Trying to decide between 2 different Caribbean cruises-Summit v. Equinox

Haven't sailed Celebrity before, only Carnival. Both ships leave on December 1st.

The Summit is not as new, leaves out of San Juan, which we're okay with and goes to some good islands, i.e., St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados. Great veranda price.

The Equinox goes out of Miami (simpler) to Key West (never been), Costa Maya & Cozumel (been there twice) and Grand Cayman (never been). But it's a newer ship with presumably more things to enjoy. Veranda is more money on this ship than the Summit.

Seems like the Summit would be better UNLESS there is a real difference between the two ships' experiences.

Thanks for your help. Haven't been on cruise critic for a while so I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with the Boards and all of you great people!

I'd definitely go Equinox....a Solstice class ship. I will pick that over an M Class ship in a heartbeat. I agree with the above poster - given the choice, spend a little more if you can and go Equinox - it's worlds apart from the Summit.

Been on Solstice once and Summit three times. Equinox coming up. Summit is great fun, as you can tell based on our repeat business. I would pick based on itinerary and if that's a tie, price. You really can't go wrong.

The itinerary on the Summit is much better, especially since the travel advisory issued by the US to the areas of Mexico that the Equinox is visiting. (See link: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html.)

Grand Cayman is also a tendered port, so it takes longer to get on and off the ship but is a nice island.

As for the ships, I agree with previous poster, I'd opt for Equinox. I prefer the layout of the Ocean View Café, the specialty restaurants aboard includes Murano which has been removed from all M-class ships (which includes Summit) and although food is subjective, is the best specialty restaurant on Celebrity IMHO. On the Summit, the normal verandah cabins are smaller than the Concierge or Aqua class cabins. If the differential isn't too great I'd recommend choosing either of those. Aqua class will also give you access to a special dining room called Blu which is smaller than the MDR, and offers more specialized service and a "clean cuisine." The shopping areas on Equinox are more varied and spacious. All that being said, Celebrity will offer you a wonderful time whichever cruise or itinerary you choose.

I would say it boils down to whether you consider yourself a port person or a ship person.

The Summit would be good if you are the type of person who enjoys spending the day touring the islands. Summit doesn't have as many things to do on the ship, but if you are on land all day, then who cares? The Summit will have more than enough to keep you occupied during evenings.

If you are the type of person who stays on the ship and enjoys its amenities while everyone else explores the port, then the Equinox might be better for you. I personally wouldn't enjoy another visit to Cozumel or Grand Cayman, so you would find me staying on the ship in those two ports.

If you are bringing kids, that might be another vote in the Equinox's favor. Kids programming appears to be an afterthought on the Summit. Celebrity basically carved out a piece of of Revelations Lounge and turned it into a kids club. It looks like the designers of the Equinox put a lot more forethought into dedicated space for children.

wow, wasn't quite expecting that definitive an answer but thank you.

Anything in particular you want to share? Thank you!

We cruise a lot and have been to most of the islands multiple times so now choose our cruises based on the ship over the itinerary in most cases. Although, I do love Costa Maya and Key West!

We've sailed many times on the Equinox and love that ship. We've not sailed on the Summit but have done several sailings on the Infinity, the Century and even the Mercury ... and many times after sailing on much newer ships. The older ships just start showing their age and are missing all the bells and whistles of the newer ships. While I do like the Infinity, for us, we love the layout and the feel of the S-class ships. We enjoy hanging out on top the ship in the lawn area ... they've even had sail away parties with a musician up on the lawn. The Persian Gardens on the S-class ships overlooks the ocean, it is inside on the M-class ships. One thing I like better on the M-class ships is the tholassotherapy (sp?) pool but the S-class ships have a lot better seating as well as a beautiful fountain in the indoor pool area.

Food and entertainment is equal on both but the venues for these are better on the S-class ships. And, I like the specialty restaurants on the S-class ships better than on the M-class ships. Although, I do prefer Cellar Masters over the Gastro Bar ... so that is actually a vote against the Equinox.

