Princess Pros: Best time to book?

mlkmnsgrl

For those of you who have been following Princess' annual deals (like the 3 for free going until next week), is there a best annual promotion to wait for?

We're looking at a specific cruise for next November and we're not remotely particular about our cabin, so there's no need for us to rush to book--we can wait for the best deal.

Thanks for your wisdom!

As soon as bookings open. There are no set "annual" promotions. If an itinerary has promotions, expect that itinerary to change or be eliminated in the future.

I book as early as I can, save 10-20% off the introductory fare thanks to my TA, and if there's a promotion or fare reduction later on and I'm eligible, I get the promotion as well.

Edited by Pam in CA

Whenever you see the cruise you like go ahead and book it. As long as the promo does NOT have a non-refundable deposit, then you can always change the booking to a better promo if and when one appears. You can even change your booking if your deposit is non-refundable. With a good T.A. you may not loose your deposit. The 3 for free does NOT have the non refundable deposit. Look around the holidays for promos. Most times I change my bookings at least once, sometimes twice.

If your cruise is part of the Three for Free promo which requires only a $100 per person refundable deposit you have nothing to lose by booking now. Then keep your eye on prices and if it goes down, call and have it re-fared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Book as soon as the cruise goes on sale and then follow CC for sales to see if you can get a better deal. I recommend not booking a non-refundable deposit cruise. Some of the promo sales may not be cheaper than the original booking because the cruise fare might be increased. It might have been the 3 for free promo where some people, like us, saved over $1,000 and others on different itineraries would not have saved any money. Everyone who cruises Princess should always have a couple of future cruise deposits available so that you only need a $100 deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I usually stick to booking after the final payment date. The current 3 for Free deal doesn't make up for the bargain prices of cruises that really go on sale after then. Of course, some cruises sell well and sell out way before the final payment date. If you want to go on a specific cruise, book it when the price is right for you.

Once we decide to go on a cruise and know the date and ship, we book it. We don't get concerned about prices (usually they have gone up after we book anyway) and usually we rarely even check. I guess if we go on a lot of cruises then maybe we would, but there were a few times that we find a sailing we want sold out.

I usually stick to booking after the final payment date. The current 3 for Free deal doesn't make up for the bargain prices of cruises that really go on sale after then. Of course, some cruises sell well and sell out way before the final payment date. If you want to go on a specific cruise, book it when the price is right for you.

I haven't seen any big bargains after final payment in months, and I have been looking! I'm afraid this too is a thing of the past.

For those of you who have been following Princess' annual deals (like the 3 for free going until next week), is there a best annual promotion to wait for?

We're looking at a specific cruise for next November and we're not remotely particular about our cabin, so there's no need for us to rush to book--we can wait for the best deal.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Whenever you are ready.

We usually book far out when cruises open and have found the prices to be the lowest typically, as we have to fly in and generally can't wait til the end....BUT......we just booked a cruise for 4 weeks away due to a forced cancellation on another cruise lines and got the very lowest price of all times by waiting! And were lucky enough to get a great balcony cabin right where we always stay! Plus the airfare was LOTS less than it was one year ago....so it was WIN-WIN by booking very close to sailing date. We would never have believed it nor waited so long in the past!! :):D

As soon as bookings open. There are no set "annual" promotions. If an itinerary has promotions, expect that itinerary to change or be eliminated in the future.

I book as early as I can, save 10-20% off the introductory fare thanks to my TA, and if there's a promotion or fare reduction later on and I'm eligible, I get the promotion as well.

I agree with Pam, we always book as early as we have decided on a cruise... often when cruises are announced... we do not use a TA, we book directly with Princess... often the prices goes up.. book early we save, if it goes down Princess often honors the lower price... we do not look for special deals on drinks etc., that maybe important to you... sometimes you may loose special promotions if you get the lower price... you have to way the difference.

I totally agree with you Pam.

Tony

I'm in agreement with the early booking folks. We have a cruise booked for October 2017 and one booked for March 2018. When we did our Alaska Connoisseur Cruise Tour earlier this year I booked it about a year and a half in advance - on the morning of the very first day it was available to book. The price never went down despite several "sales".

