Oceania vs. Royal

Hey everyone,

I just returned from my 1st experience on the Oceania in French Polynesia, a top 3 cruise of all time thus far. The itinerary itself is unreal, superb ports, and should not be missed by any cruise fanatic... 10 times better than Hawaii.

I sailed on the the Marina which is 66,000 tons and carries about 1200 passengers... basically a Vision Class ship with approx. 50% less passengers. Oceania is known for the best food at sea, country club casual dress (zero formal), and your choice of all-inclusive or a la carte purchases. I began this cruise with the highest of expectations in order to compare with my RCL experiences. Is the grass truly greener on the other side?

Food:

• Marina's buffet is equal to and in many cases better than Royal's Specialty Venues.... this is not a typo.... yes buffet better than Royal's specialty. Grilled lobster & crab nightly. The very best quality and presentation. Not self service at the buffet... they serve you.
  • Marina's MDR is also equal to Royal's Specialty... The venison I had they could've served at CP150 on Oasis and I would not have known the difference.
  • Marina's Specialty outclasses anything I have ever experienced during my 291 sea days with Royal... all specialty is free of charge on Oceania plus my 32oz Porterhouse at Polo Grill (their Chop's) was also free (no upcharge like on Royal).

Service:

"ex-emp-la-ry"

serving as a desirable model; representing the best of its kind.

synonyms:perfect, ideal, model, faultless, flawless, impeccable, irreproachable;

• Everything/everyone/every personal transaction I had with staff was exemplary, I was ignorant being so used to how RCL was that I had no idea how good it could (should?) be.
  • I never.... ever... witnessed a line-up at guest services.

The ship itself:

• The entire ship is one big Concierge Lounge, something most of you on this forum would be interested in
  • Superb design, much higher end finishes & furnishings in common areas than Royal, just gorgeous.
  • On the outside Marina looks much like a Royal ship with sleek lines, albeit without the trademark Viking Crown.
  • Inside the ship I felt at home in just one day.... very easy to get around and find everything... again like a Vision Class ship with easy flow.

Cabins:

I had the opportunity to visit an interior as well as one of the coveted front facing 650sf/150sf wrap-around balcony Vista Class suites... much nicer than Royal. The bedding, linens, lighting, furnishings.... everything upper end that you would find in a fine 5-star hotel.

Entertainment:

Surprisingly decent! The main theatre stage was very small and thus the Broadway shows were limited, but I have say that the two top female singers were as good and better than most on RCL. Most of the entertainment staff are both singers and dancers, thus double duty. If they were on a Royal stage you could not tell the difference. Evenings consisted of string quartet (absolutely top notch, better than anything on Royal) or piano man (aka Centrum or Schooner Bar) before dinner, and the house band played up at the Horizon's Lounge each night (just like the Viking Crown on Vision or Radiance) with dancing. I was never bored, especially for this port intensive itinerary.

Demographic:

Average age somewhere around 55-60. NOT A SINGLE PERSON anywhere at any time wearing tattered jeans or "Walmart" $2.99 t-shirts anywhere. Country Club casual was just that... clean, easy, well dressed and smart looking.

Bottom line - I still love Royal. I know what I am buying on Royal, a mass market non-luxury line that has changed their target market to be affordable for the masses (aka. families, kids, etc). This sailing was exactly what "experienced cruisers" have posted that they miss from yesteryear with zero of the issues constantly complained about on this forum.

Bottom line #2 - Very high expectations were met... I give this ship/cruise line a 10/10. I will 100% sail with them again.

Any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer. Other than that I have a bazillion photos to go through so I can start a review on the Oceania board. I'll update on this thread when it's up for those of you wanting to follow.

Edited by Hoopster95

We had an Oceania cruise booked for May of this year but ended up cancelling when I heard that the Internet service can be "iffy." I teach online and need to at least check in a few times a day. We had a very good deal and have heard great things about Oceania.

I totally agree with the OP. We sailed a TA on the Insignia several years ago and it is far an above anything RCCL has to offer. But, you do pay for the advantage and it's really like apples and oranges.

If you price shop you can find a decent price on Oceania. We did the Barbados - France TA for $1900 pp. It was a re-positioning and she was going to dry dock in France. My TA said not a lot of people like to do those types of cruises.

With only 175 pax aboard everybody was upgraded and we ended up with a penthouse suite and a butler. They closed three decks since nobody was in those cabins.

I would do that cruise again in a NY minutes. It was like being on your own private yacht.

I know people that cruise Oceana & love it & I have thought of trying them but I worry there's not much night time entertainment. We don't go to the shows, we like the Piano bar, Karaoke & the late night dance parties (I'm 49 hubby is 57) I don't think of us as old. Royal for sure keeps us happy in the entertainment but would love a cruise with really good food I don't have to pay extra for.

What is the average cost difference between the two lines?

