anyone else switching cruise lines???

George C

Started looking at other lines after wine policy change. Got great desl on RCCL Navigator of the seas, mini-suite ( same size as SS on Hal) for under 1300 for the week, since there is a over 55 discount and I also get a diamond level discount. Wine policy was main reason last 4 cruises were Hal, also save a bundle on air fare since cruise leves from Gavelston.

We'll see. I have 4 HAL cruises booked. Two past final payment, two not. I'll look at other cruise lines now - if the post January 31, 2014 wine policy stays the same. And the wine list doesn't improve.

Will probably do more DIY land based travel in Europe. Was thinking of a cruise next May, but might do a repeat of the 8 day raft trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon that I did last year.

Not yet. We have one HAL cruise booked, and I really want to do the 14-day Alaska cruise in 2014 (if I can figure out how to pay for it ;) )

I remain hopeful HAL will tweak the wine policy a bit more before its implementation date, and figure out some way of allowing us to continue to bring wine onboard, even if that means some sort of fee for each bottle over the "1 per person" limit.

If they mess with the room service menu for the "cheap seats", and DON'T improve the upcoming wine policy, then we'll be looking around. Though I will miss the Promenade Decks ..... sigh.....

We have 2 HAL cruises coming up and will keep them. We are hopeful too that HAL will tweak their policy to allow us to bring bottles onboard in the ports even if it means a corkage fee. So we're just watching what happens, and voicing our opinion to HAL about it. :)

We book with Celebrity too, and will continue doing that. IF HAL doesn't make some allowances in their policy to fall more in line with what Princess allows, we'll look more seriously at other lines for future cruises. It's the itinerary and price that we look at more than anything. We love HAL but are learning that other lines can be good too. :)

Right now we have an FCC on HAL we need to book before November, but nothing firm yet. Was planning on a 20+ day transatlantic with Med combo, but if they are not more reasonable with the policy change then that may be out. Currently have a Celebrity cruise scheduled for this Oct, and planning an NCL cruise for Bermuda/Caribbean some time next year.

While we do not bring a case of wine on board with us, we do like to have a few bottles for in suite consumption, and also like to get a bottle or two while in port. Our future cruises with HAL might well be decided by what they do about making a more reasonable policy change. Hopefully they can do that before November so our FCC is not in jeopardy.

I have enjoyed every cruise I have taken on a number of different lines. I want to try other lines. My last four cruises have been on HAL. Somehow Holland America always has the itinerary I want at a price I can afford.

I have 4 cruises booked and will be looking at other cruise lines from now on, not because of the wine as I don't drink ( take to many meds ) but HA has been going down hill ever since it was sold to CC. I am a 3time world cruiser and a 5 star mariner, sorry to leave but I think it is now time to look elseware

Yes. I am in the unfortunate position of having cancelled an RCI cruise, and then replacing it with a HAL cruise, to Alaska, just before this fiasco. I am now paying more for much less. Yeah, my fault. But I am now looking at another RCI cruise and a friend has just tempted my to try Oceana.

We are going the other way and cancelling a Silverseas cruise for next year. We replaced that with a HAL cruise that we booked yesterday as the wine policy has no bearing in our decision, it's the itinerary.

We have sailed on at least 6 different lines and we find that HAL provides the best value, the best size cabins and the best itineraries.

And I find the whining about the wine policy completely exagerated and irrational.

Sorry folks.

We have sailed on at least 6 different lines and we find that HAL provides the best value, the best size cabins and the best itineraries.

And I find the whining about the wine policy completely exagerated and irrational.

Sorry folks.

More or less the same with us. More lines have restrictions on bringing wine, so we we could expect it. We also prefer the size of the HAL ships, rather then some mega ships.

After our next 2 cruises on HAL in August And September, we will be doing all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and Caribbean for the next two years. Thanks, HAL.

We are fans of the AI resorts also doing Sandals Thanksgiving week

I have 4 cruises booked and will be looking at other cruise lines from now on, not because of the wine as I don't drink ( take to many meds ) but HA has been going down hill ever since it was sold to CC. I am a 3time world cruiser and a 5 star mariner, sorry to leave but I think it is now time to look elseware

Wasn't it sold to CCL over 30 years ago? I think it would have gone out of business totally had it not come under their umbrella.

Right now we have an FCC on HAL we need to book before November' date=' ....[/quote']

If you purchased that when HAL had a "Use it within 4 years, or lose it" policy, you may not know that FCDs are refundable now.

When that policy first changed it was not applicable to the FCDs previously purchased, but that was quickly changed. All Future Cruise Deposits, regardless of when purchased, will be refunded if not used within four years.

No switching here either, the wine policy is NO reason for us to switch. We're no wine drinkers anyway.

We like HAL for their itineraries and friendly staff and the little Dutch touches during the cruise.

Kind regards,

Gina

HAL meets all of our cruising needs: itineraries, price, service and value. We can't find better competition in this category.

That's where we are:) Plus I apparently have an affinity for dark blue hulls ;)

We will continue to cruise HA for its ships (smaller ones), promenade deck, value, and itineraries. We never brought wine on board since we considered our alcohol bill to be part of our vacation cost, so the policy does not affect us. We would like to try other lines in the future (Oceania, Windstar, Seabourn and Paul Gauguin come to mind) to see what they offer and try something new. However, we will only sail on smaller ships and the itineraries must be interesting as well. I do think that with this change in policy that HA should expand its wine list and offer some better deals than it does right now. There must be a price point for margin on wine that increases their revenue through increased wine sales. They should think about a strategy where they offer special wines of the day which make people feel like they're not being totally gouged on wine. We do buy wine packages when we're on board but we would probably buy more wine if it seemed like a better deal. We definitely take advantage of the happy hour prices on drinks.

Archived