Do NOT become to complacent as we did :O(

Shippy

We have sail almost 50 cruises on almost every cruiseline. We have heard of many different types of bad incidents but it always the other guy.

We have gotten very sloppy with our own security. Every cruiseline, as with hotels , tell you to lock up your things and provide you with safes.

We are guilty of things like leaving our phones on the counter charging when we leave the cabin. Also things in the nightstand.

WELL THEY GOT US THIS CRUISE AND IT WAS NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE....

The 3rd day out, we returned to our cabin in the late afternoon to find my Ipad and my husbands dress watch missing. They were in the nightstands.

Our fault for not locking them up...

here is a real kicker.... I immediately called security and demanded to see the security video of our hallway.....THERE ARE NO CAMERAS IN THE HALLWAYS, ONLY PUBLIC AREAS.

I was really shocked, I thought there were cameras everywhere. They immediately shearched our room and our poor cabin stewardess who was hesterical.

Chalk it off to a learning experience..

This happened last week on the Grand

Edited by Shippy
unfinished

Was this on a Princess ship?

What did the cruise line say?

What did they take?

as indicated in the original post

...we returned to our cabin in the late afternoon to find my Ipad and my husbands dress watch missing.

This happened last week on the Grand

We have walked by many "open" cabins with the steward no where in sight and have thought how easily it would be for someone to dart in, take something left in plain sight and dart out again. I have also walked into my own cabin and found ship staff (without my steward being present or given prior notice) "fixing" something we didn't know was broken. On our last cruise I found myself also becoming a little more lax in securing items so thank you for the reminder!

So sorry. Yes it is easy to become complacent when one has travelled often without incident.

I just had a wake up call last year in mexico when I had my gold rope chain and pendant snatched off my neck and stood stunned as the thief ran off down the alley with them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Sorry that this happened to you. We have gotten very sloppy - half the time we don't even lock the safe. Seems we are always running behind for dinner or something and just take off.

We had a friend who had his watch taken from his cabin on the Coral many years ago. Security told him they would search the log to see who's cards were used to enter the cabin that afternoon. The next day his watch was returned.

An officer on the Golden showed us where the cameras are in the hallways but said no one looks at them unless something happens and then they are reviewed.

Did you just make the call to security? Did you also go down to the customer service desk and ask to speak to the supervisor?

Sorry that this happened to you. We have gotten very sloppy - half the time we don't even lock the safe. Seems we are always running behind for dinner or something and just take off.

We had a friend who had his watch taken from his cabin on the Coral many years ago. Security told him they would search the log to see who's cards were used to enter the cabin that afternoon. The next day his watch was returned.

An officer on the Golden showed us where the cameras are in the hallways but said no one looks at them unless something happens and then they are reviewed.

Did you just make the call to security? Did you also go down to the customer service desk and ask to speak to the supervisor?

There are only cameras near the elevator banks, none in pax cabin passageways unless there is a relevent monitored space/door nearby.

Yes I agree security should take the loss report.

OP - so sorry this happened to you. It's so easy to become complacent. We're on vacation, having a good time then - BAM. I am so anal about locking everything up - even my phone/computer, etc., every time I leave the room. I charge the electronics in the morning when I arise then at night before bed. Just two days ago, I was at Disneyland and stayed at a pretty nice hotel. Got back to my room in the evening only to find my door not closed all the way. Housekeeping didn't "tug" on the door to ensure it was locked when they were finished. I went down to the front desk, had security come up with me and we "searched" the room to ensure no one was hiding there and that my clothes, etc. (all valuable were locked up) were still there. Then I read them the riot act and they gave me a nice "we're sorry" gift. You just never know.

So sorry. Yes it is easy to become complacent when one has travelled often without incident.

I just had a wake up call last year in mexico when I had my gold rope chain and pendant snatched off my neck and stood stunned as the thief ran off down the alley with them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Wow! That must have been frightening!!! Were you hurt?

We were on the Grand a few weeks ago, nothing happened to us, but we are lax as well. The only problem is there is not a safe big enough to lock everything up in, but I agree it was most likely a hit and run when the door was left open.

We will have to figure out a way to secure stuff so that its not easy to grab and go...

Worst case, lock it in a suitcase. If nothing else the theft will be ovious.

We were on the Grand a few weeks ago, nothing happened to us, but we are lax as well. The only problem is there is not a safe big enough to lock everything up in, but I agree it was most likely a hit and run when the door was left open.

We will have to figure out a way to secure stuff so that its not easy to grab and go...

Sorry this happened to you but thanks for the reminder.

We tend to lock up our phones and cash but the laptop stays on the desk from the time we arrive to the time we depart. Might need to rethink that.. Or at least stuff it in a drawer or something since it won't fit in the safe.

One suggestion is to place items in your suitcase, lock it, and place it under the bed. At least it's out of sight and more difficult to get to. It's not a guarantee at all, but thieves usually want items that are easy to "grab and go". Yes, they can cut the lock, but each step you take to make it more difficult helps. I agree - the safes are small. So sorry this happened to the OP. Unfortunately, it's the world we live in today. We shouldn't have to worry about such things. Thanks for the reminder. I must admit I've become complacent. Shame on me!

That's a bummer...thanks for the reminder. We have become complacent too and often leave our cameras/iPad on the desk charging. Have also returned to an open cabin while the steward went to get something.... Thanks for the post..we sail again in a couple weeks.

I've often thought when walking to my room and seeing all the doors propped open how easy it would be to sneak into someone's room. I feel this is really a big procedural oversight by the cruise lines. Imagine if something worse than theft happened as a result of this cleaning procedure. I would think that if the open door is out of sight, it should be closed. I would wager a bet that's how corporate says it should be done.