protector-8-Outlets-99090/dp/B00006B8K2/ref=sr_1_52?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475451446&sr=1-52&keywords=surge+protector

This is the surge protector that we have, and, we will have it with us for the pre and post cruise hotel stays. I'm contacting Special Needs in the morning to arrange some extension cords for use during the cruise. Does anyone happen to know how many plug in outlets there are on the Infinity? Are there any in the bathroom, for instance? One of the many posts I have read indicated that on one ship you have to dry your hair in the 'living' area as there are no outlets in the bathroom.

Wow, glad i stumbled across this thread, since we've had no problems with the extension cord issue as late as August 2015, on our last Alaskan cruise on the Solstice.

Cheryl

There are two US and one European fixtures at the desk,where you will find the hairdryer in a drawer.

If there is a socket in the bathroom, it is for shavers only. Hair dryers are too much for it.

I can't cut and paste on this tablet very well but I hope one of the other regular posters can point you to the cube type multi-plug that would work for you with no cord. Mine is a Belkin but there are several versions available.

There are two US and one European fixtures at the desk,where you will find the hairdryer in a drawer.

If there is a socket in the bathroom, it is for shavers only. Hair dryers are too much for it.

I can't cut and paste on this tablet very well but I hope one of the other regular posters can point you to the cube type multi-plug that would work for you with no cord. Mine is a Belkin but there are several versions available.

Thank you, I looked at them on Amazon and we also have one of those we travel with. gets hard to juggle 2 iPads with keyboard cases, electric toothbrushes, and chargeable bluetooth speaker. (we love our music and electronics,and there is a CPAP involved as well). :)

thanks again, we will get it sorted out. I've e-mailed Special Needs about getting extension cords for our cabin so i don't have to deal with it in the bustle of check-in, etc

Cheryl Corcoran (and Phil)

Please let me know if anyone hears anything about surge protectors. We each have our own computer tablet, cell phone, etc, so carry a multi outlet surge protector with us to keep electronics charged.

thanks,

Cheryl Corcoran

Suggestion: back them up, and don't fret.

Laptops are quite robust and the chance of a "surge" a) actually occurring, and b) causing damage is quite small. Take an external HD, back up critical stuff, and enjoy your cruise. An alternate strategy which I have adopted is to leave my laptop home, use my iPad instead, back it up to an external occasionally. But again, the chance of damage from a surge is vanishingly small.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Suggestion: back them up, and don't fret.

Laptops are quite robust and the chance of a "surge" a) actually occurring, and b) causing damage is quite small. Take an external HD, back up critical stuff, and enjoy your cruise. An alternate strategy which I have adopted is to leave my laptop home, use my iPad instead, back it up to an external occasionally. But again, the chance of damage from a surge is vanishingly small.

Actually, they both are iPads, with keyboard cases. Not too worried about surges with them on the boat. Got the surge protector as more of a power strip because of all the outlets available on it. Thank you for your help!

Cheryl Corcoran

We just had an extension cord confiscated boarding the Summit. Even though we needed it for medical reasons. Just wanted everyone to know. Don't by your ack an extension cord.

Did you have you extension cords in your carry-on or in your suite case?

Jim

And how about a multi port USB charger with a cord?

BlitzWolf-40W-Smart-5-Port-High-Speed-USB-Charger.jpg

Will X or the port authority see those as extension cords?

Might otherwise resort to dual or triple USB chargers to charge all gear.. :)

I have used one of these on several cruises with no questions asked.

I used to travel with a power strip that had an on/off switch on it. In October 2014, I boarded the Summit in Bayonne to sail to Canada/New England. My suitcase was flagged and I was called to the "naughty room". They opened my suitcase in my presence, took the power strip to an engineer then returned it saying that it was okay since it had a fuse in it. In May of 2015, I boarded the Summit in Bayonne to sail to Bermuda. My suitcase was flagged and I was called to the "naughty room". They opened my suitcase in my presence and confiscated the power strip. I had to pick it up upon our return to Bayonne. Go figure.

Hello,

Can I ask those that had power leads confiscated how they had packed them? Were they rolled-up or what? I pack mine with the socket block at one end of my case with the lead following the edge of the case and the plug at the other end from the sockets. Thus far I have not been caught.

Regards,

Cublet

The one time DH did not bring his own extension cord for his CPAP, Celebrity kindly provided him with a long, thick orange heavy-duty one. Way too cumbersome for the cabin.

Since we travel elsewhere before or after cruising, packing an extension cord is essential for him because outlets can be far from the bed as on the ship. Hopefully Edge class ships will have a bedside outlet!!

He's not had one confiscated thus far on any of our Celebrity cruises that he's brought one. Perhaps because those cruises were non U.S. departures?

Edited by TMLAalum

When boarding the Summit late August the port security (not Celebrity's) questioned the power cord for my wife's CPAP. She showed them that the end was a special plug to fit the machine, not a regular extension cord, and they passed it.

What she failed to mention, of course, was that the bundle of cord she held up to show them also included an extension cord that had been carefully chosen to match the CPAP cord. ;)

As others have said, she always carries an extension cord because many hotel rooms don't have an electrical outlet close to the bed for CPAP use.

I sailed on the Summit in July and also had an extension cord confiscated (you can retrieve it upon returning). While I needed it for my CPAP, I was told to merely ask our Steward for one. It was brought to my cabin by the steward in a matter of minutes. No issue!