If you know you want the cruise book it and watch the fare. Of course, if you are retired (I am finally retired - YAY!) you can wait and try for a last minute deal. Since you said you don't care what type of cabin you have or where your cabin is located this could be a good deal for you if you have the ability to book a "drop and go" type of rate.

Edited by Thrak

If your cruise is part of the Three for Free promo which requires only a $100 per person refundable deposit you have nothing to lose by booking now. Then keep your eye on prices and if it goes down, call and have it re-fared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. I just booked a back-to-back for next October/November with Costco. $400 total deposit for both cruises, free gratuities, and a total of $1,160 in obc. Costco's obc is refundable, too.

We did the same itinerary in 2013, and I looked up our old invoice. Next year's cruise is only $350 more, and we all know how much cruise prices have gone up in the last 3 years.

If I was a USA resident I would book in the U.K. , prices on some cruises are cheaper and with the dollar you'll save big

I always thought the deposits were non-refundable booked in the UK. Also, are the promotions the same?

This is interesting we are about to book our next cruise and I want to wait but my wife says book now. Our last two cruises dropped BIG after final payment and I was a little upset that some blue card was going to get a way better deal then us. (we are platinum)

My wife is concerned because we fly down a day early and stay at a hotel the night before our cruises. She wants everything in place so that we are not booking hotels and flights at the last minute. She is also worried that if we wait the cruise may sell out.

What I want to do is plan the trip, book the flight and hotel but keep an eye on the cruise and book that last minute. If the ship fills up we can always book to secure the cruise.

I usually book right away when they release new schedules as I like certain rooms and want to secure them right away. I then watch for promotions along the way and check pricing against the promotion and see what is the best deal. I have always saved money somewhere along the way!

Promotional offers are often incorporated into the (actual)fare price. One is paying for those "free gratuities", "extra OBC" and "beverage packages" one way or another.

DISCLAIMER: (The below advice does not apply to rarely offered and/or high-demand itineraries, rather it is related to common itineraries available in multiples every season).

Speaking solely to the total fare of a cruise.....The best time to book is after final payment date - a window between 75 and (roughly)30 days before the sailing date. AKA "Drop-and-go"/"Standby" deals.

One issue with this can be(for those that need to fly to a departure port) the best priced/convenient airfare might not be available that close to the sailing date. Many may feel uncomfortable buying airfare/booking hotels, scheduling time-off etc. for a sailing date w/out actually purchasing the desired cruise first.

Yes, there is risk, but for those willing to take it, the savings can be significant in relation to launch/early promotional fares.

I've been fare watching for quite a few years now. I know what types of itineraries sell out before final payment and which ones don't. Yes, it's a game of chicken with the cruiseline, but cruiselines don't like their ships to sail less-than-full.

Of course there are many who desire certain cabins, appreciate promotional extras, don't mind paying a premium and refaring(when allowed) up until final payment date. I, however, prefer to pay less overall and usually do.

Approaching 50 cruises, I think we are on cruise 49.

The vast majority of which we booked last-minute.

No frills, no perks, no nothing to worry about.

Just off the Crown Princess on 11/17 from a 28-day LA-Hawaii-South Pacific-LA cruise which we booked 30-days within sailing and "only" paid $3998 total for the 2 of us (port charges and taxes/fees included) for a great balcony cabin.

Those "free" promos come with a price tag built into the cost of the cruise.

The "only" freebies we received were:

$300 from 2 future cruise certificates

$250 military benefit

$250 shareholder benefit

$50 loyalty benefit

Plus the usual Elite benefits.

Thanks,

Fred

Edited by nipponcruiser

Just so I have this straight. If we book a trip next month for 2018 (british isles), and Princess runs a promotion for say the AIBP in June, we can still get the package for our trip? Is this what I am understanding? I have never taken advantage of this before. We watch for lower pricing, but maybe I am misunderstanding? Thanks!

Just so I have this straight. If we book a trip next month for 2018 (british isles), and Princess runs a promotion for say the AIBP in June, we can still get the package for our trip? Is this what I am understanding? I have never taken advantage of this before. We watch for lower pricing, but maybe I am misunderstanding? Thanks!

It it is before final payment time, yes.

If it is after final payment time, it would normally only be for new bookings.

Of course you would be subject to the pricing at the time of that new promotion and would lose any promotion amenities you already had if they are not also a part of the new promotion.