Thank You to All Hands!

CDR Benson

For probably fifteen years, my wife and I have talked about taking a cruise. Now, yes, as a retired Naval officer, I've done plenty of the "haze grey and underway" kind, but I'd never done a pleasure cruise. Nor has the Good Mrs. Benson. Even after we had the time and the wherewithal to take one, we always found reasons---good ones, at the time---to put it off.

Last May, I decided that we needed to pull the trigger on this before we were too doddering to make it up the gangway.

As the GMB will readily attest, I don't buy so much as a stapler without extensive research. After gathering every bit of on line and hard copy information I could on cruising and on the various cruise lines---their individual strengths and weaknesses, their personalities---I contacted a travel agent and told her what we wanted, and she came back with three recommendations. Another week or so of research, and we decided on HAL---a Neptune Suite on Nieuw Amsterdam, on a cruise to Alaska, departing 19 May 2018---almost a year away (then).

And this is where you folks on this board come in.

I knew, as all of you do, that booking a cruise was only the beginning of the preparations. And while my research informed me of the large considerations, I also knew that there were the smaller details---smaller, but can make or break the enjoyment of a cruise---that I could learn only from those who had actually been there and done that, the advice that could come only from veteran cruisers.

Last June, I found this board, and I've followed it, studied it, scoured it, for the past ten months. And here's the remarkable thing: I never had to post a single question.

Oh, I had plenty of 'em. But as it turned out, somewhere in these one-hundred-forty-odd pages of posts, every question I wanted to ask had already been answered by you knowledgeable folks (because someone else had already asked it). I also got the answers to things that hadn't occurred to me, but should have.

I couldn't have asked for a greater source of first-hand information that I what I found here, and for that, we thank all of you who took, and continue to take, the trouble to aid those who come to this board for advice.

Next week, the GMB and I embark on this grand experience (a day before sailing, per the conventional wisdom). Something, somewhere, will probably go amiss---something always does---but it won't be because we weren't properly prepared and advised. We are good to go---and much of the credit for that goes to all of you here.

Thank you!

My BIL was in the Navy, and when he retired, one of the first things he wanted to do was take a cruise. He wanted to go on a ship and NOT have to work!

I understand how you feel about all you've learned. I feel the same way. I've learned to much from fellow cruisers. I'm still amazed at the tidbits that people contribute that I haven't heard yet.

Have a wonderful time!

I know you didn't ask for any advice, but I just wanted to share a few ideas. Bring warm clothes! If you are sociable, enjoy a table for 6 at dinner. And you can meet lovely people in the Neptune lounge. If you are at anytime dining, you can meet them again if you like. However, if you are at a fixed time and choose to be seated with others, just ask the head waiter. Dinner is one of the ways to meet others and share the experiences of the day. We love cruising and hope you have a wonderful time.

A Neptune Suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska for your very first pleasure cruise ...all I can say is you must have cheated and peeked at the envelope first ..... because you picked The Winner!

Congrats - sorry the weather is not yet cooperating this time of the year as we head up there ourselves. Best wishes for a great cruise on a wonderful ship.

I read Cruise Critic for about a year before joining, there is a wealth of information on this website.

You will find that the Neptune Lounge Concierges are very helpful.

Wishing you a fabulous cruise, and as others have stated come back and let us know about your cruise.

First of all, thank you for your service and welcome to HAL and the CC community. You are so right about the wealth of knowledge here. I didn't find CC until after our first cruise (also Alaska) so you're ahead of the game. [emoji846]

My husband is also a retired Naval Officer but we didn't take our first "pleasure cruise" until 10 years after he retired. Now we can't stop! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congratulations on choosing an excellent cruise line, ship and destination!

Our first cruise was eleven years ago on HAL to Alaska and while it wasn’t on the Nieuw Amsterdam, 25 cruises later, she is our favorite ship.

Can’t wait to read about your adventures!

Best wishes to you and GMB for a wonderful first cruise. You will love Alaska. I've cruised to Alaska 3 times and found each cruise special. I hope you'll come back and do a review after your trip. Have a grand time!

Others shared their experiences with us when we were "newbies", so it seemed only fair to pass on our experiences to those who followed us. Have a wonderful cruise and I hope you decide to make it the first of many.

My dad always loved cruising, and the times we shared together on the open ocean are some of my most cherished memories. He first approached me with the idea of joining him on a cruise in the early 90's while I was still a young Navy Lieutenant on active duty riding Navy warships for a living. Perhaps my initial response to such a ‘crazy’ notion can be understood considering where I was in my career at the time, but I am so happy that he convinced me to give it a try. Of course I was immediately hooked, and haven’t stopped cruising since!

DH was on an aircraft carrier, and warns the Baked Alaska will simply not be the same as found on his navy ship, but there will be a lot more rooms with views and fewer exposed cables, conduits and wires and clanging passageways.