HAL Passenger Beware

DEdwards25

My wife and I retired earlier this year and to celebrate, we booked a 2-week Panama Canal cruise on the Oosterdam, departing San Diego on 10/21/2017. We have always booked Neptune Suites on HAL because we appreciate the extra space. This cruise would’ve put us into the 3-Star Mariner category, which provides additional privileges. My wife of 41-years was diagnosed with breast cancer 5-years ago and 2-weeks before the cruise, something totally ununforeseen by either us, or her treating physicians happened and she was hospitalized, spent 1 week in ICU, then 4-days in hospice and passed away...it was the worse day of my life. No, we didn’t purchase the cancelation insurance because there was no reason to believe we would have a issue because my wife’s chemo treatments were scheduled around the trip. After she passed away, I contacted our travel agent and asked her to plead my case with HAL because of the circumstances and also my long term association with HAL. Not good enough. Out of the $13K spent, i got back the taxes and the beverage and specialty dining package we purchased. HAL didn’t even offer a partial credit, you should be ashamed.

I disagree. HAL has nothing to be ashamed about. That's how all the travel companies work. If you cancel your trip and have no insurance, you lose. If you want to place blame, place it on yourself. You didn't buy insurance because you "knew" you wouldn't need it.

That said, my condolences on your loss.

I am very sorry to hear of your wife's passing, it must be very difficult for you and your family.

I am a bit surprised of HAL's lack of response to your situation, as I have experienced very good responses from them it a variety of situations, all of which were less serious than yours. They do generally seem to be very caring and helpful people.

The fact that you did not purchase insurance may represent a "sticky" situation for HAL, since it may pose problems with their insurance company if word got out that HAL was refunding money for cancelled cruises to people who did not have insurance.

The fact that you went through your TA to HAL may have been your problem. I would contact HAL directly through their Guest Relations Department and explain the situation, I bet that HAL will come through with something for you (it could be related to a future cruise as they tend not to send cash back to people).

I would WRITE them a letter, rather than calling or emailing. It tends to get a better response I have found.

Try this address:

Holland America Line Guest Relations

450 Third Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

I am sorry for your wife's passing.

However, I disagree with your opinion on HAL. You must understand how insurance works. Your choice not to insure is your responsibility, and HAL is under no responsibility to refund any money to you. You insure what you can't afford to lose. Situations like this have occurred before, and have been discussed here. Agreeing to refund you would open up the possibility of people demanding reimbursement for other issues, and more seriously, people requesting refunds fraudulently.

We started insuring our trips as we (and the family that occasionally travels with us) have aged, and time takes its toll.

Very sorry for your loss.

My friend who was to travel with us had a cancer diagnosis, unexpectedly. She got all her money back on her HAL cruise not because of HAL, but because of an unknown benefit she had on her credit card. Check the credit card that you used and see if there is travel insurance as a benefit of using the card. She called her credit card company and explained the situation and found out she was covered. She's the second person I know that unexpectedly had to cancel, didn't have insurance, and had this benefit on her credit card. Just a thought.

After she passed away, I contacted our travel agent and asked her to plead my case with HAL because of the circumstances and also my long term association with HAL. Not good enough. Out of the $13K spent, i got back the taxes and the beverage and specialty dining package we purchased. HAL didn’t even offer a partial credit, you should be ashamed.
I would write a letter to Ashford's office and make them turn you down in writing. I'd also check your credit card benefits. You may very well have travel insurance included in your card benefits.

I wonder if it would have made any difference if you had booked through HAL's personal cruise consultants rather than a private travel agent? I would not expect a refund but perhaps the PCC could have offered credit towards a future cruise.

igraf

.. After she passed away, I contacted our travel agent and asked her to plead my case with HAL because of the circumstances and also my long term association with HAL. Not good enough. Out of the $13K spent, i got back the taxes and the beverage and specialty dining package we purchased. HAL didn’t even offer a partial credit, you should be ashamed.

Welcome to CC. and condolences for your loss. I can't imagine your grief.

About the cruise fare....did you book it with a VISA, MC, Amex, etc??

If yes, please explore if your credit card has 'free' insurance that would cover part or all of your cruise fare for trip cancellation/interruption if you used it to pay for your trip. It is not uncommon but it is often overlooked.

