QM2 not what it is made out to be

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:18 AM.
Arizona
1,779 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Just off the QM2. We have done dozens of cruises, but this was our first time, and LAST time on Cunard. The food was of low quality. Steaks in the dining room were mostly grizzle. Choice of food was extremely limited. Entertainment was fairly good. Tour desk was lacking. It was a very sick ship. Not a top ship my any means,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nov. 2018 Symphony of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean

Aug. 2018 Serenade of the Seas-Iceland and TA.
May 2018 Radiance of the Seas-Hawaii to Vancouver
Jan. 2018 African Safari and Cunard cruise
Sept. 2017 Anthem OTS Canada
Jun. 2017 Majestic Princess Dubai to Singapore.
Feb. 2017 Island Princess Panama Canal transit
Oct. 2016 RCCL Harmony of the Seas-TA
July. 2016 NCL Getaway Olympic Charter
May 2016 RCCL Ovation of the Seas-BCN to Dubai
Apr. 2016 Golden Princess SYD to HKG
Nov. 2015 NCL Getaway Caribbean
Oct. 2015 Celebrity Silhouette Med and Holy land
July 2015 Diamond Princess Japan
May, 2015 Quantum of the Seas TA
Jan. 2015 Emerald Princess West Caribbean
Oct 2014 Oasis of the Seas Transatlantic
Jun. 2014 Celebrity Sillouette Med.
Feb. 2014 Diamond Princess SYD to SIN.
Jul. 2013 Caribbean Princess British Isles
Apr. 2013 Carnival Legend Transatlantic
Oct., 2012 Pacific Princess ATH to FCO
Aug, 2012 Rotterdam Rotterdam RT(Norway).
Apr. 2012 Sea Princess SYD to SFO Transpacific
Feb. 2012 Allure of the Seas Caribbean
Oct. 2011 Celebrity Eclipse Transatlantic
Jul. 2011 Mariner of the Seas Med and Holy Land
Feb. 2011 Diamond Princess SYD to Beijing
Dec.2010 Celebrity Eclipse Carribean
Dec. 2010 Diamond Princess SIN to SYD
May.2010 Celebrity Century Transatlantic
Apr. 2010 Diamond Princess Beijing to ANC.Transpacific
Mar. 2010 Sapphire Princess Mexico
Nov 2009 Grand Princess 3 continent
Sept 2009 Golden Princess Coastal
Sept 2009 NCL Star 1 night
May 2009 Sapphire Princess Alaska
Mar 2009 Star Princess So. America
Dec 2008 Rotterdam Panama Canal
Nov 2008 Sapphire Princess Mexico
June 2008 Crown Princess Baltic and Russia
Jan 2008 Dawn Princess Mexico
July 2007 Carnival Spirit Alaska
Feb. 2007 Sapphire Princess Austraila NZ
Aug 2006 Sapphire Princess Alaska
May 2006 Maasdam Canada/New England
plus others

Diamond on RCCL
Elite on Celebrity
Elite on Princess
one can never cruise too much
Seattle, Washington
1,103 Posts
Joined May 2009
The ship itself handles the weather better than just about any other ship and the promenade deck is wonderful. Unfortunately, Cunard is packing more passengers on board while maintaining the same level of staff (the recent “remastering” of QM2 and the squaring off of the QV’s stern and subsequent loss of the Chart Room). As a shareholder I understand these moves but as a passenger it makes Cunard less desirable.

A couple of years ago my wife tried Oceania with her sister. They both raved about the food (everyone has the same menu, from the Owner’s Suite down to inside cabins). So she treated me to an Oceania cruise and I was hooked. Small, intimate ships, longer port calls, outstanding food and beds, even for steerage passengers.

I hate it when companies debase their brands.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

At Sea
5,409 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by chloe kitty
Just off the QM2. We have done dozens of cruises, but this was our first time, and LAST time on Cunard. The food was of low quality. Steaks in the dining room were mostly grizzle. Choice of food was extremely limited. Entertainment was fairly good. Tour desk was lacking. It was a very sick ship. Not a top ship my any means,
Clearly you and I have been sailing on very different QM2s; you should try the one I sail on sometime.

