Loud music again and again and again

Germancruiser

Just back from my Infinity - Transatlantic - all in all a wonderful cruise experience. One thing is bothering me still- ( and not just me as I gathered)

THE LOUD MUSIC STILL PLAYED AROUND THE ATRIUM BY A DJ !!!!

I was sitting with a very nice couple at All Baccio - and chatted away- well we tried - over the almost unbearable loud music! We almost had to shout to hear each other.

The gentleman ( wink wink Markus and Victoria ) got up and asked to tune the loudness a bit down. With success- for one song! Some senior staff came over to our table and mentioned that they are not allowed to tune it down, because this nice loud music would make for a livley athmosphere- so we should expect it to get louder soon.

Well- there wasn´t hardly anyone sitting there around - so a very strange idea!

I will do a longer review when I come round in my daily routine!

Michael

Edited by Germancruiser

Just back from my Infinity - Transatlantic - all in all a wonderful cruise experience. One thing is bothering me still- ( and not just me as I gathered)

I was sitting with a very nice couple at All Baccio - and chatted away- well we tried - over the almost unbearable loud music! We almost had to shout to hear each other.

The gentleman ( wink wink Markus and Victoria ) got up and asked to tune the loudness a bit down. With success- for one song! Some senior staff came over to our table and mentioned that they are not allowed to tune it down, because this nice loud music would make for a livley athmosphere- so we should expect it to get louder soon.

Michael

Excellent, best news all day! Hopefully there's no rule against turning it UP!!!

The sound level does vary by cruise and, of course, the ship does have control of the volume even though they claim HQ makes them do it (to avoid long discussions).

Personally, I don't mind some loud music as long as there are places I can go where it's quieter. For a (short) while, Celebrity played loud music everywhere...you couldn't escape. That changed a few months ago when it became a significant issue.

The martini bar is usually the loudest with an annoying rhythmic beat, but on our Antarctica cruise a few months ago, there was almost no music in the Martini bar (which seemed to fit the passenger set on that cruise). But there was a wonderful guitarist filling the atrium air with music which everyone seemed to enjoy.

We loved the music emanating from the atrium every night on Equinox,

Especially enjoyed cafe al bacio and hearing the loud, but non-offensive music

Thank god for that music, since it was really the only lively part of the ship

Without it the ship would have seemed too dead

Michael

Hi Michael,

So sorry to hear this is still going on. I am recently off Summit, where the volume levels were fine. Wish they would confine the dj's to the sky lounge. Anything played in the atrium at a loud volume goes throughout the other levels. Good luck listening to a guitarist in Cafe al Bacio while the dj is playing near the Martini bar. Thanks for posting and glad you enjoyed your TA anyway.

Sad there has to be another thread about this...i

DJ s are best suited to the disco or club esp. on S class where the sound reverberates off the walls in the open area..

A variety of live music in the atrium which rotated with music in other venues (piano, jazz trio, guitar, party band and island band) was much better but now they do not have to house and feed so many musicians by using the DJ!

Still there are places for us to hide from it...so all is not lost!

The problem with loud music is that it forces everyone to listen to the musical tastes of the guy at the controls. Musical tastes are as varied as opinions and one size does not fit all.

The best way to disguise or over come no talent is to play it loud. DJ's are cheap and it doesn't require much talent to beat on a electronic drum.

Put one person in the atrium beating loudly so the distortion masks the lack of a band and you can provide the Passport bar, Martini bar, Cellar Masters, Cafe Al Baco and the library with cheap modern luxury.

🎶🎵🎤

We were on Silhouette TA recently. The DJ and drummer were intended to be in Quasar every night. Apparently someone complained that music in Quasar could be heard in their cabin.... so they were moved to Martini Bar for the rest of the cruise. Not nearly as good a venue for dancing, but better than none at all.

I don't usually have a problem with loud music, but I do agree with the op about right time and place. I don't think having to listen to loud DJ music in the Al Bacio coffee house setting is appropriate. I much prefer the solo guitarist.

