Am I being unreasonable?

dee2673

Morning All,

We booked a cruise onboard last December under the. View and Veranda Sale . It was 11 days on the Veendam , with 400. in OBC (x2) and pre paid gratuities, an upgrade and 10% off journeys ashore. The first two perks ware what we wanted as the latter 2 were not important. We booked a Neptune Suite.

We received the e-mail that the Veendam was being redeployed to Cuba and that we would have to rebook. My booking is through the big box TA in Seattle. We were given a short window to rebook. No promos were happening at that time.

When I called, HAL gave us 600 in OBC, which we were OK with. No mention of the loss of the pp gratuities but there was a push for me making my deposit non refundable. I had never heard of that but the agent assured me it was the best pricing

We started thinking about our cruise yesterday. Do you , in your vast experience, feel that we should retain all the original amenities when we first booked? We did not choose to rebook and would have waited for a promo, if we had known we’d lose the one we cared about. The reduced OBC were OK ..although the benefit of booking onboard was negated.

It feels unfair..Is it? Since we had no choice and were advised we had a short window to rebook? Still new to cruising and wanting to learn

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A couple of questions which will help (me, at least).

What ship did you select for your new cruise and how many days is it? Same category of cabin?

The new ship is the Eurodam and the number of days is the same at 11. We chose SC, Neptune Suite Guarantee on the Veendam since she does not have our preferred aft wrap NS. . On the Eurodam, we grabbed the Aft wrap NS, which is SB.

Thanks for thinking about it. We'll still enjoy the cruise and I'll still love HAL but it just feels wrong

Thanks.

At first thought it does appear unfair, but upon reflection,

When you booked the View and Verandah sale pricing would have been higher (at the time) due to the perks offered IMO.

Since your Eurodam booking is with the non refundable deposit, it is in essence a snap (bare bones) fare which is cheaper than with perks added. (And usually a better deal in many cases). With the OBC added in, you should be ahead of the game than when you had the original sale. (Cheaper price + OBC).

So, I would suspect that the fare you have with the added OBC would be a better deal than if they offered to put the View and Veranah in place for you?

Unfortunately, we can't go back in time to know what your Eurodam cruise was back than and compare but, that is my supposition.

The one thing that doesn't seem fair is that it appears you lost the OBC that you got for booking on board (the FCD and ZPM promo). It wasn't your fault that you had to change your cruise :(

I think they should have let you keep all the perks of the original booking. After all, they changed the cruise on you: it wasn't your choice. Unfortunately they may have a very different opinion.

But don't let this spoil your cruise experience. Enjoy yourselves!

In my opinion you should keep all the perks you had.

Similar happened to us and we kept all our perks plus they gave us each another $100 OBC for the inconvenience.

Get your big box TA to fight for you. This was not your decision so you shouldn't lose anything in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my gosh, Thank you guys! Yes, Kazu is it slightly less expensive..but I just feel it was not my choice to change !I do see your point but it was not very clear at the time. I would be happy with the reinstatement of just the PP gratuities or equivalent OBC. Better would be a pre cruise package..LOL.but I think that would be unreasonable,lol. My TA called this AM and I was advised to call back Monday as the redeployment dept is M-F. I feel better about "fighting" which is not my strong suit..Thank you all

Oh my gosh, Thank you guys! Yes, Kazu is it slightly less expensive..but I just feel it was not my choice to change !I do see your point but it was not very clear at the time. I would be happy with the reinstatement of just the PP gratuities or equivalent OBC. Better would be a pre cruise package..LOL.but I think that would be unreasonable,lol. My TA called this AM and I was advised to call back Monday as the redeployment dept is M-F. I feel better about "fighting" which is not my strong suit..Thank you all

I agree - it was not your choice to change.

I was just trying to compare apples to apples.

I hope you can get the HSC / equivalent OBC back.

