Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:04 AM.
We live on a small lake in rural Nebr.
7,433 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by BlueRiband
A blazer isn't formal wear. I just came off a two week sailing with a lot of port days. Even informal on Cunard was a lot dressier than "elegant" nights on other lines. Cunard may be a bad fit for you if your preferred vacation style is more relaxed and casual. If a ship's atmosphere runs counter to your life style then it will disappoint you.

Why would you like to sail Cunard if dressing for dinner is not for you? It's like me saying that I would "like to sail Disney" but my life style does not want the company of young children or care to have interaction with costumed characters.
Of course I know a blazer isn't formal, I just wanted to know if it would 'do' on formal nights--it will on most cruise lines but I do realize Cunard is more formal. All I wanted to know is if they will let him in the dining room on formal nights with a nice blazer. If not, he will buy at least a suit if we go on a Cunard cruise.

We don't mind dressing up, kind of like it actually, but he would have to buy a new suit or tux due to weight gain. What I meant by life style is that in our normal everyday life he has no need for a suit and definitely not a tux, so it would probably not be worn much.

We enjoy trying different cruise lines and I'm sure would enjoy a Cunard cruise. It's just good to be prepared and to know what actually is required. While of course we like relaxation and a casual atmosphere at times, we enjoy the more formal nights too. They aren't mutually exclusive. I mean, he has a tux and likes to wear it if only it fit! Buying another one just for Cunard is what I was wondering about.

I know, losing weight would solve a lot of problems, but that's not always so easy!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi
Canyon Country, California
3,402 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Originally posted by Nebr.cruiser
Of course I know a blazer isn't formal, I just wanted to know if it would 'do' on formal nights--it will on most cruise lines but I do realize Cunard is more formal. All I wanted to know is if they will let him in the dining room on formal nights with a nice blazer. If not, he will buy at least a suit if we go on a Cunard cruise.

We don't mind dressing up, kind of like it actually, but he would have to buy a new suit or tux due to weight gain. What I meant by life style is that in our normal everyday life he has no need for a suit and definitely not a tux, so it would probably not be worn much.

We enjoy trying different cruise lines and I'm sure would enjoy a Cunard cruise. It's just good to be prepared and to know what actually is required. While of course we like relaxation and a casual atmosphere at times, we enjoy the more formal nights too. They aren't mutually exclusive. I mean, he has a tux and likes to wear it if only it fit! Buying another one just for Cunard is what I was wondering about.

I know, losing weight would solve a lot of problems, but that's not always so easy!
Just off the QM2 and all the gentleman had on at least a dark suit for formal nights. EXCEPT one gentleman on one night who must have gotten his days wrong and came to the dining room in a sport coat and tie. They did let him stay but he did look quite embarrassed and he was sitting way in the back by the back door on the second level so you couldn't really see him. He was the only exception . Not a bad idea to get a new suit as a spare.
USA
44 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Now that Holland America has "turned the corner" and morphed into... well something... in its late midlife crisis, Cunard is just about the last bastion of traditional cruising. No blaring 24/7 "music" in every room on every deck, jumbotrons, pool games, singing waiters and waterslides. And dress anyway you please. I am fed up with every cruise line thinking everyone aspires to this. They don't. I used to like HAL but will never go back. They left me not the other way around.

If anything, Cunard passengers go the dress code one better: the "Informal" jacket required for gents was exceeded by at least half those on my recent QE cruise by wearing a jacket AND a tie. Including me.

So yes, if you don't like or want to dress up after 6.00 pm, Cunard is not for you. But for those of us who do... hopefully it won't change or compromise. We look forward to the "dressing gong" even if they don't have that anymore...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
7,433 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by waltd
Just off the QM2 and all the gentleman had on at least a dark suit for formal nights. EXCEPT one gentleman on one night who must have gotten his days wrong and came to the dining room in a sport coat and tie. They did let him stay but he did look quite embarrassed and he was sitting way in the back by the back door on the second level so you couldn't really see him. He was the only exception . Not a bad idea to get a new suit as a spare.

Looks like my guy will be buying a new suit if we go Cunard. That's really all I wanted to know. Now if I could just get him to lose those pesky pounds! But I believe this is something everyone has to come to on their own.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi
Bournemouth
41 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Looks like my guy will be buying a new suit if we go Cunard. That's really all I wanted to know. Now if I could just get him to lose those pesky pounds! But I believe this is something everyone has to come to on their own.

Now my husband has retired he has the bare minimum of formal wear. A tuxedo - which he loathes but looks fabulous in - a charcoal grey suit - for weddings and funerals (more of the later these days) and the good old blazer! We take all three on the Cunard cruises as we live near Southampton. As Cunard relaxed the tuxedo only on formal nights we did ditch the tux last year as we flew over to see family in the States and returned on the QM2. He didn’t look or feel out of place at all. Forget the diet - life’s too short! Get the dark suit - there’ll always be funerals! LMAO!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
adrift
497 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
If you are a woman it is fairly easy to satisfy the dress code. There are very few difficult hard rules.

