Large groups onboard

Kopy

We just arrived home from the Ruby Princess cruise from Jan 17-24. We were really disappointed in the fact that there was a large group on board, that had over 800 passengers. We go on cruises for dance opportunities, and we choose princess because they have the best in our opinion. However, on this cruise, we were not allowed to use Club Fusion, because it was exclusively given to this group every night from 8:00 P.M. to late.This also affected the other dance venues, because the Explorers Lounge had to be used for other entertainment, and therefore dancing was also cut back there. We have had this problem in the past. and try to find out when these groups will be on board, so we can avoid this situation. We realize that we dancers are in the minority on these ships, but do not feel that we should be deprived the right to use the lounges that we have paid to use. Does anyone know how we can find out in the future if any large groups will be on board?We wrote to Princess and suggested that they would let passengers know that Club Fusion or other lounges would not be available during certain cruises. We do not want to deprive large groups from sailing but would like to be able to avoid them if we choose to.

Cruise lines will not tell you if there are large groups on a sailing. The only things I have seen or heard of are to join the Roll Call and to google your cruise ship and date. The Roll Call would have mention of groups IF someone became aware of them. The google MAY pull up adds for a group.

Princess should do a better job of alerting booked passengers when this happens. On our last trip, there was a group and their favorite spot was the Aft pool. Completely took it over the entire trip. Every chair taken (chogged) by early morning and they had the whole area really. Luckily I enjoy the pool and hot tub one level up because I would have been ticked otherwise. Of course, we all know the reason for the non reveal, potential lost revenue.

Princess should do a better job of alerting booked passengers when this happens. On our last trip, there was a group and their favorite spot was the Aft pool. Completely took it over the entire trip. Every chair taken (chogged) by early morning and they had the whole area really. Luckily I enjoy the pool and hot tub one level up because I would have been ticked otherwise. Of course, we all know the reason for the non reveal, potential lost revenue.

So true....would you book a cruise knowing there were going to be 800 Bears on board or even 800 of any type of group? Doubtful.

It's still not right to an unsuspecting passenger that they keep it a secret.

So true....would you book a cruise knowing there were going to be 800 Bears on board or even 800 of any type of group? Doubtful.

It's still not right to an unsuspecting passenger that they keep it a secret.

I've heard the cruise lines claim that disclosing the presence of a group would violate their privacy.

You can try this link for some information on groups.

http://themecruisefinder.com/CruiseAds/

While in the McDonald's in Dania beach the morning of the 17th I witnessed a few folks wearing shirts with several oldies bands with the theme "where the action is" and ruby princess. Since I was on the CB that day I breathed a sigh of relief but I feel for the OP. We had groups on both of the legs of our b2b but they were not at all obtrusive except for the one day when they had a private event in club fusion right before the final snowball bingo. It was a huge bottleneck of people waiting to get in while they cleared out the room and cleaned up.

We just arrived home from the Ruby Princess cruise from Jan 17-24. We were really disappointed in the fact that there was a large group on board, that had over 800 passengers. We go on cruises for dance opportunities, and we choose princess because they have the best in our opinion. However, on this cruise, we were not allowed to use Club Fusion, because it was exclusively given to this group every night from 8:00 P.M. to late.This also affected the other dance venues, because the Explorers Lounge had to be used for other entertainment, and therefore dancing was also cut back there. We have had this problem in the past. and try to find out when these groups will be on board, so we can avoid this situation. We realize that we dancers are in the minority on these ships, but do not feel that we should be deprived the right to use the lounges that we have paid to use. Does anyone know how we can find out in the future if any large groups will be on board?We wrote to Princess and suggested that they would let passengers know that Club Fusion or other lounges would not be available during certain cruises. We do not want to deprive large groups from sailing but would like to be able to avoid them if we choose to.

What group was it?

I've been told by the popular cruise lines that they can't reveal whether large groups are booked. At various times it's been privacy laws, possible racial discrimination, unable to access the info, etc.

I believe the assumption that it is revenue driven is correct. If we had known that a huge group of bikers were going to be on our HAL cruise, we probably wouldn't have booked it.

The funny thing is that it would have been our loss. Because we're not dancers, and usually don't hit the bars after dinner, our enjoyment of the cruise wasn't affected.

On the good side, they were fun, entertaining, raised money for kidney dialysis, and treated dialysis patients to the cruise.

I think potential cruisers should be warned of any large groups on the sailing and let them decide. Blindsiding them, and giving them half of the cruise they paid for should carry penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

“The show must go on.” That’s what late musician Paul Revere said to all the members of his band of merry musicians, his Raiders, in the final months of 2014 when doctors ordered him to stop all the demands of road trips. Although Paul wanted greatly to be there with him, for four months, he followed doctor’s orders and checked in by phone with all of his band members for as long as he could. In 2015 Paul decided to change the name of the group to Paul Revere’s Raiders, wanting the music to go on. And they have.

The musicians who continue the musical legacy of a 50+-year career of pop rock hits year after year are: Darren Dowler (lead vocals), Ron Foos (bass), Doug Heath (guitar), Danny Krause (keys), Jamie Revere (guitar), and Tommy Scheckel (drums).

The “Where the Action Is” Cruise is a Caribbean cruise, from Jan. 17-24, 2015, aboard the Ruby Princess sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Princess Cays, St. Marteen, St. Thomas, and Nassau. While at sea, the fans of many of the best bands of the 1960s will entertain including Paul Revere’s Raiders, The Buckinghams, The Guess Who, and The Lettermen. This annual event is one to which fans look forward. Many of them save this week each year for just this cruise, and are returning cruisers each year.

