Pre-Made Sandwiches in the LIDO - Lack of a Made To Order Sandwich Bar

On our last Holland America cruise I was greatly disappointed to see that the Made To Order Sandwich Bar had been discontinued and substituted with Pre-Packaged Sandwiches. We have been Three Star on Holland America for many years with well over a hundred nights on this cruise line. We will not take any more Holland America cruises as long as the Made To Order Sandwich Bar is a feature of the past. This is one reduction in quality that we will not tolerate. We do not go on cruises to eat Pr:mad:e-Made Sandwiches

Is this a joke? Why did you not just make your own sandwich? There is bread and buns available plus meat, salad bar, cheeses, sauces, dressings etc. Do you have someone at home who makes your sandwiches? Can you guarantee that any other line that you cruise with will make your sandwich for you?

You can have made to order sandwiches if you want them.....just ask! We like to get our desired bread/bun and then put the fillings on a plate and make our own sandwich. Lots of mayo and other condiments are readily available, as well as the salad bar, which has egg salad and tuna salad and other typical salad fixings. You can also go the carving station and get turkey, ham, roast beef, etc. if that's what you like.

To not cruise with HAL because of sandwiches? Well, I can't even respond to such silliness.

I hope I never give up on a travel company because of a sandwich.

Lol!

But in any case, on the Zaandam last week they had a different carvery meat each day there by sandwich fixings and you could have a custom sandwich made with that. They were also doing special grilled cheese sammies. This may have been just for cold weather Alaska. (Good with soup.)

I didn't look too closely at any of this, but DH likes sandwiches and he came back to the table with some good-looking custom jobs. More was available than on our cruise last fall.

If you don't see a sandwich you like, you can certainly ask the attendant; they are usually happy to make one for you. If it's taking the lack of fresh sandwiches to sway you to another cruise company, it just leaves me shaking my head.

You can always go to the dining room for lunch, or get one of the fabulous club sandwiches from room service - they're always freshly made.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

This was a hot topic for a few months back in 2016. To bad the OP didn't chime in then. It's amazing that anyone would forgo cruising on HAL for the sake of a sandwich, especially given the fact that many passengers, me included, like the pre-made ones. As others have mentioned, it's also possible to have made to order sandwiches with little effort.

On our last Holland America cruise I was greatly disappointed to see that the Made To Order Sandwich Bar had been discontinued and substituted with Pre-Packaged Sandwiches. We have been Three Star on Holland America for many years with well over a hundred nights on this cruise line. We will not take any more Holland America cruises as long as the Made To Order Sandwich Bar is a feature of the past. This is one reduction in quality that we will not tolerate. We do not go on cruises to eat Pr:mad:e-Made Sandwiches

OMG! You're kidding, right. Talk about your first world problems!

While we're reviving dead topics, what are your thoughts on no trays in the Lido OP? :'):')

Funny story - I saw a guy chew out a poor steward on the QM2 last week for not having trays in King’s Court. That steward, a true gentleman, went into the galley and came out with a giant budding tray for the guy. I admit, I laughed.

Edited by sppunk

Wow. Just wow. This is probably someone who also complains about how entitled Millennials are too.

Visiting the carving station in the Lido and creating one's own "Dagwood" sandwich is the best idea.

While I find some of the pre-made sandwich concoctions not to my liking, I have enjoyed others.

No sandwiches to your liking in the Lido Restaurant? Try the Dive-In. Great burgers and hot dogs!

Last week there were both pre-made as well as custom built sandwiches in the Lido on Veendam. I liked the interesting combinations available in the premade sandwich section. Brie and Pear anyone?

As far as trays go, I brought my own. It not only makes a nice suitcase divider but is a great way to transport 2 juices and 2 cups of coffee back to the stateroom to start the day.

I lost count of the number of people who asked me where I got my tray.