Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

When I saw the photo of the trees.... those leaves/blades looked like some ancient weapon they would make on "Forged in Fire". Not sure you are familiar with the show (a favorite of my husband... I just happen to be in the room), but as one of the judges would say "This blade will kill" :D:D

I feel those trees & blades are made of heavy steel and they will not bend, break or move 1/8 of an inch.

I love the general design of the Edge but every time I see those uneven back windows!

Is there a reason as to why they are lopsided?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

it's designed after the fibonacci sequence. this is what gives it its "uneven" appearance - it's all in the spiral ramp.

Maybe that is a temporary cover for shade when the ship is in port? If that is permanent then it will be very noisy with the wind while the ship is sailing I would imagine.

I'm surprised to think the Top is just a (potentially flimsy) Canopy. Not what I ever imagined for this Iconic feature.

I’m visiting the shipyard today to see some MSC ships and got a close-up look of Edge. She’s looking great! Can’t wait to get on board!

These are great pictures - do you have to be in the shipyard to get this kind of view or can you see her from outside? We were planning to be in the area this summer but the official shipyard tour they do says no pictures allowed!

I'm surprised to think the Top is just a (potentially flimsy) Canopy. Not what I ever imagined for this Iconic feature.

I hope the canopy is reinforced or removable. The wing shape will act like an airplane wing when the ship is directly heading into the wind. Cruising 20 knots into a 30 knot headwind can cause a lift of a few tons! The canopy is 2000 sq ft that is deeper than a 747 wing. I'm not implying the carpet will actually fly but the soft canopy could have issues.

I hope the canopy is reinforced or removable. The wing shape will act like an airplane wing when the ship is directly heading into the wind. Cruising 20 knots into a 30 knot headwind can cause a lift of a few tons! The canopy is 2000 sq ft that is deeper than a 747 wing. I'm not implying the carpet will actually fly but the soft canopy could have issues.

It will add to noise in cabins nearby. Glad I changed our cabin to the other side!

Wouldn’t you have the same issue with the floor of the MC? Seems that whole side piece would impact the way the ship handles while sailing

it's designed after the fibonacci sequence. this is what gives it its "uneven" appearance - it's all in the spiral ramp.

OK you got me. I had to look up fibonacci sequence. Fancy mathematical word for spiral.

OK you got me. I had to look up fibonacci sequence. Fancy mathematical word for spiral.

haha true, or "snail shell" - my husband is a math minor and loves all things that can be proven. and annoyingly EVERYTHING can be proven with math, (i'm horrible at it) so this stuck out to me because he got excited about it :')

haha true, or "snail shell" - my husband is a math minor and loves all things that can be proven. and annoyingly EVERYTHING can be proven with math, (i'm horrible at it) so this stuck out to me because he got excited about it :')

This was the original reveal about Eden and the Fibonacci sequence. I think many of us heard about it for the first time that day. 😃

No not at all, the floor is relatively flat so it would cut the air like a knife. Still looking forward to trying out the carpet.

Good to know. But would the edge of the MC along with the solid glass/plastic railing impact airflow? and be less of a knife and more of a block of airflow? Just wondering.

This was the original reveal about Eden and the Fibonacci sequence. I think many of us heard about it for the first time that day. 😃

and he was already very familiar with it. it's so funny because my husband his SUCH a nerd when it comes to things like that - he is a software/app developer, computer programmer, math and numbers lover, LOVES physics...but if you looked at a photo of him and he began talking your ear off about ferraris then you would never think i'm describing the same person :')

Good to know. But would the edge of the MC along with the solid glass/plastic railing impact airflow? and be less of a knife and more of a block of airflow? Just wondering.

The glass panels would disrupt the air and there could be buffetting even at 20 knots, not severe but it could be annoying of one is trying to eat a pile of chips or a frothy drink. Again not a major issue. And yes I am a retired aerospace engineer.

The glass panels would disrupt the air and there could be buffetting even at 20 knots, not severe but it could be annoying of one is trying to eat a pile of chips or a frothy drink. Again not a major issue. And yes I am a retired aerospace engineer.

Okay I wondered, if you had an aerospace back ground. You know this MC seems unprotected. I can't think of a bar or restaurant on the top deck of a ship... up near the bow... usually protected at the back or at least mid ship behind some structure. Seems that if in use while the ship is moving that it could be uncomfortable. Now perhaps the front section... will be solid glass, up to the top... if so, then it would really impact airflow... if not... that pile of chips will be difficult indeed... just sit down wind and open your mouth:)

I am also a geek Ph.D scientist. Over 38 years I have driven my wife crazy as she is not analytical at all. But here is where we nerds fail. Can he mathematically prove the existence of love? or does he still need to bring you flowers and chocolate or perhaps surprise you with a cruise?

Had a phone call from X today informing me that the slated dining facility to be called Le Grand Bistro a French Bistro which was to cover a $25 surcharge is being scrapped. In its place there will be La Petit Chef.....an animated character who appears beside your plate and prepares each course you'll be enjoying right in front of you before you're served the actual dish. It's an immersive, mind-blowing fusion of entertainment and dining like nothing you've experienced before. The cost $45 except for those who have previously booked the original restaurant....they will be billed the original $25....so we'll enjoy.

Charles

Had a phone call from X today informing me that the slated dining facility to be called Le Grand Bistro a French Bistro which was to cover a $25 surcharge is being scrapped. In its place there will be La Petit Chef.....an animated character who appears beside your plate and prepares each course you'll be enjoying right in front of you before you're served the actual dish. It's an immersive, mind-blowing fusion of entertainment and dining like nothing you've experienced before. The cost $45 except for those who have previously booked the original restaurant....they will be billed the original $25....so we'll enjoy.

Charles

Here is a thread with more info on the change to Le Petit Chef. :)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2645281

Thanks for the updated info. Unfortunately the rep who called did not completely inform me as to exactly what was happening. She just stated that there was to be a change and that our reservation would be honored under the new format which I was led to believe was to be Le Petit Chef. After comments here and further research I now understand that it will be a dual featured dining spot. Le Grand Bistro during the day and Le Petit Chef during the evening. Now that that is cleared up we can now move on.

Charles

I am wondering if this canopy is only temporary, perhaps for use in the main 'reveal' ceremony? But is not intended for regular use whilst cruising

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk