Is it worth getting a bargain price on a cruise that's a theme cruise?

Velvetwater

I watch a lot of cruise blogs/vlogs and there seems to be a number of cruisers that get last minute amazing deals on theme cruises through their travel contacts or word of mouth. Some of these cruises seem to be sold at £200 pp ($277) for 7 days!

These range from NASCAR cruises to Pagans to a particular sport or team...the usual stuff.

I am not flexible with my dates but if I was I would certainly pay a bargain price to cruise for cheap on a theme cruise as after all I am there for the ocean and the ports.

What does everyone else think?

I avoid theme cruises. These will have many rabid fans of whatever the theme is, with swarms of them all over the ship, and with scheduled activities that often close some of the better areas of the ship for their exclusive use. Not really my thing, no matter how much of a bargain it is.

I watch a lot of cruise blogs/vlogs and there seems to be a number of cruisers that get last minute amazing deals on theme cruises through their travel contacts or word of mouth. Some of these cruises seem to be sold at £200 pp ($277) for 7 days!

These range from NASCAR cruises to Pagans to a particular sport or team...the usual stuff.

I am not flexible with my dates but if I was I would certainly pay a bargain price to cruise for cheap on a theme cruise as after all I am there for the ocean and the ports.

What does everyone else think?

I think it probably depends on what the theme is. If it's a music theme (Jazz, Rock & Roll, Country & Western, etc.) and there will be well known musicians performing, I doubt that you'll see any last minute deals. Music themed cruises are very popular and tend to sell out quickly. On the other hand, if it's a theme that's not always a big seller, it's possible that there could be some last minute deals available. For most people that book a theme cruise, the theme is the primary interest. The itinerary is secondary. Theme cruises typically cost more than standard cruises. If your primary reason for cruising is the ocean and the itinerary, then why not just book a regular cruise?

For most people that book a theme cruise, the theme is the primary interest. The itinerary is secondary. Theme cruises typically cost more than standard cruises. If your primary reason for cruising is the ocean and the itinerary, then why not just book a regular cruise?

I not sure you understood my original post.

If you book on a "theme" cruise, but are not part of that group (and I mean you don't book thru the sponsoring agency), you will not get any of the benefits of that group, and may have some areas closed to you at times. That said, if you don't care about whatever group/theme it might be, you probably will get a good bargain. Just know going in that you may not have full use of every venue all the time.

I wouldn’t unless it was a theme I was actually interested in

A. If you are flexible enough for last minute bookings there are plenty of non-theme options.

B. It wouldn’t be the normal cruise experience. The shoes would be different, the dining may be different, all the onboard activities would be different. You’d have to pay me to spend 7 days cooped up with certain types of music or hobbies.

C. Be careful on how far you would go on this. For example I know that there’s a nudist group that charters cruise ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A. If you are flexible enough for last minute bookings there are plenty of non-theme options.

B. It wouldn’t be the normal cruise experience. The shoes would be different, the dining may be different, all the onboard activities would be different. You’d have to pay me to spend 7 days cooped up with certain types of music or hobbies.

C. Be careful on how far you would go on this. For example I know that there’s a nudist group that charters cruise ships.

Is "C" why you bring up shoes in "B"? I thought towels were more stereotypical. ;)

Chartered cruises are different from theme cruises. A chartered cruise, like a nudist cruise, isn't something you could book without knowing who is chartering it. It isn't some secret that you would stumble upon by accident.

I guess I would consider:

--How big is the group

--How big is the savings

--How disruptive will the group be. For instance will you preferred dining be disruptive or unavailable. Will some shows be unavailable to you. Will tendering be more difficult than usual. Will the group take over the pool(s)

I don't think I'd mind if the deal were really good. We haven't seen many theme cruises advertised for Princess ships, and that's the cruise line we sail most often.

I didn't see a break in price on my 'theme' cruise. It's this October out of LA. :(

Dear Velvet, I think you should go for these amazing deals!

Which cruise blogs/vlogs give you information about amazing deals through their travel contacts?

Kindly specify exactly which ships, departure dates and how to find these amazing deals. Thanks.

"Holistic Holiday at Sea" have 2000 vegans on a 11 night cruise. This and next Year on MSC Divina.

To each his/her own but any carnivores who sign on will find their dining choices limited as the menus will be built around a vegan lifestyle. This is an example where one has to weigh a good price versus how the theme will affect their enjoyment of the voyage.

To each his/her own but any carnivores who sign on will find their dining choices limited as the menus will be built around a vegan lifestyle. This is an example where one has to weigh a good price versus how the theme will affect their enjoyment of the voyage.

The biggest problem is that MSC doesn't inform other guest about the BIG group!

In this case other guests pay the full price for the cruise, no discount.

I know that this isn't what the OP asked about.

To answer the OP. I might consider to book a very cheap cruise on a theme cruise if I lived close to the port and it was a last minute booking. Otherwise, no.