Butterfish!

Just back off Independance and noticed that they serve Butterfish with no health warning. Butterfish, otherwise known as Escolar has known laxative effects insofar as its waxy oil is not digested by humans.

This first came to light personally on a previous cruise when I thought I had got some sort of bowel issue ( noticed by bright orange oily globules floating in the toilet) I though nothing more until it happened again after eating Butterfish again. This lead to some research where it is found to possible cause harsher side effects which could make some people quite ill.

Just wondering if any fellow cruisers have experienced this or have any more knowledge?

They offered the Butterfish on the Serenade and I had not heard of that type of fish before . I asked our head waiter and he kindly suggested it was very fishy tasting and suggested another option (they offer it in place of cod ) Just one more cutback from RCC . The staff is always so wonderful ? I just wish the line wasn't cutting back on so many other things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Escolar, may be the single tastiest fish of the seas ever. That said, it can cause, but does not always cause squirts that is oily and is disgusting. I have to say that i have never had better tasting fish, and more uncomfortable moments after in my life.

I am skeptical that they serve it on cruise ships.

JC

Butterfish, otherwise known as Escolar has known laxative effects insofar as its waxy oil is not digested by humans.

According to the following information Escolar isn't actually butterfish but is often mislabelled as it as well as Oil Fish, White Tuna or Walu. This can be hazardous due to the potential health effects of escolar that true butterfish does not have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromateidae

http://www.chowhound.com/post/warning-watch-butterfish-hawaiian-islands-595405

Edited by robtulipe

They offered the Butterfish on the Serenade and I had not heard of that type of fish before . I asked our head waiter and he kindly suggested it was very fishy tasting and suggested another option (they offer it in place of cod ) Just one more cutback from RCC . The staff is always so wonderful ? I just wish the line wasn't cutting back on so many other things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

May not be a cut back. We (humans) have decimated the Cod fisheries and they have to find something to replace it. That is where Chilean Sea Bass started (otherwise known as Chilean tooth fish). We have decimated that fishery also so chefs are looking for the next fish to use (up).

Edited by LeesSummitCruiser1
new word

When we've had "Butterfish" before in Hawaii or at Roy's Restaurants it wasn't a species of fish........It was a technique used to prepare the fish. I believe it was Cod.

DELICIOUS!

Yes in Hawaii, butterfish can be a preparation or recipe to cook fish but else where in the world it is a class or species of fish. See

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2010/1/12/butterfish_Hawaii_recipe

Edited by robtulipe

FYI, butterfish does not taste "fishy" at all! I love escolar sashimi, but never have more than 2 pieces in a day, to avoid any "side effects".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yep delicious. Often marketed as "White Tuna"

I've never had the digestion issues with it though :eek: :eek: