To the stranger currently onboard Quantum....

I'm not sure who you are. Actually, I don't even know if you read Cruise Critic. What I do know is that I feel the need to acknowledge what an amazing person you are.

I first met you in line at the Next Cruise desk. We were both standing in the "no-appointment" line to book our next cruise. My two daughters were with me. You noticed my four year old had seashells and asked to see them. She was shy at first, but eventually she opened up and you looked through all her shells, even the broken little bits. You managed to entertain her until it was time for us to talk to someone.

Now, this was a miracle in itself, being this is a longer cruise there's not too many kids on board. And most don't acknowledge my daughter at all. So thank you for noticing her.

But then, last night in the theater she was tired, cranky, and upset but sitting in the same row as you. You noticed her and got up from your seat to come down and talk to her - and ask her if she found any more shells. She smiled and chatted with you about the shells she found in St. Maarten. It made her smile and settle down and that was the turning point for her that night - she wasn't freaking out anymore and watched the show.

But, what you don't know - is at that particular moment I was at wits end. My kids were all misbehaving in some way, I had cried and cried not too long ago realizing that it had been stupid of me to attempt this trip without my husband. I found out my son charged $50 on my seapass without permission (oh and lied about it). I had just wanted to disembark and go home. I had just been at guest services trying to figure out how to do this. Her freaking out in the theater was just the icing on the cake. Of course I wasn't upset at her - she's a toddler who spend the whole day in the sun. I was tired too. It was just an overwhelming day.

But the way you were so kind and patient with her, and she responded to you. She was attempting to make plans to meet you on the ship to show you the new shells - and you were interested in what she had to say. It gave me a new hope, and was the turning point of my really crappy day.

I have tears in my eyes as I write this. I don't know if you'll ever read this - but I want to say Thank-You. You probably don't even realize that you had one anything extraordinary, but your seemingly small acts of kindness touched really touched me and my family. Thank you, random lady on board Quantum for being such an amazing person.

WOW. I hope the rest of your cruise is good for you and your family. It could be worse tho. Friends of our took their kids on an NCL ship three weeks ago and gave them a 25.00/day limit at arcade. after 4 days they cheecked their status and it was 845.00. That boy was in big TROUBLE :)

I'm glad there are some good people there who are helping you out. Sometimes people just know and connect. If you see her again, feel free to tell her to her face. She might have a similar story of frustration and doubt about herself to share and might be happy to have helped you in such a small, but significant way!

I'm not sure who you are. Actually, I don't even know if you read Cruise Critic. What I do know is that I feel the need to acknowledge what an amazing person you are.

I have tears in my eyes as I write this. I don't know if you'll ever read this - but I want to say Thank-You. You probably don't even realize that you had one anything extraordinary, but your seemingly small acts of kindness touched really touched me and my family. Thank you, random lady on board Quantum for being such an amazing person.

What an awesome post! I was just thinking that the RC board is depressing to read this morning, then I read this. Thanks, and I hope you have a great time the rest of the way!

AWWWWW! That renews my faith in the kindness of mankind. We have all been there as parents! As we age we forget children are all just children. They all get tired, push boundaries & make us want to pull our hair out at times. All of us need to remember those days & try to be helpful with kindness instead of shaming judgement. JMHO;) Try to cut yourself some slack & enjoy the rest of your cruise! Make precious memories. For it will all be a memory sooner than you think.

Wow, I'm being selfish but I really needed to read this today. My husband has been traveling for work for 8 weeks now, home for very little time within that time frame, but we haven't seen him in person (we face time every night) for 2 weeks now, he won't be home for at least another week, and the traveling is new to us. Plus my Dad had a stroke last week while we were there for Spring Break, and I never really allowed myself to cry about it because I wanted to be strong for my Mom and in front of my kids (fortunately it was a mild stroke and only some memory seems to be affected, so we are sooooo lucky, he has all of his speech, vision, and movement back). I think I just hit my breaking point this morning with my 3 kids, ages 10, 10, and 12. I just totally blew up at them and then went into my room and had a crying fit.

Then I come on here and see this. Nice to know that I'm not the only one who lets this stuff get to them (so I'm not completely crazy and a horrible mom), and even nicer to know that there are such pleasant people out there. Thanks for taking the time to post. I know your post was for the person who was so sweet to your daughter, but it really meant a lot to other people as well.

I thought I remembered there was a way Guest Relations could set up a child's seapass without charging purposes, it might be worth checking out. While the kindness of strangers is awesome and a wonderful story, would help as well.

Roy

What a wonderful story.:) I am so happy you were able to enjoy the rest of the cruise and cope with being on your own with the children. Not easy!!! So, for someone that took time out to connect with your daughter, it was very heartwarming!!

Sometimes the little ones need a little helping hand to cope with the new environment and the jet lag and all the strange new surroundings. I often see them looking over whelmed, until they adjust.

So, maybe we should all take a moment in the elevator, WJ etc. to say hello to the little ones too?

We do that ourselves and sometimes they have the cutest stories to tell you and are excited to be noticed.:)

What a wonderful story.:) I am so happy you were able to enjoy the rest of the cruise and cope with being on your own with the children. Not easy!!! So, for someone that took time out to connect with your daughter, it was very heartwarming!!

Sometimes the little ones need a little helping hand to cope with the new environment and the jet lag and all the strange new surroundings. I often see them looking over whelmed, until they adjust.

So, maybe we should all take a moment in the elevator, WJ etc. to say hello to the little ones too?

We do that ourselves and sometimes they have the cutest stories to tell you and are excited to be noticed.:)

I stop and say hello to all the little ones I bump into, with their cute faces or silly dispositions.....but I also remember that if they do not say 'hello' not to get upset. I usually remark to the parent nearby, "its OK that they are not answering me, they probably are following your instructions 'not to talk to strangers'". With all the weird people in the world, I try to be helpful and nice to children -- yet also know, that although I have no intention of harming a child -- there are too many others that may not have that intention.

Sorry to hear this trip has been so stressful for you. What a beautiful story...and so kind of you to express your gratitude. It shows how someone's simple act of kindness can mean so much. Hope the remaining of your trip gets better.

WOW. I hope the rest of your cruise is good for you and your family. It could be worse tho. Friends of our took their kids on an NCL ship three weeks ago and gave them a 25.00/day limit at arcade. after 4 days they cheecked their status and it was 845.00. That boy was in big TROUBLE :)

I can't even imagine what I would do if this happened to me. :eek:

One of the main reasons I do not give my kids charging privileges. Especially for arcades.