How much more would you be willing to pay to sail on Edge?

Tapi

I’m pricing out 2 sailings, one on Edge and one on Silhouette. They depart one day apart, almost identical itineraries but Edge adds one extra day and one extra port. Aquaclass staterooms on both.

Edge prices out approximately $60 more per person / per night. I’m a seasoned cruiser, but I’ve never sailed on Celebrity so I won’t have any other Celebrity ship to compare either one of these ships with.

I know that all we can do is speculate about what Edge will truly be like, but I’m curious to know what seasoned Celebrity cruisers who’ve booked a sailing on Edge (or are considering it) are willing to pay extra to sail on Celebrity’s newest and most revolutionary ship.

Thanks for any info that you may provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

I’m pricing out 2 sailings, one on Edge and one on Silhouette. They depart one day apart, almost identical itineraries but Edge adds one extra day and one extra port. Aquaclass staterooms on both.

Edge prices out approximately $60 more per person / per night. I’m a seasoned cruiser, but I’ve never sailed on Celebrity so I won’t have any other Celebrity ship to compare either one of these ships with.

I know that all we can do is speculate about what Edge will truly be like, but I’m curious to know what seasoned Celebrity cruisers who’ve booked a sailing on Edge (or are considering it) are willing to pay extra to sail on Celebrity’s newest and most revolutionary ship.

I don’t think your question can be answered through information. It is more a matter of taste and preference. As of tomorrow we will have sailed on four M- class ships (Infinity, Millennium, Constellation, and now Summit.) We’ve sailed on two S-class, Silhouette and Eclipse and have 8-10 weeks of future cruises booked on Eclipse. Where & when we’ve sailed has been totally based on itinerary, not the ship. Or ship class. All other things equal, I would sail the M-class because they are smaller and less pretentious. But we have thoroughly enjoyed all of our Celebrity cruises.

On your specific question, with identical itineraries, I would go on the ship with more convenient embarkation time given international travel and jet lag and amenities in the port. I wouldn’t pay more just to go on the Edge. I wouldn’t avoid the Edge just to save a few dollars, I would like that extra day but that extra port had better be one I really wanted to see. But pay a premium just to sail on a new ship? No.

I don’t think your question can be answered through information. It is more a matter of taste and preference.

I am usually drawn to new ships, specially if they are radically different, and I do enjoy the feeling of experiencing something new and innovative. That’s why the Edge has caught my attention. I remember when Royal introduced the Oasis class and we sailed on the Allure during its inaugural season. I loved every minute of that sailing. I was fascinated with all the technical aspects of that ship more than with the actual ports we visited. We are now booked on the brand new MSC Meraviglia in the Western Mediterranean next summer. Although the itinerary is a big draw, I would be lying if I said that I’m not looking forward to the actual ship just as much.

With that said, I’ve also thoroughly enjoyed sailing on smaller, more traditional ships where the itinerary was the main focus. For example, our sailing to Alaska aboard HAL’s Westerdam ranks as one of my best cruises ever.

I’m positive that no matter which Celebrity ship I select, it will be a fantastic experience since it will all be new to me no matter what. But I am definitely drawn to what I’ve seen about Edge so far.

We are booked on the Edge. We booked the day bookings opened. We liked the idea of a totally new & different ship and the itinerary was more to our liking than other Celebrity itineraries. Other 7 day itineraries in Jan/Feb with 2 perks were about & $45O cheaper but we did get 3 perks with out booking.

In all honesty, we are not big fans of Caribbean cruising but it had been about 4 years since we had done a Caribbean so the attraction of a new ship was the deciding factor.

I’m holding out waiting for reports on those balconies.

Edge will be almost a year old by the time we sail on her, so I’m hoping that there will be plenty of reports during that time frame. The concept of the infinite verandah looks very appealing, but I do wonder what the reviews will be like once the actual product comes out. I did watch a video of a mock-up of one of those staterooms and it looked very interesting.

Edge prices out approximately $60 more per person / per night. I’m a seasoned cruiser, but I’ve never sailed on Celebrity so I won’t have any other Celebrity ship to compare either one of these ships with.Thanks for any info that you may provide.

$60 a day is pretty good but I’m holding out waiting for reports on those balconies. We may prefer the S class and would pay zilch to sail Edge.

