Holland or Cunard: 14 day Transatlantic?

gkbiiii

I have done eight Transatlantic crossings, yet have never tried either Holland or Cunard. I have done one NCL and seven RCL crossings: these include some exotics, such as Brazil to Portugal and Palma to Colon.

My question is this: I am currently looking at two cruises next month, both from Fort Lauderdale to either Southampton or Rome. Both would be basic outside cabins and for fourteen nights.

1. Holland America Koningsdam---March 28, 2018. $700

2. Cunard Queen Victoria---March 9, 2018. $975

Though it costs more, based on my reading of Holland's continual cutbacks, I am leaning toward Cunard. My question is, which would you all choose, what are your general thoughts and comments therein?

We have sailed on both Koningsdam (transatlantic ,too) and on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth - a sister ship to Queen Victoria. Both are beautiful ships and well worth a cruise - but in my opinion it depends what you are looking for. Cunard definitely is more formal, especially on longer voyages - if you don't want to eat dinner in the buffet or in your room or walk through the ship after 6 p.m. you MUST wear a jacket as a male human being, for example. Otherwise, she's really beautiful, with lots of wood and tasteful furnishings, a great library, even a bookshop on board, a British pub, excellent afternoon tea. Staterooms are a bit basic compared to Koningsdam, especially the bathrooms and the food can be a bit bland if you don't sail in suites ( which we don't , much too formal on Cunard ships :cool:); there is no free dining either ( you get an assigned dining time). Service is all right but much more laid-back, not that easy familiarity and friendliness you are used to on HAL. Oh yes, and there is a real promenade deck....

We quite like Cunard but only for one of the shorter cruises up to 14 nights - otherwise DH will balk at having to wear a jacket - with or without tie - or suit every night...

The Koningsdam is more modern , we liked her very much even if we missed the promenade and the library. The staterooms are lovely, and we liked the quality of the food, especially in the Food Court ( buffet) and the Dutch Café with ( complimentary) lovely Dutch food. Service was excellent, as were the specialty restaurants.

It is a difficult decision for sure, it really depends on what kind of cruise experience you like. Have you checked the prices again? Right now HAL runs a promo (View and Verandah) with special prices ( obstructed balcony for the price of an outside) and 500 US-$ Onboard-Credit. I think the prices are quite o.k. for a transatlantic.

Have you compared the port stops, as well? Cunard for sure has the more northerly route to Southampton and is earlier in March( chance of stormy weather is higher!), Koningsdam has some port stops on the Azores as well as in Spain.

Happy deciding - and whatever you choose: Enjoy!

They are both great deals - but since part of the point of crossing the Atlantic is getting to the other side and then spending some time there. I would far prefer Rome in the early Spring to the UK - so I would go with HAL. While Cunard gives you Charleston and the Azores, HAL gives the Azores and a couple of stops in Spain - confirming the preferability of that itinerary.

Two weeks without a good promenade? I wouldn't choose that. No chance.

It eludes me how wearing a jacket/sport coat becomes a big deal.

You could equate it to how some of us don't get the promenade being the deal-breaker.

Cunard. As Scrapnana says, the daytime lecturers are excellent. More daytime activities than on HAL. The CD has a staff, not just an assistant. More live musicians, even compared to the HAL Music walk. But HAL's Lincoln Center is better than Cunard's classical quartet.

We love the formal nights. That may be the biggest difference for many people. Nearly everyone dresses up for dinner, and people do not go back to their cabins to change after dinner. The whole ships stays formal on formal nights. Yeah, yeah, what other people wear shouldn't matter, but there's an elegance to formal nights on Cunard that we love. If you don't like the formal thing, definitely do the HAL crossing.

You could equate it to how some of us don't get the promenade being the deal-breaker.

Hmm, the ability to take a walk seeing, hearing the ocean's majesty on every side, an experience possible nowhere on earth but certain ships...

Versus... slipping into a jacket in the evening.

Sorry, I cannot equate it.

Hmm, the ability to take a walk seeing, hearing the ocean's majesty on every side, an experience possible nowhere on earth but certain ships...

Versus... slipping into a jacket in the evening.

Sorry, I cannot equate it.

Koningsdam has a full walk around promenade. It is narrower than previous and parts have lifeboats just above eye level-you can still see the water. If you search YouTube for Koningsdam Promenade the first video should be a full walk around.

The biggest complaint is that the teak loungers are gone due to narrower promenade.

The change on Koningsdam brought indoor safety drills and in a real emergency crew are able to manage emergency equipment without juggling lounge chairs.

You can still walk completely around the promenade on any HAL ship.