I am usually one of the least dressed up persons, if not THE least dressed up person in a Cunard dining room but I am always compliant, per se. DH and I always have a good chuckle about that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Azamara Quest - Mar 2018 - Cuba Intensive Voyage
Ponant Le Soléal - Dec 2018 - Holidays in Falklands, South Georgia, Weddell Sea and Antarctica

So vast the ocean ~ so little my time ~
7,433 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by Sibyl2
Now my husband has retired he has the bare minimum of formal wear. A tuxedo - which he loathes but looks fabulous in - a charcoal grey suit - for weddings and funerals (more of the later these days) and the good old blazer! We take all three on the Cunard cruises as we live near Southampton. As Cunard relaxed the tuxedo only on formal nights we did ditch the tux last year as we flew over to see family in the States and returned on the QM2. He didn’t look or feel out of place at all. Forget the diet - life’s too short! Get the dark suit - there’ll always be funerals! LMAO!

Where we live suits aren't very common even for weddings or funerals--not that one isn't perfectly acceptable, just not the norm. Shirt and tie and slacks, or with or without a blazer, or often not even a tie. We don't wear just black at funerals either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi
Bournemouth
41 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Where we live suits aren't very common even for weddings or funerals--not that one isn't perfectly acceptable, just not the norm. Shirt and tie and slacks, or with or without a blazer, or often not even a tie. We don't wear just black at funerals either.

Shhh! Don’t tell my husband or he’ll be heading your way! Lol! Get yours a suit in the sales. Then start travelling with Cunard all the time! Guess you’ll have the best dressed guy in town! Lol! X

USA
44 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
A dark suit is quite acceptable for formal evenings, certainly if you are dining in the Britannia. In the old days, that was the formal dress for Tourist Class and dinner jackets usually found in First Class. And it looked a lot better than those pastel blue d/js with the frilly ruffled shirts of the 70s!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
New Zealand
68 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
We am looking at several B to B cruises on Queen Victoria in April 2018. I am concern about the dress code for men. I will have a dark suite for formal, a sports jacket for informal nights. Would a black leather jacket be OK also for non formal nights also as I would use it when flying as luggage will be at a premium?
Queensland, Australia
301 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Some cruise lines hire out tuxes on board - does Cunard and in particular QM2?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rhapsody of the Seas - NZ 2008
ms Zaandam - Asia 2010
Jewel of the Seas - Baltics 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific 2012
Silver Shadow - Alaska 2013
Voyager of the Seas - South Pacific 2013
MSC Orchestra - Gallipoli 2015 Cruise
Celebrity Solstice - NZ Dec 2015
Carnival Spirit - March 2016
ms Koningsdam - Norse Legends - July 2016
P&O Pacific Aria - October 30 2016
Ovation of the Seas - NZ - Dec 2016
Golden Princess - PNG & Sth Pacific - Sep 2017
Radiance of The Seas - Tasmania - Dec 2017
Pacific Eden - Sea Break - Wine n Food - May 2018

Carnival Spirit - Singapore to Sydney - June 2018
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Melbourne - Jan 2019

Vale of Glamorgan
3,631 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Porky55
Some cruise lines hire out tuxes on board - does Cunard and in particular QM2?

Details are in post 13 earlier in this thread

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
49 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by yfrank
We am looking at several B to B cruises on Queen Victoria in April 2018. I am concern about the dress code for men. I will have a dark suite for formal, a sports jacket for informal nights. Would a black leather jacket be OK also for non formal nights also as I would use it when flying as luggage will be at a premium?
No a black leather jacket would look very out of place on informal nights - informal means jacket as in a blazer, suit jacket or sports coat and many men will where a tie also. Hope you enjoy your first Cunard cruise.
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,342 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Happyholidayer
Are men expected to wear a jacket for embarkation.
No, they are not but some do as they consider it as normal day attire

During the day

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).
see
https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code
Vale of Glamorgan
3,631 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Happyholidayer
Thanks is it exceptable for men to wear denim jeans for embarkation. We know not after 6 p.m.
Yes, it's fine, the dress code only applies after 6pm

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
126 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Last week there was a lovely lady in the QG wearing an evening gown with train and a tiara. She was a tall lady. She rocked it. Heads turned in a good way. She looked fabulous.
England
29 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by Host Hattie
Yes, it's fine, the dress code only applies after 6pm

It's all a bit confusing ...
We did a ship visit to Queen Elizabeth earlier in the year,
One of the requirements for the visit was no jeans for lunch as dinning would be in the Britannia restaurant. Does this mean then men should not wear jeans lunch time when dinning in Britannia on their cruise.