I very rarely pay $60pp/night... not for an UPGRADE but for the CRUISE... base fare plus taxes... but I sure do appreciate everyone who pays so much more to be on the same ship to visit the same ports. :D

I very rarely pay $60pp/night... not for an UPGRADE but for the CRUISE... base fare plus taxes... but I sure do appreciate everyone who pays so much more to be on the same ship to visit the same ports. :D

Yes, but you sail in an inside which is not an option for us. I’d rather spend my vacation dollars elsewhere but you’re welcome

I would want more pictures and room descriptions before I would be convinced I am actually comparing apples to apples with reference to room type.

In our case we usually book a RS. On S class you have a spacious comfortable lounge area, a table for 6 and a real wet bar area. The only picture of the Edge RS I have seen looks much narrower and far less ‘comfortable’.

Unfortunately newer design can look nice but not necessarily provide what is important to you. So my answer is much as it can be worth a bit extra to try something new I do think sometimes ‘innovative design’ does not always equate to better design. I will be looking out for suite reviews before committing to a booking!

Personally, my usual philosophy is: cutting-edge is good, bloody-edge not. Having said that, like chemo, I would want more information as well as allowing time for the new ship to bed in. As things stand, I have many concerns about the Edge-class ships that I would need answered before I would consider booking.

Zero. Unless you are sailing in a suite, I don't see any advantage to sailing on the Edge. In fact since they are dedicating more space to the Suite passengers, I expect the Edge to be less enjoyable than the current S-class ships. The regular passenger was a victim of the "revolutionary" design.

I might pay a nominal amount, if the design appeals, as was the case with Quantum class (RCL). That was worth it.

I haven't seen anything on Edge that appeals; more the opposite as it seems to be more about removing you from the sea and just being at a luxury land resort. The technical innovation just seems to be a copy of Quantum class. Hence I wouldn't pay any more in this case.

Every cruise line over-prices cruises on brand-new ships to maximise profit from early-adopters. I'd pay $10pppn extra, or else wait a couple of years. No evidence that the food or service levels will be any better, is there?

Stuart

That old English phrase ‘Fur coat and no knickers’ springs to mind...food, service, crowding in main areas are all key to any one ship being better than another and certainly more important than just a classy look! Hopefully Edge will have the fur coat but quality knickers in place too!

Zero. Unless you are sailing in a suite, I don't see any advantage to sailing on the Edge. In fact since they are dedicating more space to the Suite passengers, I expect the Edge to be less enjoyable than the current S-class ships. The regular passenger was a victim of the "revolutionary" design.

I think you might be right.

My thought is that, either ship will be a "new" one for you. We love the Solstice Class ships and Silhouette is one of them. So, for $120 per night of savings, (enough to pay for shore excursions or a drink package) that is where we'd be.

Edge is supposed to be great but I am not excited by what I've read about the differences, mostly the structure that will travel up and down on one side of the ship blocking balconies even with it's track system. We got an email the day Edge was available for booking and passed. It looks, to me, like a super-deluxe RCL ship and we much prefer Solstice class to any of RCL. Just our opinion. Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers!

It depends on you entirely. Are you one of those folks that has to have the latest iPhone the day it is announced? Waits in line for a big movie the first day? Willing to pay more for being before most of the crowd? Or somebody who waits for the movie to be on cable TV a year later or gets the iPhone after it has been around and reviewed for a year? Nobody here can answer that except for you personally. Some folks jump at the opportunity to sail on a new ship as soon as available because it is what they like. Sometimes not a matter of just price.

$0. Only once did I sail on a ship the first year - not that big of a deal and certainly not worth paying inflated prices to do so.

Same here, I am not going to pay a ton extra to go on Edge. We love the Soltice Class and will continue to sail them. Only way we will do Edge is if the price goes way down. We are not even very crazy about the looks of Edge based on the pictures I have seen, Soltice Class looks way prettier.

Suite class might be worth a premium. But I'm unsure why you'd pay a premium for other rooms other than it being new and attracting those who like to sail on new ships.

I don't believe for one moment that food or service will be any better than on existing ships. Just different venues etc.

I don't believe it will be worth the current $400 = per person per night for aqua class or the $600 to $700 per person per night for a sky suite on the Med itineraries.