Lug the bag or check it?

verrybusy

I usually take my suitcase on the ship with me--just makes things easier. But I am also usually on a 3 or 5 day cruise. So, for my 7 day, should I check the suitcase so I can hit the pool instead of dragging my bag to the buffet with me? I've always carried my bag on and off, but I was wondering what veteran cruisers have to say on the subject. I'll be on the Escape in March.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

... for my 7 day, should I check the suitcase so I can hit the pool instead of dragging my bag to the buffet with me?..

Sounds like for this longer cruise, you might need a larger suitcase, in which case anything you plan to carry on board must fit through the scanner. Will it? Otherwise, check it with the porter, tip him a few bucks, and enjoy your first day on board ship. :)

I have always been amazed that people insist on carrying on all their luggage--for ships or planes--traveling like nomads with all their worldly possessions. The cruise lines (and the airlines) pay people to move my luggage. Why would I want to schlep it around?

I get the part about carrying on valuables and medications. All that fits into a pretty convenient and small bag for us.

:D

I don't know which cruise line the Escape is or the port you're sailing from, but I'm with the others about checking our luggage. We will carry on valuables, meds, sunscreen...but the suitcases will be given to the porter with a small tip. We have always received them by our dining seating, and sometimes even right after muster drill time.

Check your large luggage with porter and hand carry your small bag with your valuables in it.

Wait until you can drop your hand carry in your cabin before hitting the pool.

You do not want to sit it down on a chair while you are in the pool.

As Grandpa always said "do your part to help keep honest people honest".

bob

I have always been amazed that people insist on carrying on all their luggage--for ships or planes--traveling like nomads with all their worldly possessions. The cruise lines (and the airlines) pay people to move my luggage. Why would I want to schlep it around?

I get the part about carrying on valuables and medications. All that fits into a pretty convenient and small bag for us.

:D

Ditto to this :D

I usually take my suitcase on the ship with me--just makes things easier. But I am also usually on a 3 or 5 day cruise. So, for my 7 day, should I check the suitcase so I can hit the pool instead of dragging my bag to the buffet with me? I've always carried my bag on and off, but I was wondering what veteran cruisers have to say on the subject. I'll be on the Escape in March.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

Your fare includes baggage handling on the ship. Why would you want to lug anything around other than the smallest carry-on for valuables/meds/etc.

Like most here, we have a small carry on for meds, jewelry and anything else that would be devastating to lose. But we check everything else. Its not like they charge extra to do the schlepping for you. We check bags boarding at the beginning and leave in the hallway the last night as well.

DH and I each carry a rolling tote (carry on size) and I carry a tote bag while DH carries a suit bag. Whether we are cruising for one week or two, this works great for us. We carry everything on and off the ship with ease.

We get free unlimited laundry now, but even if we didn't, the cost is only $49 for unlimited (on HAL) for a week or all you can pack in a cloth bag one time for $20. Why load yourself down with multiple outfits (that no one notices anyway) when you can send clothes out to be laundered? (Plus, if you do the unlimited, you can have them washed and pressed and go home without a suitcase full of dirty clothes!!!)

With my rolling tote and hand-carried tote, I'm able to bring clothes for ship lounging, port walking, smart casual dinner and Gala dinners. I wear my tennis shoes onto the ship and pack two pairs of nice shoes for dinners and two pairs of flip flops for on the ship. I have room for a FULL make-up bag (yes, I still fight the good fight!), hairbrush, ceramic round brush and a curling iron. Throw in a couple of necklaces and bracelets and I'm good to go. Oh! I also bring a Kindle AND, unfortunately, have to pack a dozen or so bottles of diet Dr. Pepper since they don't have it on the ship. Since I don't have those to take back home with me, there is room for a few port purchases to put in on the way back!

If you sign up for unlimited laundry and pressing on the first day, you can send out everything for pressing once you unpack!!!

Why lug a wardrobe that you don't need?

(Just read through this before posting and figured I better clear this up: All necessary undergarments are brought along, too!!!)

Edited by ithaca gal
Forgot to add something

My husband and I each take a backpack or tote bag filled with:

• CASH!
  • Electronics
  • Medications (including OTC)
  • Swimsuit
  • Change of Clothing
  • Wine & Softdrinks (if we aren't planning on purchasing a drink package)

Everything else is checked. I bring no valuable jewelry so that isn't a concern. If we were stuck with only these items we'd do just fine washing outfits in the sink to dry overnight but this has never happened.

My husband and I each take a backpack or tote bag filled with: ...

And of course your passports and credit cards and any ship paperwork.

We always check our bags when boarding. I usually add a 2nd tag with my name and cabin number, in case the ship's tag comes off. Masking tape folded over works fine.

The bags should make the ship. It's not like an airport -- all bags go onto the ship. If your bag is missing, it still should be on the ship somewhere.

Just make sure it gets loaded onto the porter's cart when you get off the bus/car/taxi -- whatever you drive to the cruise ship.

Sometimes the bag is in the "naughty room" -- meaning it contains items you should not have, such as booze.

Tip: Cross pack. That way if a bag should be missing, you both still have something to wear, until the bag is found (usually it is found by the day 2 of the cruise).

Also that way if you fly and one the bags is missing at the airport, you still have something to wear.

Edited by Jimnbigd