No more customs form?

CoconutOne

Generally, you still fill out the form. Ft. Lauderdale (but not Miami) has Global Entry, but, unlike the international Airports that have it, it's not always in operation. If you have the Mobile Passport App (which I believe is active in Miami) you may be able to forgo the form as well. The issue though is if you get off the ship without the form, and find that on that day the service you need is not in operation, you then have to complete the form on the fly.

Therefore, I just go ahead and complete it when it's distributed on board, and have it on hand. After all it only takes me about 5 minutes tops.

Harris

Denver, CO

I've seen on a few threads now people saying they haven't had to fill out a customs form at all (departing/returning Miami.)

Is this true? You just get off the boat, show your passport and you're on your way?

Yes its been that way since April.

It's not that the forms are eliminated, but rather they are electronic. You arrive at customs/immigration, scan your passport into a machine, then what used to be a paper form now appears on the screen, and you click off the responses. The completed form then prints out, and you give it to the agent to clear customs.

It's not that the forms are eliminated, but rather they are electronic. You arrive at customs/immigration, scan your passport into a machine, then what used to be a paper form now appears on the screen, and you click off the responses. The completed form then prints out, and you give it to the agent to clear customs.

That definitely did not happen in Miami last Monday.

Very interesting! I guess that makes getting to the airport even faster!

It did not seem significantly quicker because previously you just handed the form to the custom agent which was different than passport control. I guess they may have occasionally asked some questions or looked at the form.

Perhaps you have not yet experienced the new process? There is no form at all in the new process nor do they ask the questions. You only need to do something if you have something to declare. I did not have anything to declare, so I am not 100% sure about that part.

Definitely no forms, paper or electronic, in Miami in April, June, August and September. You hand your passport to an official who looks at it and you. I was never asked if I had anything to declare. (I didn't.)

This was our experience also.

I've seen on a few threads now people saying they haven't had to fill out a customs form at all (departing/returning Miami.)

Is this true? You just get off the boat, show your passport and you're on your way?

We got off the Eclipse in Southampton 9/4 and flew to NY. While on board we completed the customs declaration BUT when we got to JFK nobody took it and everyone was waved through to the exit doors. I threw my form away when I got home.

This is how it is done in Canada now.

No forms, no great lines, no problem. This definitely was not our experience in Miami at customs: no forms paper or electronic. We were not even asked if we made any purchases while traveling. Guest relations was getting asked this question a lot by passengers toward the end of the cruise. Nice.

There are a couple of things getting confused here. Global entry speeds exit for known travelers that hold a global entry card. I've only encountered on cruise debarkation where global entry was available. In Galveston, it was not.

The other thing is the custom forms that you used to fill out. They're gone unless you have something to declare. In Galveston last week, the customs officer did ask, "Did you buy anything?", but there was no form or screen to fill out at all. I can't say that it appreciatively sped up exit in Galveston as we were in line for more than 90 minutes.