We have taken several TA including several to Northern Europe, although none of them have been on Cunard. I do not know where the Cunard ship stops. Our experience is that the weather has been great until the Azores. Once the ship heads north, the weather becomes cooler and with more rain. This year we are on the Koningsdam leaving FLL on March 28 for Rome. We will work our way north and will be in the UK by early May.

Does either line, have any type of drink packages and are the drinks reasonably priced?

Also I should note, living in Miami Beach, there are many Holland cruises from Florida, but few Cunard. Price wise, I have never seen a $975 fare for Cunard, on a 14 crossing, but I do see deals on Holland often.

Edited by gkbiiii

I have not been on Cunard, and have done 1 TA on HAL, but on the Eurodam. I couldn't do a cruise without a promenade. I did a southerly route in early November, and the weather was amazing! High 70s and low 80s the whole time, and the sea was so calm it was like it had been ironed. I am madly in love with Spain and the ports I have been to there. I went early to Barcelona and had a super time exploring the city and outlying area. I had such a great time I am doing another TA this year. Also, I stayed in the Azores for 11 days last year, and they are a wonderful place. I am going there for a week in a month! No question which one I would be picking!

The Queen Victoria is beautiful and since we were on her last year she has has a big renovation. The cabins were lovely and easily nicer than HAL. The bathrooms are granite and gorgeous, better than my last signature suite, haven’t been on Koningsdam but have read complaints about bathroom size. She has a great promenade and library. The afternoon cream teas are great with live music. The buffet is awesome, but MDR on HAL is better IMO.

The Queen Victoria is beautiful and since we were on her last year she has has a big renovation. The cabins were lovely and easily nicer than HAL. The bathrooms are granite and gorgeous, better than my last signature suite, haven’t been on Koningsdam but have read complaints about bathroom size. She has a great promenade and library. The afternoon cream teas are great with live music. The buffet is awesome, but MDR on HAL is better IMO.

Agree about MDR on HAL ... and not only on HAL vs Cunard.

In some reason MDR food quality isn’t Cunard’s strong point. At least in Britannia. Everything else we liked better on Cunard

I have done eight Transatlantic crossings, yet have never tried either Holland or Cunard. I have done one NCL and seven RCL crossings: these include some exotics, such as Brazil to Portugal and Palma to Colon.

My question is this: I am currently looking at two cruises next month, both from Fort Lauderdale to either Southampton or Rome. Both would be basic outside cabins and for fourteen nights.

1. Holland America Koningsdam---March 28, 2018. $700

2. Cunard Queen Victoria---March 9, 2018. $975

Though it costs more, based on my reading of Holland's continual cutbacks, I am leaning toward Cunard. My question is, which would you all choose, what are your general thoughts and comments therein?

Both choices are several levels above NCL in every category. Cunard is the most formal though much less than ten years ago. HAL is sliding towards the casual. Also, if you fancy a proper afternoon tea it is Cunard in the Queens room VS. HAL in the main dining room. Dancing on Cunard is the very best. HAL if you like to pack it in before midnight. Cunard offers a seriously fun disco after the ballroom is done and at the age of 77 we closed it several nights at 3 am.

Are the “classes” obvious on Cunard? Is it noticeably snobby?

I refer to the Grill group...inform me, please.

I would take Cunard just to find out.

On today's Cunard ships the vast majority of Grill passengers are folks trying out a style they never experience at home. So you have many sitting around looking to see who really belongs and who is "trying" And those are the ones who can on occasion be snobs. The real grill passengers know it is not polite to be that way.

Are the “classes” obvious on Cunard? Is it noticeably snobby?

I refer to the Grill group...inform me, please.

I would take Cunard just to find out.

We didn’t find it obvious, other than I think the food reflects the class. People did ask if you were in the grills? Found very interesting passengers.

Only strange thing is decks off limits if you were only in a balcony.

The change on Koningsdam brought indoor safety drills and in a real emergency crew are able to manage emergency equipment without juggling lounge chairs.
For what it's worth, the safety drills (and the real muster stations) on Queen Elizabeth and the other Cunard ships are all inside.

If you can get an outside stateroom on QV for $975 for 14 days I'd jump at it.

Only strange thing is decks off limits if you were only in a balcony.

You will find the same on NCL Haven or MSC Yacht Club. Some lines are trying to woo the high ticket passengers that woud normally sail Seabourn, Silversea, etc by adding additional amenities to their suites. The "ship within a ship" offers suites for less than the price of a top suite on the "luxury" lines.

You will find the same on NCL Haven or MSC Yacht Club. Some lines are trying to woo the high ticket passengers that woud normally sail Seabourn, Silversea, etc by adding additional amenities to their suites. The "ship within a ship" offers suites for less than the price of a top suite on the "luxury" lines.

Or HAL Neptune suites.

Roy