Lost Luggage

Adanac16

My Mom just got off the Star in Vancouver yesterday from what she said was the best

cruise ever, except for one thing ......her luggage was was not there in the luggage pick up area.

We have told her if it is not found that insurance will probably cover it, but she is still upset.

At the port they said they were surprised that her's was the only one lost that day as they usually have more lost luggage in a day.clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

Just wondering if anyone on this board has lost their luggage and if it was ever eventually found.

My DIL’s luggage was once mistakenly taken by another passenger at the baggage claim after disembarkation in Port Everglades. It took us time to look together with the Princess staff. After more than an hour, while the staff was making the Lost Report, another staff informed us that someone was returning the luggage and looking for their own luggage. The luggages apparently are the same.

I hope your mom recover hers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So far, so good, we have never had an issuer with lost luggage. However, more than once we have found one of our bags in another group of bags other than the group were it was suppose to be. My only guess is that someone grabbed it and then realized their mistake and just left it in the different area rather than take it back to where was. :confused:

Hopefully your Mom's luggage has ID in it and will eventually find its way back to her.

Most people don't realize, luggage is only touched by Princess employees while it's ON THE SHIP. Pre and post handling is done by long shore men who don't really give a crap about your bag.

At Los Angels port waiting for disembakation, watched one worker "throwing bags for distance" onto cement floor through open bay door. Different cruise, Samsonite hardshell frame got bent same port.

Any breakable or expensive items are put into carry on

Most people don't realize, luggage is only touched by Princess employees while it's ON THE SHIP. Pre and post handling is done by long shore men who don't really give a crap about your bag.

At Los Angels port waiting for disembakation, watched one worker "throwing bags for distance" onto cement floor through open bay door. Different cruise, Samsonite hardshell frame got bent same port.

Any breakable or expensive items are put into carry on

That is what happen when they are not working for tips

Much like baggage claim at airlines, I am honestly shocked it doesn't happen more often, not only from malfeasance but from pure human error.

I assume she filed a report with Princess, hopefully it was something as simple as mistaken identity or a tag came off as opposed to someone grabbing an extra bag in the hopes of finding souvenirs (and yes, it happens).

Once lost a bag at the Telviv airport... case looked the same, did not realize I had the wrong one til I opened at the hotel, kids clothes... we had been detailed for customs, so when we went to get our luggage, it was only there... assume it was ours. Took back to airport and other party did the same. So honest mistakes happen. Had luggage delayed by air... that work okay too. Hope your mom gets it back.

You could mark your bags, tape, ribbon something that stands out. Makes it easier to find and that hopefully when there are so many bags that look the same, if someone grabs yours, it crosses their mind that my bags did not have this on it.

One time I did think my bags were lost, I was at the airport. Fort Lauderdale to Huston to San Francisco. Arrived at San Fran and was in the baggage claim area, waiting for them to come off the carousel. All the bags had come off, but not mine. Oh great, lost baggage, here we go. I just happen to look around, there sat my baggage on the floor about 15 feet away. It had got there before me. That had never happen before...

We have 2 in wide nylon identifier straps that are about 2ft long that fold over with 2 industrial snaps on our luggage.....they work like a charm! They have traveled all over the world and never any issue. We ordered them from a company in RI 7 yrs ago. They embroidered our last name in block print but we could have picked anything we wanted on them.

One the travel stores that sell all our needs starts with an M and was a explorer sells luggage straps. I ordered mine with my name on them and makes great to spot and hard to be picked by mistake. When people disembark before their tag color is called will have to wait until that luggage is unloaded. Not all luggage is on the pier at the same time. Dah why they tell you approximately the time to disembark.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Forums mobile app

One the travel stores that sell all our needs starts with an M and was a explorer sells luggage straps. I ordered mine with my name on them and makes great to spot and hard to be picked by mistake. When people disembark before their tag color is called will have to wait until that luggage is unloaded. Not all luggage is on the pier at the same time. Dah why they tell you approximately the time to disembark.

It would be nice if you tell us the name of the store.

You're not allowed to mention Travel Agents. As long as the store isn't also selling cruises, you can mention it.

A luggage strap with your name sounds like a great idea.

So far, so good, we have never had an issuer with lost luggage. However, more than once we have found one of our bags in another group of bags other than the group were it was suppose to be. My only guess is that someone grabbed it and then realized their mistake and just left it in the different area rather than take it back to where was. :confused:

Hopefully your Mom's luggage has ID in it and will eventually find its way back to her.

We have been on a couple cruises where luggage could not be found in designated color area, then mysteriously appear 10 minutes later. No explanation given. I wish luggage was checked at the exits like in the 'old days' at airports' baggage claim.

I believe we are only restricted from mentioning travel agents by name and not travel stores. :D

OK i’m Convinced they’re Great. You can tell us where to get them. It’s making me crazy!!

I have to get them :)

Tony

OK i’m Convinced they’re Great. You can tell us where to get them. It’s making me crazy!!

I have to get them :)

Tony

Here's the link to the page with the personalized strap, tag and handle wrap on it: https://www.magellans.com/Search.aspx?txtSearch=luggage+strap&GASearchTerm=luggage+strap&srchcat=TOP_SEARCH_QUERIES.

We just buy plain luggage straps (Target, Walmart, T.J.Maxx, etc) and print our last name on them with a permanent marker ;)