Preventing disappointment/problems for cruise mates

weltek

We are cruising with my BIL & SIL in January. We are seasoned cruisers, and they have never cruised before. When we asked them if they wanted to join us, we knew they weren't detail people. Little did we know just how deep that ran. They are NOT planners (she couldn't even tell someone at Christmas what cruise line we were sailing), so everything that is a MUST do has fallen on me. They seem to think it makes my life easier just to say, "we'll do whatever you want to do." Sigh. The good news is that they will generally be quite happy just to relax in the sun. I've sent them the link on the NCL page about preparing for their cruise. Not sure if they'll actually read it.

I've taken care of the following:

-Booked FLL to hotel transportation

-Specialty restaurant reservations for all four of us

-Booked one excursion

-Given them some general advice on what to expect re: boarding, their specialty dining and beverage packages.

I didn't think to tell them details about internet, and that came up this weekend. They were surprised (and a tiny bit put out) they'd have to pay for access. What else is important to tell them in order to manage their expectations?

I don't want to make this all my responsibility, but they will do zero research and I want them to have a decent time (that will make my vacation more enjoyable once there!). Are there things that were a rude-awakening for you on a cruise, or did your inexperienced companions freak out about something?

Edited to add we are cruising on the Escape (we've been on it) to Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Nassau, and GSC, if that matters (it's our first time to CG & Falmouth).

Make sure they know only drinks up to $15 are included in the UBP and that no drinks in the minibar are included so tell them not to use anything in their mini-fridge or they will be charged for it. Some people don't know if they are not told so to avoid those unexpected charges I would advise them of these things.

And tell them about the Daily Service Charge if you ahven't already so they know to expect that.

You really cannot tell them everything even if you tried. One thing that I would also advise them, the sun is far more intense in the Caribbean so please do not over-do it on Day 1 or 2. Pace themselves or they might get a terrible sunburn that will detract from the rest of the cruise so make sure they use sunscreen.

Edited by sykimball1498

Sounds like you have your hands full! In reality, there is little more you can do to make their cruise a good experience. As we know, most of the time it is your attitude that sets the tone for the cruise! If you can make them understand that they need to just relax and go with the flow, it will be a good experience. I think they will be in awe of the ship as most folks have no clue just how big the ship is and how much there is to do! If they don't start asking those first-timer questions pretty soon, there may be nothing you can do but let them see for themselves!

Ugh. You are in a bad position. I hate people like that. It's nice you are taking care of the pre-cruise details but once on board the ship I would stop playing group leader. You don't want to have that feeling of being responsible for their good time. They are big boy and girls, that's on them.

Do some stuff together. Take some time to yourself or hubby if the mood hits you. You may be pleasantly surprised at how much they enjoy themselves or get out and about on their first cruise.

I know that wasn't really what you asked but it's minus 9 degrees wind chill and I'm stuck in the house and bored. :)

I they haven't paid gratuities, it will be posted on their account every night so they may need to know that. It's best to go ahead and pre-pay it. Since they thought that internet was free, make sure they are aware what is included and what will be extra cost. Showing them an example of the daily with the activities may allow you to have some free time during the day on sea days if they know they are not necessarily tied to you all.

One thing you may want to bring up (delicately) is that for ports that tender, there is a possibility of the tendering not happening due to weather/sea conditions. If they are all excited about a port and it doesn't happen, they may become incredibly disappointed (and that might be hard for you to have to manage aboard the ship).

Hope it goes fantastic!

We are cruising with my BIL & SIL in January. We are seasoned cruisers, and they have never cruised before. When we asked them if they wanted to join us, we knew they weren't detail people. Little did we know just how deep that ran. They are NOT planners (she couldn't even tell someone at Christmas what cruise line we were sailing), so everything that is a MUST do has fallen on me. They seem to think it makes my life easier just to say, "we'll do whatever you want to do." Sigh. The good news is that they will generally be quite happy just to relax in the sun. I've sent them the link on the NCL page about preparing for their cruise. Not sure if they'll actually read it.

-Booked one excursion

-Given them some general advice on what to expect re: boarding, their specialty dining and beverage packages.

I didn't think to tell them details about internet, and that came up this weekend. They were surprised (and a tiny bit put out) they'd have to pay for access. What else is important to tell them in order to manage their expectations?

I don't want to make this all my responsibility, but they will do zero research and I want them to have a decent time (that will make my vacation more enjoyable once there!). Are there things that were a rude-awakening for you on a cruise, or did your inexperienced companions freak out about something?

Edited to add we are cruising on the Escape (we've been on it) to Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Nassau, and GSC, if that matters (it's our first time to CG & Falmouth).

I did that once with friends.......Never again:D

Ugh. You are in a bad position. I hate people like that. It's nice you are taking care of the pre-cruise details but once on board the ship I would stop playing group leader. You don't want to have that feeling of being responsible for their good time. They are big boy and girls, that's on them.

