What's with the BANGING of doors!

AmBear

Doors are too heavy for me to hold as they pull themselves closed. Inside I can hold them close slowly with my body. I refuse to hurt myself. Selfish, yep. Either that or in a sling for the rest of the cruise.

It’s going to get worse as ships are built with only balconies and insides.

Semantics, but the doors aren’t being slammed. Slamming infers anger. No anger involved, just the way the doors and hinges are built.

FWIW every multifamily dwelling we’ve been in, we can hear doors closing.

After 2-3 times of their door banging shut, I would think any considerate person would notice the noise and try to remedy the issue by holding the door. However, I have found this is not the case on CCL cruises for some reason. But besides the door bangers, my other pet peeve are the rude people who hold VERY LOUD group conversations in the hallways at 2 a.m.!! This happened to us on our last Conquest cruise. It was like they had their own private party in the hallway each evening, yelling to each other and laughing like hyenas. Okay - vent over!!

I think in some cases people are simply unaware.

I agree with this sentiment, also children do not realize (they are excited, having fun, out of their element, overexcited etc.) that they are slamming the door. DS is 15 now and is fully aware but to be honest, even after many, many years of cruising in balcony or OS cabin, it took him a long time to "remember" that the balcony door slams shut. It is annoying for us at night only, after we are in our cabin for the night (usually after midnight some time).

other pet peeve are the rude people who hold VERY LOUD group conversations in the hallways at 2 a.m.!!

YES! This to us is way worse and much more annoying and happens often (or unsupervised kids running through the hallways after midnight as well).

In case anyone wondered I'M the one who comes on board with 4 "Please do not slam your door; simply hold it until it closes. Thank you." notices. I have only had to place 2 in mailboxes for it to stop.

I through the one in my mailbox away. Thanks for the thought anyway.

Doors are too heavy for me to hold as they pull themselves closed. Inside I can hold them close slowly with my body. I refuse to hurt myself. Selfish, yep. Either that or in a sling for the rest of the cruise.

Semantics, but the doors aren’t being slammed. Slamming infers anger. No anger involved, just the way the doors and hinges are built.

Sorry disagree, not selfish, you're being rude, buy an inside cabin!

As far as not in anger, then call it rude ignorance!

The banging we heard on our last cruise a couple weeks ago was hundreds if not thousands of times during a 3 hour 'am, and then pm' time period!

It was so prevalent, we thought it was being done purposely! You just couldn't be that DUMB/STUPID!

Sorry disagree, not selfish, you're being rude, buy an inside cabin!

As far as not in anger, then call it rude ignorance!

The banging we heard on our last cruise a couple weeks ago was hundreds if not thousands of times during a 3 hour 'am, and then pm' time period!

It was so prevalent, we thought it was being done purposely! You just couldn't be that DUMB/STUPID!

Don't get mad, get even. When our neighbor slams the door, we slam ours right back. if enough people would do this then Carnival might remedy the situation.

What a ridiculous post. That doesn’t make any sense at all. If the door is too heavy to hold, how the heck are you able to open it?

And yes, it is still slamming.

I don't let doors slam but I'm also one of those people who never notices if someone does. I have the (strange, according to my friends and family), ability to block out most annoying noises and unless someone mentions something, I'm totally unaware.

I think people should be thoughtful of others, but just maybe because noise doesn't bother them, they don't realize it bothers others.

We just got off the Triumph and the slamming of cabin doors was the worst of any of our cruises. It seemed like they were seeing how hard they could slam their hallway door. It was the start of spring break, with a lot of drinking going on, so I'm sure this contributed to some of the noise. Poor old Triumph is in bad shape. We had water dripping in several places on deck 9, with large fans blowing to keep the old carpet dry. Had a bad odor of mold in the hallway. She just looks very aged everywhere. Still had fun, as it beat working.

In case anyone wondered I'M the one who comes on board with 4 "Please do not slam your door; simply hold it until it closes. Thank you." notices. I have only had to place 2 in mailboxes for it to stop.

Where can I get some?

I make my own. I decorate them so they don't appear menacing, even tho deep down I am really ticked off! :cool:

OMG! My DH who is NOT a newbie cruiser would do this all the time and it drove me nuts!

I would tell him, just hold the door closed. He would for a minute and then later, he would come out on the balcony for like 10 seconds and then go back in without holding the door. UGH!

To me, it's just so rude. How can anyone not be aware of this?!

LOL This is my husband too. It is a constant reminder to hold the door every time. This is NOT that hard to remember, well except when your hands are full of something. :D

I've been on a few cruises, and I find myself guilty of letting the door "slam" on occasion :rolleyes: . I do say, "CHIT!" under my breath each time I do it, and try to do a better job of it next time.

Maybe if I was able to cruise once a month, I would be conditioned to automatically hang on to the door handle! :D

I have found that there are two groups of cruisers that make sure they have several members on every single cruise that leaves ports. There are the cabin door slammers (ICDS) and the balcony door slammers (ICDS). They communicate on facebook and twitter sites to make sure that all cruises are covered. What you got to really be careful of is getting on a ship where they are having their annual conventions.

If my kids ever since our first cruise were able to do it at ages 5 and 7 without so much as a bruise or pinched finger, surely a grown adult can.

And no we didn’t let them out on the balcony by themselves. But if they wanted it go out and an adult was out there they could. Same with going in.

There is also a difference between living in an apartment and hearing a door close vs letting the door slam and rattle the walls. The latter is totally avoidable with a little thought and effort.

Oh please, everyone pretty much knows how a door works. The problem is balcony doors do not work as normal doors (i.e closing speed/force). To expect every one/every time to accommodate the unexpected design flaw is a bit much.

I really don't think the person in the cabin next to you is intentionally slamming the door to upset you. As others have said, a classic first world problem.....

Why don't we add those who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom?

I'm sure there are those who have their reasons.

I was blown away on my Splendor cruise in January on how many men didn't.

Why don't we add those who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom?

I'm sure there are those who have their reasons.

I was blown away on my Splendor cruise in January on how many men didn't.

There are many disgusting habits people have, however, this one and many others don’t wake me out of a dead sleep and rattle the walls of the cabin.

Can't believe how much Banging of Balcony and Cabin entry doors goes on!:eek:

Instead of a safety muster, a teaching of how to quietly shut your cabin/balcony door with banging it so half the ship can hear!:mad:

So is it a ship design flaw, or just rudeness?

Design flaw. It's mentioned enough here to make note of it being an issue. Other cruise lines have sliding doors on their balconies.

FWIW, I only cruise with a balcony and I try to be cognizant of the door slamming thing. After more than 25 cruises, I still once in awhile accidentally manage to let the door slam. It's a design flaw. People are going to do what people do. You design around that. Or not.