Squeaky, Drippy and Scratchy

Andoria

I'm just off the Dawn and it was my 4th time on that ship/itinerary. I had a great time but despite my cabin (9550) being in a great location, it needed some attention.

Would you have complained if the bathroom door and draws squeaked every time you opened and closed them? If the shower had barely any water pressure? If your blanket was scratchy due to heavy pilling?

I didn't complain because I try not to be a PITA but I'm wondering if next time I should speak up?

I would not complain about squeaky drawers and a door. That's the stuff the cruise staff rolls their eyes at when talking about "that" passenger. Not much they can do about water pressure in your specific cabin either ....

They much rather know about our CC concerns first while still onboard, give them a chance (or not) to try to fix it and do it right - than to read about it later by a day or a week or two on here.

The blanket/comforter can be easy exchanged, they sure got spare ones to rotate - worst case, Room Steward will find her/his (just kidding :halo: ) - easy fix.

Squeaky door & dresser drawers - maybe a little quick spray with can of WD-40 or "grease" will do, the Dawn is on the "aging" side of the fleet ... but still, much newer than some of the those B737 or A320 being flown these days (for real).

As for "low" water pressure - odds are that your neighbors served by the same line experienced similar, and, what they don't know or heard about, they can't be tasked to try to fix it by blasting air or flushing the open values , etc. due to marine plumbing system - they do, as I've seen, maintenance on it all the time. Thankfully, didn't smell raw sewage or heard/know of clogging grey/black water lines on our cruise last week on the "newer" Gem ourselves.

Besides, you missed out your chance to get a free bottle of wine too, especially if you made a valid "complaint" & they did not get it resolved and proof worthy of being your "Vacation Hero". Oh, wait - dial ext. xx to tell the Heaven/suite butler and/or concierge to fix it, aren't they supposed to do that for you too ?

Edited by mking8288

I travel almost every week and I would be totally ecstatic if the only thing I had to deal with in a hotel room was squeaky, drippy, and scratchy. Why go out of your way to look for every possible thing to complain about and diminish the joy of being on vacation on a beautiful ship?

I'm just off the Dawn and it was my 4th time on that ship/itinerary. I had a great time but despite my cabin (9550) being in a great location, it needed some attention.

Would you have complained if the bathroom door and draws squeaked every time you opened and closed them? If the shower had barely any water pressure? If your blanket was scratchy due to heavy pilling?

I didn't complain because I try not to be a PITA but I'm wondering if next time I should speak up?

Well they couldn't do anything about the water pressure unless at the showerhead there was an adjustment. Was the water pressure poor at the sinks too? So no I wouldn't have complained.

The squeaking while annoying isn't worth complaining about. We actually had the bathroom and shower door bang open and closed due to poor hinges but we just put something in front of them to keep them closed. It was a pain but we managed.

And lastly you could have asked for a different blanket. They could have done that for you so yes on that one.

I travel almost every week and I would be totally ecstatic if the only thing I had to deal with in a hotel room was squeaky, drippy, and scratchy. Why go out of your way to look for every possible thing to complain about and diminish the joy of being on vacation on a beautiful ship?

This is why I didn't complain because I didn't know if I was being a sensitive princess. I try to cruise 2x year but do little traveling otherwise.

Actually, low water pressure at an individual shower head is fixable even though there is no "adjustment". Unlike showers on land, ship's showers must be fitted with "back flow preventers", so that any water that is trapped in the shower hose/head, and which may develop legionella as a result, cannot flow back into the water distribution system if the water is shut off. These back flow preventers (and there are literally thousands of them around the ship (every shower, every toilet, every machine that uses water like dishwashers and laundry machines, as well as every hose connection) must be tested/replaced annually. A failure or clog in these back flow preventers can cause poor water flow to the shower, and its a simple 5 minute repair. But if they don't know about it, it may persist for months. Report problems like this. Even creaky doors can be handled with a quick 5 minute maintenance call from the carpenters.

If you want good water pressure just sail a CCL ship - you could literally take a shower or bath in the hallway last week.

Regards to shower, one sailing we had good pressure in all room devices except shower. Mentioned it to guy in charge of maintenance at CC M&G. Nothing happened. So later that night at Captain's party at intro the Captain (standing next to concierge) asked how everything was going. I said great except our shower pressure horrible and told him we had mentioned it earlier in the day.

Got back to room 1/2 hour later, there was a note and pressure was great.

I think it would have been perfectly fine for you to speak up.

In a pleasant way, I would have asked if they had any other blankets (seems like an easy fix).

If I thought the shower/closets were fixable I might have mentioned it but probably wouldn't want to spend time waiting in the room for an engineer to check it out. Though fixing it (if its possible) would help future passengers too.

We used to have a game where you would have to make up rhyming seven dwarf names with the 7th one being a non-match. My all time favorite was...

Breezy

Cheesy

Greasy

Queasy

Sleazy

Wheezy

- and -

Stick Pin

Next up?

Very funny.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes. If they aren't made aware of issues, they can't be corrected.

You also did not follow the rules. The 7th dwarf has to be a non-rhyming name that is totally off base with the others. See "Stick-Pin" in my list!

You are correct. And I am a rule follower to boot. But I was having so much fun that I got carried away.

How do I choose just six? Put the names in a hat maybe?

For # 7 I will go with Candle wax?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used to have a game where you would have to make up rhyming seven dwarf names with the 7th one being a non-match. My all time favorite was...

Breezy

Cheesy

Greasy

Queasy

Sleazy

Wheezy

- and -

Stick Pin

Next up?

OK I'll try:

Hazy

Mazie