Luggage

frosstty

Hi, my wife and I are taking our first cruise this coming may and have heard that when they collect your luggage as you board, they then leave it outside your cabin. And when you are finished and arrive back at your port, they want it left outside your cabin the night before. Is this true and has anyone had a problem with loss doing this? I am a little uncomfortable doing it this way.

In general, porters on the dock collect your large bags that are clearly labeled with your name and cabin number. The porters are not cruise line employees and it is customary (but not required) to give them a tip. From the medium to large to super size ships they can be moving thousands of bags in just a few hours. Typically, the bags are delivered to your cabin efficiently and safely. Once in a very rare while a bag will go astray. Usually it's a labeling problem and the bag is found in time for sailing. Of course, someone, at some time has had a bag disappear forever. That doesn't stop us from letting the porters handle the bags. Imagine the chaos if many people decided to schlep their own large bags -- the ship would never sail on time.

If you can pack everything in what the airlines would consider carry-on size, you can maintain control of your own bags throughout the entire cruise. Otherwise, do everyone a favor and let the porters do their job.

I don’t know what cruise line you are sailing on, but at the end of your cruise, you will probably have the option of not putting your bags outside the door the night before disembark. There is an option of carrying the bags off the ship on your own when you leave. In my opinion, it’s a hassle, but it is an option with many, possibly....all cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is not all that different from flying. You turn your bags over at some point, and they arrive at another point...in most cases, ashore, where you have to go through Immigration and Customs. Many cruise lines have arrangements where you don't see your bag on the pier, rather it gets transported all the way to your home airport before you see it again.

Relax...it works fine.

We always drop our bags with the porters and have never had a problem.

At the end of the cruise, many lines now will offer to check your bag(s) to your home airport if you are flying. You put your bags out side your cabin the last evening and see them on the baggage carousel in your home airport

I understand that this is a concern but consider the thousands of cruisers that do this every week without incidence. We do choose to pack lightly, allowing us to keep our luggage with us - just a preference. On occasion you will read a post of missing belongings - before assuming it was theft, I have twice found belongings left in the safe which we turned into Customer Service. We love cruising and hope you have the opportunity to enjoy it as well.

On most cruise lines when you turn the bags over to the porter when you see them again they will be inside your room.

On the night before the cruise you put them out and you will see them when you get off the ship.

Be sure to take carry ons with you and do not put any valuables or medicines in bags that you hand to the porters or you leave outside your room.

While someone could break them open we do put locks on our luggage.

Keith

I forgot to say this and it probably goes without saying, don’t pack anything in your bag you would be heartbroken to loose. Jewelry stays in my purse. People on medication bring those in their carry on also.

Also your passports!

Really, there's little time for anything to be taken, and all the areas especially the corridors are covered by CCTV. Once they're in the storage areas, I shouldn't think anyone will be allowed to enter, then in the morning they're loaded off and straight into the arrivals hall, which has officials standing round, and the customs officers will be watching for any skullduggery... :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you fly, the scanners for taking your carry-ons, etc., are that size. Thus you can not carry on large suitcases yourself. Just like at the airport, the suitcases you turn over to the porters are taken inside a special terminal where there are scanners. Then they are placed on large crates and lifted onto the ship into a special cargo hold. The crates are emptied and crew sort the luggage and go it to your cabin.

Some cruise lines have the stewards place the luggage in your cabin while others place the luggage near your cabin door.

Some time before the end of the cruise, you will be given a form to complete asking for your disembarkation plans. You can either place your luggage outside your cabin door by a designated time or you can carry off your own luggage yourself (without any assistance from crew).

We have never had a piece of luggage disappear.

simply the equivalent of checking your bags with the airlines IMO

Yes, night b4 on the end of the trip seems a bit inconvenient but ya gotta give 'em time to move bags for THOUSANDS of folks versus a couple of hundred on an airplane

doing all carry on/off is an option

I've cruised since 1967- never lost a bag. The process works very well!

As has been said, do have a carry-on bag for your medications, jewelry, electronics & your cruise line tickets & airline tickets and anything else of value.

On the last morning, you'll need to pack your PJs, toothbrushes, etc. in the carry on too.

Enjoy your cruise -- but beware: it's addictive! :cool:

And do you really worry about your luggage on the way home? This is why you have insurance either from your credit card or purchased for the trip. Never had a problem and we're in our early 70s.

Use a luggage "LOCK" if for nothing else to give you peace of mind and to keep anyone from easily opening your luggage....not that their going to...all the advice above is spot on.

Enjoy your traveling...and don't worry so much it will all work out fine.

Hi, my wife and I are taking our first cruise this coming may and have heard that when they collect your luggage as you board, they then leave it outside your cabin. And when you are finished and arrive back at your port, they want it left outside your cabin the night before. Is this true and has anyone had a problem with loss doing this? I am a little uncomfortable doing it this way.

Generally the Cabin Steward will knock on your door and if you are there they will put your luggage in the cabin.

As far as putting it out the night before I normally ask the Steward what time the luggage will be picked up and I will leave the luggage outside a few minutes before.

Just diverting the thread slightly.

Don't forget you need to tip porters who take your bags prior to embarkation.

We have never had a problem, but there is a thread currently that porters in Port Everglades are demanding large tips...be aware so it doesn't spoil your holiday.

We tip a few dollars a bag, and have never had a problem, as I said earlier.

I am also a little uncomfortable with this system despite my suitcase being a beast. I know people say its rare but I have seen it happen on international trains and the like.

I lock my luggage and have all my medical stuff, financial stuff,make up, GHDs, electronics and a few days of clothes in my carry on just in the worst should happen.

As soon as the call for cabins sounds go straight there and if you boarded early theres a chance your bag will be...if not just keep checking. Also check the whole corridor as we have found crew sometimes put luggage by floor before wheeling it to separate rooms.

We also carry our own luggage off the ship. Its actually less hassle as you can go when you want.