I think your being unfair to HAL. Your the one who decided to rebook. Normally on re booking you'll get the Promotions that is on when you rebook. The non refundable full deposit I won't accept for any cruise. If a $100 deposit then I'll consider booking especially if the cruse is at least $200 dollars less.

IMO if your big box TA is unable to negotiate a resolution with HAL that is 100% acceptable to you, the big box TA should make up the difference. And, if you tell your big box TA that that is your bottom line expectation before you contact HAL next week, I have a feeling your big box TA will try harder and will get you a better deal. YMMV

Smooth sailing $ $ $

I think your being unfair to HAL. Your the one who decided to rebook. Normally on re booking you'll get the Promotions that is on when you rebook. The non refundable full deposit I won't accept for any cruise. If a $100 deposit then I'll consider booking especially if the cruse is at least $200 dollars less.

LOL ... Just LOL ... :rolleyes:

Did you read the OP's post? The ship was deployed elsewhere. complete change. HAL's decision - not the OP's.

I think it was 3 years ago that we were booked for the Nieuw Amsterdam with lots of perks. About 3 months before we were to sail, HAL decided to keep the Nieuw Amsterdam longer in Europe -- our cruise in the Caribbean was cancelled -- it was a Collectors Cruise. We were given a few choices and had a short time to decide. We chose the Eurodam -- PS is the category we like and of the choices the Eurodam was the only ship left with a PS for a Collectors Cruise. We were given all the perks we were to have on the Nieuw Amsterdam as well as a hefty shipboard credit. Our TA handled everything.

Yes -- OP -- you should have gotten all your original perks plus extra shipboard credit.

My feeling is that you accepted Holland America's replacement offer and are not entitled to more. It is kind of late to try to negotiate for more, although you might be successful.

I am sorry to read that HAL wanted a quick decision from both dee2673 and Krazy Kruizers. Rushing a decision is a scuzzy car salesman trick. "This offer won't be good tomorrow."

I think your being unfair to HAL. Your the one who decided to rebook. Normally on re booking you'll get the Promotions that is on when you rebook. The non refundable full deposit I won't accept for any cruise. If a $100 deposit then I'll consider booking especially if the cruse is at least $200 dollars less.[/quote

Clearly you did not read the entire post of the OP. Please read posts carefully before you decide to post an abrasive reply. An apology is a good start.

I did read the whole think. I personally have had the same thing happen . I decided to cancel and rebook with another company. Personally I have found that HALs business has gone to the dogs in customer service.

If people don’t like my comment so be it. That’s fine. I have had similar replies to some on my answers as well with no apologies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There seem to be a lot of changes/redeployments this year. It might be helpful to do a search and see what others were offered. IIRC people were offered a new cruise for usually less cost with onboard credit for the inconvenience. We were in a similar situation earlier this year and were not happy with the original offer due to the effect on our situation. We wrote HAL and they responded with a fair solution.

IMO if your big box TA is unable to negotiate a resolution with HAL that is 100% acceptable to you, the big box TA should make up the difference.

I disagree. Where does that money come from? Say HAL does not lower the price. The cruiser makes demands (100% acceptable to them) that HAL, the one who gets the money, will not accept and the middleman is to make it up somehow. If they do I hope they are not an agent I do business with as they will have to add a little on every cruise they book to make up for every one of these "compensations" they do. Money does not just appear. This cancel and re-booking has already cost them money from the original booking. This is up to HAL with the TA spending time (and money) to negotiate.

I did read the whole think. I personally have had the same thing happen . I decided to cancel and rebook with another company. Personally I have found that HALs business has gone to the dogs in customer service.

If people don’t like my comment so be it. That’s fine. I have had similar replies to some on my answers as well with no apologies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not seeking an apology from someone on a message board.

But please understand that HAL cancelled my cruise. I suppose I could have booked with another line but wanted to cruise with my preferred line which is HAL. I did not choose to cancel. HAL redeployed my cruise. Didn’t sound like you understood as I never cancelled. But again , go ahead and say whatever you want

Hope you’re happier on whatever other line you’ve chosen