My wife and I retired earlier this year and to celebrate, we booked a 2-week Panama Canal cruise on the Oosterdam, departing San Diego on 10/21/2017. We have always booked Neptune Suites on HAL because we appreciate the extra space. This cruise would’ve put us into the 3-Star Mariner category, which provides additional privileges. My wife of 41-years was diagnosed with breast cancer 5-years ago and 2-weeks before the cruise, something totally ununforeseen by either us, or her treating physicians happened and she was hospitalized, spent 1 week in ICU, then 4-days in hospice and passed away...it was the worse day of my life. No, we didn’t purchase the cancelation insurance because there was no reason to believe we would have a issue because my wife’s chemo treatments were scheduled around the trip. After she passed away, I contacted our travel agent and asked her to plead my case with HAL because of the circumstances and also my long term association with HAL. Not good enough. Out of the $13K spent, i got back the taxes and the beverage and specialty dining package we purchased. HAL didn’t even offer a partial credit, you should be ashamed.

I am so sorry for your loss, that's got to be so hard.

It's a lesson for those of us reading, life throws curve balls and cancer treatments have some of the worst ones. We did travel insurance on our upcoming cruise because of my diagnosis. I'll be about a year and a half from my cancer treatment ending, but am concerned about it coming back.

I hope HAL can do something for you. It's a sticky situation for them, they need to be fair to all, but also have some compassion.

I am so sorry for your unimaginable and unexpected loss of your wife.

Like others, I would check the credit card you used and see if there would be any refund.

As we have aged we always buy the HAL cancel for any reason. It's expensive when you have an expensive cruise planned like you did but for us, it's worth the peace of mind.

I would also write a letter and ask if your suite was re-booked perhaps a partial refund might be possible.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am very sorry for your loss and know the pain of losing a much loved spouse. May you find peace in your memorries and learn he best way forward for you now.

However, I agree with those who say HAL has no o bligation to credit. . None of us would buy insurance if we knew they and other cruise lines would grant our requests for refunds. There are so many very sad stories and circumstances each year with so many pax. A company has to have a policy and live within it. iMO They sell insurance and likely make a fair amount of money from those sales.

If HAL was able to re-book your suite in the remaining time (it's possible someone was on a waiting list) they should have refunded you the difference.

That is not the way that contracts work. No, HAL was under no duty, legal or otherwise, to refund the money. That is the purpose of cancellation insurance.

My condolences for your loss.

I believe the cruise line handled the situation properly and appropriately. What you expected is something that they sell insurance for: Death of a passenger is one of the specified, covered causes. It would make no sense to provide the benefits of that insurance to those who didn't purchase it, and doing so would be disrespectful to those whose partner passes away prior to their cruise and who therefore invoke that coverage that they paid for.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I am very sorry for your loss.

IIRC there was an earlier post this year of HAL refunding someone who had not bought insurance due to a death.

We too lost a family member this year but had purchased insurance. So we had a refund from HAL. We found some airlines incredible In how they accommodated us. Thank you West Jet and Hawaiian. That type of good will cannot be bought.

So although I agree that they do not have to refund you, I think it would be worth a follow up letter. It seems to me they are following a much harder line lately. But hopefully there will be some compassion shown.

I am very sorry for your loss. I can imagine what you are going through, and hope you find peace.

However, I disagree that HAL should have done anything to reimburse you for the cruise you were unable to take. More than many of us, you were aware of the uncertainty of life, and chose not to insure your trip. You knew you were taking your chances, and made the decision to pass on the potential for reimbursement.

I hope warm memories of your life with your wife will soon overtake the grief.

We are truly sorry for the OP;s loss. However, we see no reason why HAL (or any cruise line) should offer any type of refund in this type of case. Most cruisers are well aware of the trip insurance options and we all make our own CHOICE whether we want to purchase insurance protection...or self-insure (take our chances). In a sense you roll the dice and make your decision. Personally, we have been on far more then 100 cruises and do not ever buy cancellation insurance as we choose to self-insure that risk. As of this date we are ahead of the game by more then $100,000 which is the money we have saved by NOT buying cancellation protection. If, God forbid, something does horribly wrong we might well have to eat the cost of a cruise...but that is simply the price we pay for the choice we made.

I do not understand posters that want to blame the cruise line's for their own decisions.

Hank