Whatever you do, don't compare just cabin prices. Oceania's regular "O Life" fares include airfare (or credit), unlimited internet, all non-alcoholic beverages, all specialty restaurants (no limit on visits) and a choice of booze, excursions or OBC amenities. Top selling Oceania TAs (Connoisseurs Club) usually add gratuities and additional refundable OBC. To the RCI non-inclusive cabin price, add those required/optional costs and then compare. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Then, consider the quality differences favoring Oceania: a served "buffet" (al fresco weather permitting) with many dishes (lobster, steaks, etc) prepared "a la minute," heavenly bedding/linens and Bulgari toiletries, highly restrictive smoking policies, And NO photogs/incessant announcements/art auctions/nickel-diming/thundering herds/"prom nights"....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is the average cost difference between the two lines?

As Flatbush Flyer 100% correctly said, be sure to compare apples with apples....

Posted over a month ago:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=55353776#post55353776

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=55352164#post55352164

Regarding internet, yes very slow.

Oceania just announced an internet upgrade and free for all cruisers... I forget the launch date

I have been looking at this very itinerary for about a year now, so thank you for the review. I think I will take the plunge and book it even if I am under the average age.

Do LOTS of homework! Flights to and from Tahiti are very difficult to organize and expensive. The Oceania airfare included is normally the way to go as their bulk rates seem to kick the retail rates out of the water, but I was lucky finding my own flights at equal prices so that I can stay on land before and after the cruise.

Remember, islands like Marquesas have 4000 permanent residents.... there were several highly uninformed cruisers stepping out onto the pier from a 1000 passenger ship expecting taxis and tons of options waiting for them like they have seen hundreds of times in Cozumel or Nassau. If you don't prebook tours months (sometimes a year( ahead of time with others from your roll call you may truly end up with nothing other than walking around aimlessly in the immediate area.

Oceania Category Cabins, I dodn't get it. Can you explain the differences between A1-A4 and the B1-B4's

Both sets of Cabins seem to be the same size but they are calling one Concierge Veranda and one just Veranda's ?

Jimbo:)

CoConcierge Veranda

ncierge Veranda

I was on Oceania Nautica four years ago and was in a Penthouse Suite.

I found the average age on the ship was 70 and although the food was excellent, there was no one awake after 10 p.m. My husband and I were the only ones in a bar at that time.

Luckily it was a Mediterranean cruise and therefore port intensive.

The newer Oceania ships are larger but the R Oceania ship's cabins are very small.

To each their own, but I guess I am more of a Celebrity/Royal Caribbean person, but I would like to try Regent.

Oceania Category Cabins, I dodn't get it. Can you explain the differences between A1-A4 and the B1-B4's

Both sets of Cabins seem to be the same size but they are calling one Concierge Veranda and one just Veranda's ?

Jimbo:)

CoConcierge Veranda

ncierge Veranda

A & B are exactly the same. The Concierge A gets a few perks that come with a higher fare (including some laundry, earlier pre-cruise specialty restaurant reservations, hot (vs continental) room service breakfast, et al.). IMO, A (Concierge) is not worth the extra $.

Also, on the "O" ships (Marina and Riviera), some of the B3 cabins have the very desirable "extended balconies" that allow loungers plus chairs. There are no extended balconies in the A category.

On the subject of age demographics, Oceania varies significantly from cruise to cruise. Shorter 10-18 day itineraries are popular with college alumni associations and summer cruises to the Med and Alaska find an increased number of families aboard.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Oceania vs Royal? I would be more interested in a comparison between Oceania and Cunard.

Not even close. The food quality alone puts Oceania far ahead in terms of value and other measures. Remember too that O is always "country club casual" and all passengers have "no extra cost" access to specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

I did some research last year. It was for a smaller R class.

Someone mentioned free specialty restaurants (unlimited). However, when I was researching, I found out you are entitled to two, and after that suites have first dibs, so you may or may not get more. Although the food in the restaurant is excellent.

Tables for two are very close together.

And drinks! On the cruise I was looking at I was posting," why would I get the drink package vs. $800 obc." I was told that the $800 would go very fast. Drinks are quite small and expensive .... $25. Wine pours are tiny.

I really like more to do at night than they offer.

Edited by mafig

I have sailed on Marina several times and agree with OP’s evaluation.

HOWEVER I will not sail with them again. In Autumn 2015 Marina did a run from Lisbon to Capetown to Rio. AFTER FINAL PAYMENT the company eliminated over 30 hours of port time. The ship did not have mechanical issues, they were just sailing slower to save fuel. They did the same thing to multiple cruises. I know that changes to sailing are legal under standard marine contract, but I found the action unethical. I don’t continue to do business with someone who uses legal loopholes to defraud me.

My end of cruise rating was 10/10 for food, 10/10 for service and 0/10 for probability of returning. Buyer beware.

Hoopster95,

Nice informative writeup! I agree with you 100%. We have sailed on Oceania's Marina also. We have done RCL, Celebrity, Azamara, Princess, HAL, and Disney (for the little ones especially). Oceania was definitely a cut above in every way.