I would also rather sail out of Miami than Puerto Rico ...that's a personal preference, though. It's just easier for us to fly and stay in South Florida than to travel down to PR.

While I can't speak to the staff /crew of the Summit, it has nearly always been top notch on the Equinox.

I haven’t sailed on an S-class ship yet so can’t make a comparison, but I sailed on the Summit in October for my first cruise and was perfectly happy with the ship. While I don’t doubt that the S-class ships are nicer, I would not avoid the Summit; I would choose based on the itinerary and price.

I’ve noticed that the Summit’s Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan visit a lot of ports and have very few sea days. I think that’s all the more reason not to worry about being on a less-flashy ship.

While Summit has the better itin, sailing from San Juan may not be as easy due to conditions, hotel availability..and higher airfare.

Summit is older..more options on Equinox for dining, activities etc..Personal preference would come into play

You say Summit is less expensive. Do you mean travel price and cruise price combined are less? I have not sailed Summit but have sailed Century, Mercury and Infinity. If you’ve never sailed Celebrity you will probably be very happy with Summit. But for me nothing compares to S Class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This would be a tough decision for the wife and I......we were on the Equinox for the "Irma" cruise back in September for 11 nights........probably one the best cruises we have ever had!!! ......fast forward to last month. We sailed on the Summit out of Ft. Lauderdale.......we absolutely loved it! Honestly.....you really can't go wrong with either one. We actually have another cruise coming up on the Equinox in June! :)

Go and have a blast!

Haven't sailed Celebrity before, only Carnival. Both ships leave on December 1st.

The Summit is not as new, leaves out of San Juan, which we're okay with and goes to some good islands, i.e., St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados. Great veranda price.

The Equinox goes out of Miami (simpler) to Key West (never been), Costa Maya & Cozumel (been there twice) and Grand Cayman (never been). But it's a newer ship with presumably more things to enjoy. Veranda is more money on this ship than the Summit.

Seems like the Summit would be better UNLESS there is a real difference between the two ships' experiences.

Thanks for your help. Haven't been on cruise critic for a while so I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with the Boards and all of you great people!

hullman57 - As you can see, you will get a range of opinions of what to do even before folks understand what is important to you. With that said, what is important???

Are you driven by itinerary? Are you driven by the cruise ship experience? Are you driven by timing and/or money? Probably not one factor alone, but a combination of them?

With that said, I am driven by itinerary (first), timing of cruise (second), followed by cost. You can see my cruise history below and it is quite varied. Many more types of cruise itineraries on my "bucket" list but amount of vacation time and that work thing gets in the way. When I do cruise, I tend to spend time pre- or post-cruise if the port is new to me. I've already invested in travel expenses, so what is a bit more money to see/explore a new location that you may not get back to again anytime soon.

Understanding all that, I love M-Class ships (Constellation) but I also have enjoyed my time on S-Class ships (Reflection & Silhouette). I don't travel with kids, so that is not a factor (I tend to travel when kids are in school). I prefer longer itineraries over 7-day (or shorter). Ship entertainment on Celebrity is "ok" and anybody will tell you it could be much improved, but it meets our needs for someone that cruises 1-2 times per year. Cruising for us is an opportunity to relax, unwind, and "cut the cord" to be disconnected from the internet, from work, and from so many other things. If we want to know what is going on in the world, we can get that on the stateroom tv if/when we watch it.

If I was picking between your two options, it would be a no-brainer to take the Summit cruise. It checks the following boxes for:

• interesting itinerary
  • new ship for me
  • Preference to San Juan over Miami for departure

Again, you know more about what your desires, preferences, and stumbling points are going to be. Take all the other opinions with a grain of salt.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide works best for you.

You can't go wrong with either one. Celebrity service is top notch. Personally I would opt for the better itinerary... we do like th S class ships though.

I agree with Chris. The Summit Itinerary is much better we have done both many times. I also know that I am in the minority who likes the M Class ships better than the S Class. What I like is the Summit has 2,200 passengers vs Equonix 2,800 plus, on the Summit the pool deck is better and the cabins have much better storage. Food, Service, and crew are great on both. Do not forget the weather in Miami is not always that great in December!!