While in the McDonald's in Dania beach the morning of the 17th I witnessed a few folks wearing shirts with several oldies bands with the theme "where the action is" and ruby princess. Since I was on the CB that day I breathed a sigh of relief but I feel for the OP. We had groups on both of the legs of our b2b but they were not at all obtrusive except for the one day when they had a private event in club fusion right before the final snowball bingo. It was a huge bottleneck of people waiting to get in while they cleared out the room and cleaned up.

I also feel for the OP. DW and I were on the Royal Jan 18-28 and unbeknown to us there was a "Seniors Tour" on board. Apparently what was meant by "seniors" was “mobility impaired” as there were motorized scooters and wheel chairs everywhere, by far the most I have seen on any cruise. While I can understand the needs of these folks and their desire to cruise, the scooters and chairs made it very difficult to get around. The elevators and hallways were always a challenge and the entrance to the MDR was like navigating a maze. People had to get up from their loungers and move them on the pool decks to allow scooters to go by. Like the OP I wish Princess would advise customers when such large groups will be on board. They have every right to cruise of course, but others should be allowed to decide for themselves whether to join such a group or not.

I've heard the cruise lines claim that disclosing the presence of a group would violate their privacy.

Thanks for the link. I'll add it to my must check before booking sites...and this one seems to have them all in one location. :D

Wow. it is a great site. Just plug in "princess" and you can see all the groups at a glance. No more searching around a bunch of different sites & maybe missing one.

Thanks again.

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

I was just on the Crown Princess last weekend and there were two groups. One was Angels Fan Fest (not listed on the themecruisefinder website) and a breast cancer survivor's group. Neither bothered me. Other than seeing a lot of people in either red or pink t-shirts, the cruise was like any other.

I was just on the Crown Princess last weekend and there were two groups. One was Angels Fan Fest (not listed on the themecruisefinder website) and a breast cancer survivor's group. Neither bothered me. Other than seeing a lot of people in either red or pink t-shirts, the cruise was like any other.

I don't know anything about the Angels Fan Fest group but I would expect the Breast Cancer Survivor's group to be a very good one to cruise with.

On the way to my cruise on the Royal I noticed a large group of country music fans going on a HA ship. Since my wife and I don't like C&W we were glad to not be on that ship but only to encounter the mobility difficulties with the large number of motorized scooters on the Royal.

Thanks for the link. To test it I checked "Princess" and found out that a large group called "Happy Gay Travel" has chartered the whole Regal for the 2/8/15 sailing. I realize that they are a large group and can thus charter the whole ship but that is a great way for large groups to do theme cruises. All passengers are then aware of the theme and can join or not as they deem appropriate without impact to others.

If I was on a cruise while the Angels Fan Fest was going on I'd be wearing my Oakland A's gear all the time. And yes, I bleed green and gold... ;)

A bit more tied to this thread, I'm glad we mostly cruise on the "little girls" (well, until Princess sells them off) because it's much less likely a large group could or would book them.

We just arrived home from the Ruby Princess cruise from Jan 17-24. We were really disappointed in the fact that there was a large group on board, that had over 800 passengers. .

Because on CC rules, the exact name of the group with contact information can't be mentioned.

I think it's all right to say this same group will be on Emerald Princess January 23 - 30, 2016. ;)

LuLu

Because on CC rules, the exact name of the group with contact information can't be mentioned.

I think it's all right to say this same group will be on Emerald Princess January 23 - 30, 2016. ;)

LuLu

Since the Angels Fan Fest and Breast Cancer groups were mentioned what is wrong with the Rock and Roll cruise group?:confused:

Mike:)

I tried checking out that website just for kicks. I guess you can type in a month in the search box and get some cruises, but you would have to click on each one to see if it's on your specific sailing. And you can do that on each theme, I guess. It doesn't seem very well suited for checking to see about your cruise, more for those who might be interested in finding a theme cruise for themself.

I would definitely use google and put in your intended ship and sailing date and also see if people on the roll call on CC have posted any info they know about. Sometimes people who have booked a cruise as part of a group will post.

There will be groups on every cruise (at least mass market -- don't know about smaller ships). It's just whether a group is obnoxious (I had the misfortune to be on a cruise devoted to a World Tourney of Bingo -- over a third of the passengers had booked this. Only one lounge was taken up for the actual bingo matches...it was more that the typical person from this group was a bit strange, lots of addictive types, etc.) or if they are taking over popular venues. I would think the OP has a valid reason to be ticked off to lose the dance club.

Sometimes I would only know about a specific group if I saw a sign. A couple of cruises ago when walking around, we spotted a sign outside a MDR about a private function going on. No worries as that MDR wasn't used for meals until dinner so other passengers weren't deprived.

I got the search function to work, just put 'Princess' in the advanced search box and got a list of cruises. Not sure how accurate it is though, as there is a church group supposedly sailing on the Royal Princess from Houston 2/8/15, and we all know the Royal is NOT sailing from Houston this season.

We had a Greek group on board last week. We got to the MDR at 5:45 on the last night and were told there was nothing available until 7:30 because of the Greek group. (that was the name on the sign)

As it was going to be our only dinner in the MDR for the cruise, we were put off a bit, but she gave us a pager and told us to hang out - within 10 minutes they found us a table in the TD room.

I do recall seeing a private function sign somewhere during the week, but really can't recall where that was. Seems like it was the theater. Does that make sense?