Interesting article Re: Hidden camera Carnival

Host CJSKIDS

I suspect this camera was placed by a previous guest who wanted to keep an eye on the room steward. The battery would not last long. Where would the camera send pictures to unless it was a smart phone on the ship? It would be rather expensive to send pictures using the ships internet while at sea.

Probably just forgot to retrieve it or perhaps it broke and wasn't considered worth retrieving.

Unbelievable! I hope this family gets some real answers. I can see why Carnival is trying to down play this, but law enforcement needs to be active in the investigation, not Carnival security. I'll be more on the lookout when I'm in my cabin.

Hi Ken and Darlene,

When entering the cabin, I swipe down the surfaces, switches, remote control, faucet handles, etc.Now I guess I will add scrutinizing the room for hidden cameras.

Sali

The ***** comes close to this kind of invasion of privacy and is why I won't use it.

Hope you don't have a smart phone. They're far more intrusive. I just bought a thermometer that measures the temperature of a piece of meat on my grill. It uses bluetooth to provide that information to my smart phone. Very useful device. However, the app won't work unless I turn on location services. Why does a meat thermometer need to know my location? I turn on location, cook my steaks, turn off location.

I would very much suspect somebody from the staff onboard.

Can't imagine anyone on vacation taking the money, time, effort, to install this, pointing it at the bed, to make sure that the steward isn't messing with anything.

And, IMHO, the response of Security and CCL would support this.

They would have no reason to protect any of many possible past guests in that cabin.

Every reason to cover their own behind.

Hope you don't have a smart phone. They're far more intrusive. I just bought a thermometer that measures the temperature of a piece of meat on my grill. It uses bluetooth to provide that information to my smart phone. Very useful device. However, the app won't work unless I turn on location services. Why does a meat thermometer need to know my location? I turn on location, cook my steaks, turn off location.

The smart phone goes into the safe upon embarkation and doesn't resurface until docked for disembarkation.

The smart phone goes into the safe upon embarkation and doesn't resurface until docked for disembarkation.

If it's turned on while you are on land you are trackable. People seem to love it that FB asks you to "check in" when you are in a restaurant, a bar, Costco, etc. This should actually tell them that they are being tracked wherever they go.

If it's turned on while you are on land you are trackable. People seem to love it that FB asks you to "check in" when you are in a restaurant, a bar, Costco, etc. This should actually tell them that they are being tracked wherever they go.

We have a mall about a half mile from our house. I get at least one pop up daily on my cell phone asking me to rate various shops in the mall that is how strong their tracking app is. I visit this mall 2 or 3 days a week to walk in bad weather.

There is a nutrition store at the mall I occasionally stop and get a bar at when I am in the mall and I am registered for their "perks" card. When I stopped yesterday to pick up a bottle of vitamins I got it free because their tracking app showed I was in their store on a daily basis. I am not but score for me.

People who think they are not tracked are living under a rock in Antarctica.

A very logical explanation I heard on another site is that the previous occupant set up the camera to keep an eye on their kids. Either they had another cabin or perhaps left the kids alone in their cabin. Then, at the end of the cruise, they just went off and forgot it.

If Jim Walker is involved, that casts doubt on the “facts” of this story. He is an infamous ambulance chaser attorney who loves to senationalize cruise line “crimes”.

That thought also crossed my mind when I read that Jim Walker "who has been helping the family communicate with Carnival" was involved.

The other thing was that the picture of the camera looked like it was anything but small and hard to detect as the start of the article would have insinuated. If the picture is accurate as to the size of the whole rig it would seem to be less than hard to detect.

The last thing that seemed odd was that the guy (passenger) was, according to the article, "says he was taking photos of dust around the cabin after having an allergy attack." Seriously? Taking pictures of dust?

The whole thing just seems odd at the very least. YMMV.

The ***** comes close to this kind of invasion of privacy and is why I won't use it.

Hahahaha you actually believe that?

***** tracks where you are on a ship and where you spend most of the time on the ship. The very same technology is used by a lot of places. God forbid you ever walk into Apple store, where they use bluetooth beacons to track exactly where each visitor is and what they are looking at.

If Princess wanted to track your every move, they still can. It will just take security personnel following you on camera. And they are very good at it. Every part of every ship has a camera. With *****, it's just simpler.

That thought also crossed my mind when I read that Jim Walker "who has been helping the family communicate with Carnival" was involved.

The other thing was that the picture of the camera looked like it was anything but small and hard to detect as the start of the article would have insinuated. If the picture is accurate as to the size of the whole rig it would seem to be less than hard to detect.

The last thing that seemed odd was that the guy (passenger) was, according to the article, "says he was taking photos of dust around the cabin after having an allergy attack." Seriously? Taking pictures of dust?

The whole thing just seems odd at the very least. YMMV.

Taking pictures of dust leads me to believe that maybe he is one of those guys who chase the ambulance chasers;)

If Jim Walker is involved, that casts doubt on the “facts” of this story. He is an infamous ambulance chaser attorney who loves to senationalize cruise line “crimes”.

You're not kidding.

I hope I find one in my room next cruise. It could turn into a gold mine after it goes to court. :D

Forget the smart phone. The minute you swipe a debit or credit card you are on the grid.

Forget the smart phone. The minute you swipe a debit or credit card you are on the grid.

Or even driving around. Toll collectors use RFID to charge your toll account. Toll lanes take a photo of your license plate. Police license plate readers will record your license plate and location/time.

There.

Is.

No.

Privacy.

Or even driving around. Toll collectors use RFID to charge your toll account. Toll lanes take a photo of your license plate. Police license plate readers will record your license plate and location/time.

There.

Is.

No.

Privacy.

I pity the person or corporation whois tracking me. My life is so boring. It's 12:07am and I'm cruising through cruise critic.