Great quality food, lots of choice each evening. Marvellous live entertainment in all areas of the ship.

After many, many voyages, I am looking forward to my next voyage on QM2 .

Next trip; Queen Elizabeth later this month (2nd cruise on her) can't wait
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over Four Million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2.
Washington, DC
669 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by pepperrn
Clearly you and I have been sailing on very different QM2s; you should try the one I sail on sometime.

Great quality food, lots of choice each evening. Marvellous live entertainment in all areas of the ship.

Thanks Pepper. Yours is the only QM2 on which we’ve ever sailed. There may be another, but we’ve never encountered it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums
At Sea
5,409 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Thaxted
Thanks Pepper. Yours is the only QM2 on which we’ve ever sailed. There may be another, but we’ve never encountered it.
Thank you Thaxted. Maybe we'll meet one day on our QM2?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23755130_365019393924931_866747317908602035_n.jpg (8.3 KB, 375 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over Four Million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2.
US
535 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
What in the world is grizzle?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QUEEN MARY 2 - Oct 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, May 2006, Dec 2007, July 2008, Dec 2008, Dec 2009, Dec 2010, Sept 2011, Sept 2013, Oct 2014, Oct 2015
Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach, CA - Dec 2013

Disney Magic - Jan 2014, Disney Dream - Dec 2015, Sept 2016, Feb 2017

Eurodam Alaksa Sept 2017 - mistake

Cambridgeshire
3,064 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by axelskater
What in the world is grizzle?
This is a description of the state of a fretful child; the baby was very grizzly all evening. Does not relate to food in my opinion. The word that I assume the poster needed to use was gristly, from there being too much gristle in the steak. If only they had used an automatic spell checker they would have got drizzle, a light rain in prolific fine droplets.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas, Queen Victoria
Chicago, IL, USA
2,096 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by pepperrn

Hi,

I agree with your comments. I have sailed aboard the QM2 six times between 2004 and 2017. This is my favorite ship that currently is in service. I have always had a wonderful time aboard the QM2. I am sailing aboard the Queen Victoria this fall for a second time. Also, I have cruised aboard the current Queen Elizabeth as well as the legendary QE2 (seven times).

Chuck
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
566 days - 89 cruises - 64 ships

Princess (132 days, 20 cruises); Royal Caribbean (124 days, 22 cruises); Cunard (105 days, 17 cruises); Norwegian (53 days, 8 cruises); Celebrity (51 days, 8 cruises); Crystal (43 days, 5 cruises); Holland America (38 days, 5 cruises); Other (20 days, 4 cruises)

Future cruises: Queen Victoria, Sep. 22, 2018 (7-day Mediterranean); Mariner of the Seas, Dec. 7, 2018 (3-day Bahamas); Symphony of the Seas, Feb. 23, 2019 (7-day Western Caribbean)

Areas cruised to: Alaska; Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand); Australia; Bahamas; Bermuda; Canada/New England; Caribbean; Greek Islands; Hawaii; Mediterranean; Mexican Riviera; Norway; Pacific Coastal; Panama Canal; Scandinavia/Russia; Spain/Portugal; Tahiti; Transatlantic Crossings
San Francisco, CA
1,422 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
I think that the poster has some valid points. On some measures, I honestly think that the standard QM2 Britannia experience isn't clearly better than the competition on Celebrity, Princess, HAL and other premium lines. Food? Not a clear winner, in my experience. Especially when you look at the lack of published "always available" choices. Yes, I know that they "are" available by special request, but if you don't know the secret menu, it doesn't exist.

Likewise the attitude from Cunard corp and many on board. (Although, personally, my interactions with the Pursers Desk have been fine) Evidently when replies are sought, silence is golden. Unlike other lines which spend time monitoring social media to alert them to problems, Cunard seems to revel in ignoring it.