Our first cruise was out of Houston in early Feb. We spent the first and last days in sweatshirts and jackets. That's a very real possibility out of Miami too. Since then we've always cruised out of San Juan. This year we're sailing out of Barbados so we can spend a week pre-cruise there. The airfare is more but a 7 day cruise with 5 ports and only 1 sea day, all in warm weather, is my idea of a perfect cruise. The Summit has worked great for us. Love the Deck 11 Aqua cabins.

While Summit has the better itin, sailing from San Juan may not be as easy due to conditions, hotel availability..and higher airfare.

Summit is older..more options on Equinox for dining, activities etc..Personal preference would come into play

No problem sailing out of San Juan, I just did it in January. Flew in the day of and went straight to the ship. Now I live in Florida, so no issues with winter weather. Same thing on departure, went straight to the airport. Previously enjoyed staying at the Marriott Stellaris a few days prior to the cruise, but wouldn't do that now.

Summit's itinerary is much better. I sailed her three times in the last year. I go for the itinerary, although the last cruise I grabbed at the last minute because it would be the last with Captain Kate and Maja. Both have moved on to other ships.

We have been on both ships and yes, there is a difference. Equinox is a bit better and newer and has some more amenities BUT, we loved leaving from San Juan and only having one sea day the entire cruise. We loved it so much we did that trip 4 times until we retired and stopped doing winter cruises and started doing whole winters away from the cold..... If we went back it would be the Summit for sure.

Our first cruise was out of Houston in early Feb. We spent the first and last days in sweatshirts and jackets. That's a very real possibility out of Miami too. Since then we've always cruised out of San Juan. This year we're sailing out of Barbados so we can spend a week pre-cruise there. The airfare is more but a 7 day cruise with 5 ports and only 1 sea day, all in warm weather, is my idea of a perfect cruise. The Summit has worked great for us. Love the Deck 11 Aqua cabins.[/We have sailed out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale in December many times and have yet to wear sweatshirts. There are quite a few reasons that may induce you to one choice over the other, but I would not suggest you let that one influence you. The itinerary of Summit in this case is however IMO much better.

We have been on both ships and yes, there is a difference. Equinox is a bit better and newer and has some more amenities BUT, we loved leaving from San Juan and only having one sea day the entire cruise. We loved it so much we did that trip 4 times until we retired and stopped doing winter cruises and started doing whole winters away from the cold..... If we went back it would be the Summit for sure.

Agreed! We love the southern itineraries and would sail the summit again in a heartbeat! We board equinox next Saturday [emoji41]

When you posted that Equinox was cheaper than the Summit, did you take into consideration the extra expense of flying to San Juan? I think comparing the 2 together, they come out fairly close to the same price. Another thing to consider is when you fly into San Juan, you are already in the Caribbean, so you are nearer to the ports you want to see. Less days at sea.

Rollie

Summit. Less time at sea, usually in rough waters, more time on the islands.

The ship is older but we still prefer the m-class ships.

Summit would be our choice.

Equinox is run by Park West. on sea days the auction will take over the Sky Lounge and activities are scheduled around what they want. Even captain's club events are re-scheduled so that Park West can have the Sky Lounge in the afternoon.

Here's my two cents(probably about $2 with inflation), the Summit having a smaller capacity makes it a comfortable and convenient size to get around. We have been on the Summit three times in the past, twice when it did 10 cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale(2004 & 2005). Also did an eight day repositioning in 2012, and are doing it again in three weeks(04/21/18). Staying and leaving from San Juan is ideal, even now that storm damage has been repaired in most areas close to the ports. It provides the closest to port intense itineraries without sea days and is always a warm start.

We have also done the Equinox on six different occasions

Including three times last year. Leaving out of either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale is very easy and has never been a problem, other than the weather. The two ships are well maintained and as stated before the staff and service is always tops.

The OP doesn't have a resident state listed, but from NY

The flight to PR is only 50 minutes longer then MIA and the cost is comparable.

Whichever ship you choose, enjoy your cruise as we know it will be memorable!

Hal