Do some stuff together. Take some time to yourself or hubby if the mood hits you. You may be pleasantly surprised at how much they enjoy themselves or get out and about on their first cruise.

I know that wasn't really what you asked but it's minus 9 degrees wind chill and I'm stuck in the house and bored. :)

I totally agree with ColinIllinois. It is unreasonable for you to be expected to plan their vacation. I would share with them what you have already planned, and make sure that they know that the rest is up to them. I agree that sharing links about packing is a good idea, but you can't make them read it. You will have to be able to live with that. It seems like you are being set up to be the fall guy for whatever is "wrong"; not a good place to be.

I read through the thread to make sure this wasn't already mentioned and it wasn't, so...

Make sure they have the proper documentation in order to get on the ship (passport or birth certificate)!

Good luck. I'm also the planner in my group. Don't worry too much about their expectations/reactions. They have to take some responsibility as well. And remember that is also YOUR vacation!

-Booked one excursion

We've been down this road as well!

You've been given plenty of good advice so far, but I would "make" my friends aware that there are quite a few things THEY NEED to take care of themselves SOON, or they might literally "miss the boat!" Direct them to:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise

and make them aware that there are some very important pieces of information that they should not overlook (like Money Matters, What's included (and NOT), Need to Know, etc.)

Bottom line, You can lead the horse to water...

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and that you get the lovely cruise that you are trying to create for all of you!!!

-Booked one excursion

We've been down this road as well!

You've been given plenty of good advice so far, but I would "make" my friends aware that there are quite a few things THEY NEED to take care of themselves SOON, or they might literally "miss the boat!" Direct them to:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise

and make them aware that there are some very important pieces of information that they should not overlook (like Money Matters, What's included (and NOT), Need to Know, etc.)

Bottom line, You can lead the horse to water...

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and that you get the lovely cruise that you are trying to create for all of you!!!

Tell them a cruise is like life. They will have a fabulous time, but everything on a cruise does not go according to plan. Small things will go wrong on a cruise, just as in life. There is no such thing as a flawless cruise. Despite the short comings, small disappointments and changes to your schedule, it will still be a great vacation. You can't really change anything when you are on a boat. There is so much that is out of your control and you are at the mercy of mother nature, the ship, the staff, other passengers and every oppositioonal force imaginable. Yet somehow, an amazing vacation blossoms from all this, if you just roll with what happens on the ship (or off on shore). So just know, you're basically committed and there is no turning back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

One thing that no one has mentioned yet, is to explain to them simple terms that will help them navigate the ship on their own. (Forward, aft, port, starboard, ect) It's pretty overwhelming for a "newbie" just trying to get from point A to point B on a large ship like the Escape...

I did that once with friends.......Never again:D

I've done it twice now with newbies! Both couples enjoyed the cruise.

But I see your point😂!

OP it's been mention but passports/birth certificates are a MUST.

If you haven't explained the other financial situations of daily Service Charge and 15.00 drink limit on UBP, NOW is the time.

Plus they will be charged Miami City Tax on drinks while docked.

Good Luck and YES it's YOUR cruise also.

Make it abundantly clear that they will have to put THEIR credit card down for incidentals, ANY purchases on the ship that they make, all daily service charges/gratuities (whatever it's being called), ANY amount of money and tip over the $15 drink maximum (as mentioned earlier). The proper documentation is SO important. If they don't bring it, YOU GO ON THE CRUISE WITHOUT THEM.

Also, IMO, make it CLEAR that you and your wife/hubby (I don't know who is writing thread) will be with them some of the time BUT your alone &/or couple time is extremely valuable to you.

If it were me, I would NOT tell them a tender may NOT happen. No one on that ship knows if the tender will happen or NOT. Everyone will find out at the same time if there is a problem.

Try to have a great vacation/cruise.

I'd make very sure that their documents are in order. I can see them showing up with the cutesy hospital certificate rather that the legal document.

I actually feel sorry for all of you. You for having this responsibility. Them for going through life clueless

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We t traveling with 2 other couples in April.

We made a closed group fb page and I copy and paste a bunch of info there. Especially a lot of cruise critic info. Doug's live review, specialty restaurant menus, drink pictures, and excursions.

I like to plan meals and shows ahead of time. I made a schedule showing free time on sea days with meeting times for dinner and shows.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

-Booked one excursion

Well you've already committed to going on the cruise with them and by mutual agreement they are letting you do all the arranging. I do not cruise with certain relatives because they seem to think all they need to do is show up and I will be their personal tour guide/butler/etc. etc. If I am ever in the situation again with them I would be honest and say something like everyone has their likes and dislikes so I am going to arrange for xyz but for the rest I feel you need to do xyz to avoid you being disappointed. I would stress about the passports and that's it.