Cunard sells the experience as total luxury. Except in the grills, it isn't close. It's wonderful. I love it. But - if one is looking for a luxury experience with exceptional food at Britannia levels, it ain't gonna' live up to the hype.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Mark Katzenberger

Upcoming Queen Mary 2 - RT N Atlantic crossing - 2018, Queen Mary 2 - NY, Halifax, Boston - 2019,
Eurodam - Pacific repo - 2018, Queen Mary 2 - RT crossing + Bruges - 2017, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2016,
Celebrity Infinity
- S. America - 2015, Star Princess - Pacific repo - 2015, AMACello - Rhine - 2013,
Norwegian Spirit - W Caribbean - 2011, Crystal Serenity - E Med - 2010, Queen Mary 2 - Canada - 2009,
Eurodam - Baltics - 2009, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2008, Queen Elizabeth 2 - W Med - 2008,
Amsterdam - Alaska - 2007, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean - 2007, Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 2005,
Star Princess - Mexico - 2002, Carnival Spirit - Pacific repo - 2001, Norwegian Majesty - S Caribbean - 2001,
Rembrandt - Canada - 2000, Seabourn Sun - SF cruise to nowhere - 2000, Queen Elizabeth 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 1999,
Zenith - Bermuda - 1998, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Panama Canal - 1997, Celebrity Century - W Caribbean - 1996,
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 1993, Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific repo - 1993, Crown Princess - E Caribbean - 1991,
Westerdam - Mexico repo - 1990, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Hawaii - 1989, Cunard Princess - Pacific repo - 1987
579 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Classiccruiser777
A couple of years ago my wife tried Oceania with her sister. They both raved about the food (everyone has the same menu, from the Owner’s Suite down to inside cabins). So she treated me to an Oceania cruise and I was hooked. Small, intimate ships, longer port calls, outstanding food and beds, even for steerage passengers.

I hate it when companies debase their brands.
We had two consecutive cruises Oceania Riviera + transatlantic on the QM2.
The liner looked like a floating palace after the Riviera. It was so refreshing!
As for the food in the MDR on the QM2 - yes, it does not make credit the most reputable brand in the world. I am not able to find an explanation for that. We had meals in the buffet and the pub most of the time.
Given this deficiency, the overall experience nevertheless surpasses all the rest available at sea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog - my personal cruise travel
3,027 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
I love QM2 - and her sisters- but QM2 is my favorite - the grandeur, the style. As for the food in the Britannia- well it never failed for me to leave the table quite pleased witth my food. Compareable to Celebrity´s quality once was ( no longer ) ! You can´t expect 5 star meals when not paying the price for it!
As always with food- cat´s love to have mice for their meals- I don´t fancy them- in other words- some may like it some not!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New Hamsphire
555 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
I find the Cunard experience to be a fine combination of excellent sea worthy ships, The "British" tradition tea every afternoon and of dressing for dinner (even the informal is leaps over informal on other lines) and best of all, the passengers. Dinner in Britannia at a table for 8-10 simply can not be matched and that makes the food a secondary thought Though I will say, the staff will go out of their way to please if you simply ask politely.
Oakland, CA USA
2,162 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by MarkBearSF
I think that the poster has some valid points. On some measures, I honestly think that the standard QM2 Britannia experience isn't clearly better than the competition on Celebrity, Princess, HAL and other premium lines. Food? Not a clear winner, in my experience. Especially when you look at the lack of published "always available" choices. Yes, I know that they "are" available by special request, but if you don't know the secret menu, it doesn't exist.

Likewise the attitude from Cunard corp and many on board. (Although, personally, my interactions with the Pursers Desk have been fine) Evidently when replies are sought, silence is golden. Unlike other lines which spend time monitoring social media to alert them to problems, Cunard seems to revel in ignoring it.

