Watered down Booze

cchoffat

Just took an RCL cruise on Serenade. Boston Departure up the coast. Bought the drink package. Felt the mixed drinks had little alcohol in them. Watched them pour, even unseal new bottles, but the drinks didn't kick. Two Martini's usually make my wife a bit tippy. Nope. I had enough a few nights to put me out but nope. Just very weak drinks. Very disappointed that we didn't get our money's worth.

If I was drinking beer, things would be better alcohol wise, and the wines were fine.

I am not a big drinker but I have not had any issues with alcohol levels. In fact, my issue is with over-pouring which some people think is great but I would prefer a drink with a mixer to be made with proper proportions.

I will concede that drinks served as complementary (eg. Captain's party) sometimes taste watered down. That may be because they make the drinks so far ahead of time that the ice melts.

I am not a big drinker but I have not had any issues with alcohol levels. In fact, my issue is with over-pouring which some people think is great but I would prefer a drink with a mixer to be made with proper proportions. ... .

Same here, never a problem with weak drinks.

Since they were so weak and you had to drink so many, I'd say you should be thankful for the package you bought. If you truly drank more than enough to make the package worthwhile, imagine what you would have spent if you paid by the drink for watered down drinks.

I never had a weak drink on a RC cruise, but if you ever wanted more alcohol, simply ask for a shot and add it in.

This. You have a package - no limits. If you want a stronger drink, just ask for extra booze. For me, they are quite strong enough although my alcohol tolerance is not quite what it used to be.

I have not experienced watered down drinks. I find the bar service to be quite exceptional and often entertaining. As others have noted if you are unhappy with something on a cruise you really just have to mention it (politely of course). The staff really do want you to have a good trip. It makes their lives better too. Happy passengers tend to be easier to deal with and they tip better.

+1 for the pour being heavy. Even if you order something straight up it's a heavy pour.

BTW - I seriously doubt they have the time to open a bottle, water it down and reseal it. That may play at the corner dive, but, there's no time for that on board.

We are currently enjoying a cruise on the Navigator of the Seas and early on I commented to my partner that the drinks weren’t that strong. I usually comment the same on Princess and put it down to the drinks we make ourselves being super strong so the cruise line drinks taste weak by comparison and do not give the same buzz as one drink at home. The ratio of drink to mixer does seem to favour the mixer so I have started to specifically ask for less mixer. Have also avoided fruity cocktails for the same reason.

I am a big drinker and am normally happy with drinks poured on RCCL a extra tip normally improves the pour and also get the drink package so if my scotch and soda does not have enough scotch 5 mins later will order a shot to add to drink

There would be no advantage to the bar staff to water the booze. Happens regularly with cash bars. Increase the number of shots per bottle and pocket the money. Your issue is likely pouring weak drinks as per some company policy.

I found the drinks were okay in some bars and very weak in others. I rarely drink anything other than beer or whisky. I ordered a whisky and coke and it was too weak for my taste. I tipped the bartender well and asked for a stronger drink. She almost did me in with that one, so round three was the perfect mix. Our issue boiled down to a language barrier. I had no issues at any of the bars getting a little extra sauce when I wanted it.

On my last cruise, I noticed that I was drinking more before I started to "feel it". I could certainly taste the alcohol in the drinks, so I don't think they were particularly weak. On that cruise I was also wearing one of the motion sickness patches. That led me to wonder if the patches minimize the effect of alcohol. Has anyone else experienced it, or am I just crazy?!

They are stingy with extra shots on the package... Drink top shelf Vodka, so that should be something... On the "AA" comment, if you think anyone who drinks needs AA, then perhaps you shouldn't read a post about watered down booze... The comment about never being on an empty stomach on a cruise, true that! :)

Last year on the Oasis, I noticed the drinks being weak. I don't drink very often, maybe once a year at that. We sprung for the Deluxe for each of use and for the first 3 days I tried all sorts of drinks. I figured why not I am not driving anywhere. Never once did I even get a buzz. The only time I did feel something is when we went to the champagne bar. After 2 glasses of that boy did I feel it. And that was after drinking all day. My husband said the same thing. Mixed drinks never felt any different. Only until he was drinking beer did he feel any effects.

I think they are doing something. So I would agree based on my experience.

• Like 1