Cunard sells the experience as total luxury. Except in the grills, it isn't close. It's wonderful. I love it. But - if one is looking for a luxury experience with exceptional food at Britannia levels, it ain't gonna' live up to the hype.
Very good points, Mark. I pretty much agree. But we will continue to include the QM2 in our plans because of the availability of Atlantic crossings, and because we dearly love many of the public rooms on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 41 Days
Crystal: 38 Days
Princess: 28 Days
Oceania: 14 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
SE Queensland, Australia
5,491 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
We are soon to do cruises 6,7 and 8 with Cunard - and our 3rd on QM2. I have noticed that of all the ships we have cruised on from various different cruiselines, QM2 is the one that I get the most complaints about. I can't really understand these complaints - but I suspect that it has something to do with the complainers expectations. QM2 is an extremely "overhyped" ship - when it visits my country, it is front page news and the word "luxury" is liberally used. Cunard themselves like to promote this aspect - and call their two other Queens "Ocean Liners". Personally, all of these cruiselines are much the same to me in most respects - except for those in which they differ. Cunard does differ from other cruiselines - whether that difference is good or bad is subjective.My wife and I like the ambiance of Cunard ships - but we also like the completely casual and laid back style of the Norwegian Cruiseline ship "Pride of America" cruising around Hawaii . Sometimes I think that some people need to live in some cave in Afghanistan for a few weeks to regain perspective in their lives !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
A Blog of our unusual "World Cruise" - Brisbane to Brisbane, Australia - 12 weeks on two different P&O ships, Oriana and Arcadia - with a White Christmas in-between....UK 2010

A review of our 28 day cruise to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl.... Pacific Pearl to Tahiti

Pics of our "3 Queens" cruise with Cunard--May/Jun 2012...Plane, Cunard and train to Germany

Pics of our 14 nights on Voyager of the Seas -- to NZ...On a BIG ship to NZ

A report of the inaugural cruise by Pacific Dawn to Papua New Guinea ports...Pacific Dawn to PNG

Ships sailed on since 2007

P&O Pacific Star
P&O Pacific Sun x 2
P&O Pacific Dawn x 3
P&O Pacific Pearl
P&O Pacific Aria
P&O Oriana
P&O Arcadia
Cunard Queen Victoria
Cunard Queen Elizabeth x 2
Cunard Queen Mary 2 x 2
RCCL Voyager of the Seas
RCCL Radiance of the Seas
Carnival Spirit
Sea Princess
Sun Princess
NCL Pride of America
855 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by bazzaw
Sometimes I think that some people need to live in some cave in Afghanistan for a few weeks to regain perspective in their lives !!
How true! Unfortunately there are people who enjoy to complain all the time - I ignore them because they do not only spoil the time of other guests but their own time as well. To me it has never happened before that the food was as bad as described, and if it was, there are plenty of other places on the ship to go to.
The ship itself is of high quality, elegant and solid and represents what one expects from a true ocean liner.
Full stop.
San Francisco, CA
1,422 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Make no mistake, I love Cunard (as a scan of my past cruises in my sig will verify) but feel that they are in danger. Not only from the aging of their customer base, but from falling behind the competition. No, not in razzle-dazzle, but in other ways.

Internet. More lines are offering high-speed Internet. These have also been accompanied with a variety of plans, many not timed. As we all know, that is not the case with Cunard. Improvements have been mentioned with no specifics and no dates. It's not just millennials who are tied to their phones. (Of course, given this platform, I'm clearly preaching to the choir here). It's becoming more common for cruisers to have expectations for something better than two-generations-old connectivity.

Related to this, I think every line exceeds Cunard at providing access to reservations and folios and ability to order and manage excursions and dining, before and during the voyage. Literally. I haven't encountered a website which lacks so much information and is so limited in over a decade. Bottom of the pack. Login? Creaky. Advance reservations for excursions, transfers, and dining? Limited. In cabin online reservations? Nope. They certainly must have a review of charges?? No such luck.
Literally, the worst in the industry.

What once had been sufficient or even leading (I remember the original QE2 Computer Learning Centre before they could be connected to the Internet or anything else and I went up to the radio room to enter an email on their equipment) - is now woefully out of date. And these aren't frills. They have become expectations.

Likewise the food is missing the boat for many. For years, the cuisine was international "country club fancy" dining, as we'd refer to it in the states. And budgets have been shrinking on all lines. In this case, Cunard Britannia is certainly far from the worst amongst its competitors, but Britannia falls short of the consistently luxurious experience that is sold. Perhaps more often a factor of unrealistic expectations, but a cause for disappointment nonetheless.

Additionally, today's new passenger profile has different expectations. They like having different experiences and options. With the explosion of food programming and interest in cooking, there's interest in cuisine that goes beyond the old standards. (Dining in foodie San Francisco, I think many restaurant menus come from a "Chopped" mystery basket.) Personally, I found that Celebrity went too far to the trendy in that the best part of some of my meals was the description in the menu. Adding a "Something different" daily dinner option would be helpful for those growing numbers of foodies. On the other end, I think all the other lines offer a standard list of basic items which are always available. Adding these items explicitly to the Britannia menu would help here. (Especially if a new cruiser is feeling "trapped" by fixed dining and few menu choices) I'd also consider adding a truly good burger with good fixins (not the usual preformed patties with a thin slice of pale tomato). Yeah, it's downmarket - but it's also found at some of the top restaurants in New York. I'd also make the alternative dining option more well known. Not only can you not make reservations before boarding, and again, not from the TV either, but if you want to know the schedule for the week, you must chase down the Maitre d' upstairs.

Finally, Cunard REALLY needs to step up its presence and interaction with its customers.

Note, these are different from the ever-present difficulty reconciling the expectations of ultimate luxury with the reality of being one of 1500 (?) passengers in Britannia - at a per diem of as little as $150. Also none of these suggestions disturbs Cunard's niche and special traditions of formal dress code and fixed dining assignments.

I fear that Cunard is sitting on its laurels and has missed how customers have changed and how the rest of the travel and hospitality industry has moved forward and left them behind.

Reading the reviews can be enlightening.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Mark Katzenberger

Upcoming Queen Mary 2 - RT N Atlantic crossing - 2018, Queen Mary 2 - NY, Halifax, Boston - 2019,
Eurodam - Pacific repo - 2018, Queen Mary 2 - RT crossing + Bruges - 2017, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2016,
Celebrity Infinity
- S. America - 2015, Star Princess - Pacific repo - 2015, AMACello - Rhine - 2013,
Norwegian Spirit - W Caribbean - 2011, Crystal Serenity - E Med - 2010, Queen Mary 2 - Canada - 2009,
Eurodam - Baltics - 2009, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2008, Queen Elizabeth 2 - W Med - 2008,
Amsterdam - Alaska - 2007, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean - 2007, Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 2005,
Star Princess - Mexico - 2002, Carnival Spirit - Pacific repo - 2001, Norwegian Majesty - S Caribbean - 2001,
Rembrandt - Canada - 2000, Seabourn Sun - SF cruise to nowhere - 2000, Queen Elizabeth 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 1999,
Zenith - Bermuda - 1998, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Panama Canal - 1997, Celebrity Century - W Caribbean - 1996,
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 1993, Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific repo - 1993, Crown Princess - E Caribbean - 1991,
Westerdam - Mexico repo - 1990, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Hawaii - 1989, Cunard Princess - Pacific repo - 1987
3,598 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
The OP has had the usual jumping on from the “perfect” brigade for simply stating facts as experienced. I don’t doubt that many do find Cunard perfect in every way and I am happy that they do but others, including myself find it hard to understand how eating food which is often well below the standard eaten and cooked at home can be classed perfect. I have often sent back steak that was uneatable and left the replacement un eaten.

I have no doubt that standards have slumped well below the early days after QM2 launch.

DAVID.