I like quiet places during the day and there are lots of them. Then I look forward to the evenings and more excitement with some party/dancing music. There are other places we go if we are a group and want to chat like the Ensemble Lounge, aft bars or the Sky Lounge. I have read so many posts from people who try X and say they love the ship, food, service but it's dead at night. Hopefully there can be something for everyone

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The best way to disguise or over come no talent is to play it loud. DJ's are cheap and it doesn't require much talent to beat on a electronic drum.

Put one person in the atrium beating loudly so the distortion masks the lack of a band and you can provide the Passport bar, Martini bar, Cellar Masters, Cafe Al Baco and the library with cheap modern luxury.

🎶🎵🎤

Thanks! I could never quite figure out their reason for adding the DJ to the martini bar

We loved the music emanating from the atrium every night on Equinox,

Especially enjoyed cafe al bacio and hearing the loud, but non-offensive music

Thank god for that music, since it was really the only lively part of the ship

Without it the ship would have seemed too dead

I am with you.... I love that they have a hopping atmosphere on my cruises. On the Equinox and again on the Solstice, the music drew people together and everyone was crowded around the atrium railings singing and dancing to the music. So enjoyable!! Loud, yes....but we were there for the music surrounded by hundreds of others that were also enjoying it.

There are so many places on the ship to go have a conversation in a nice quiet area. If you don't like loud music, plan to meet somewhere where there is not loud music. Seems simple to me. I have found those places so I know they exist. If the loud music is right under your room and you are trying to sleep -- well, that is another story but the S class seems to have some pretty soundproof rooms.

I am wondering what time of day it was when the louder music started? On our recent Century cruise things seemed to be quiet in the mornings then they would turn on music at about 8 am, then the DJ's would get going later in the day.

The only place I found the music too loud during the day was the cova cafe. We tried moving to the other side as far away from the speakers as possible, but them couldn't get any service as the wait staff seemed to think we weren't there for coffee since we were not sitting right next to the coffee bar (where the loud music was coming from). Once the DJ's showed up in the afternoon, we abandoned the cafe altogether.

My problem with the music being so loud as to drown out conversation in the cafe is that there is only ONE place on the ship that you can get specialty coffee. If a bar was too loud or the music was not to my taste I could go to another bar and get a drink and have a conversation, but with loud music in the cafe, it was a massive pain in the rear to have to find somewhere quiet and then trek back and fourth every 30 minutes for another round of coffees. It is also one thing to have a scheduled performance that lasts for a finite period and another altogether to just be piping in loud music from 8 am til 10 pm every day or having a DJ provide the same.

Yes, everyone who says if you don't like it go somewhere else has a valid point, and that is what we did every time the DJ's showed up, which unfortunately for us this meant no martini bar at night and no cafe in the afternoon. For me this really did stink because those are my two favorite venues. I would have preferred more of a mix of where/when that particular act was on (and for how long). OK, to be honest I would have preferred they missed the ship altogether, but we muddled through. I think that X needs to consider what alternatives the PAX might have for the venue where there is going to be music and maybe mix it up some so everyone gets a chance to enjoy different areas at different times of day.

Again, I agree that there needs to be a mix and I agree that if you don't like one thing you can try somewhere else but I also think that whether or not there is a good alternate needs to be considered i.e. somewhere else to get coffee or another open bar that is quieter etc.

News to us about a dj at cafe baccio...

Cafe baccio is where some of the officers are in the afternoon...wonder if they like the dj..,?

..we are afternoon regulars there for espresso and tea forte...and enjoy the guitar player...have alway enjoyed getting away from the afternoon sun and din that develops out at the pool area..

why put a dj there unless he/she coukd play a nice mellow playlist..?.

I am wondering what time of day it was when the louder music started? On our recent Century cruise things seemed to be quiet in the mornings then they would turn on music at about 8 am, then the DJ's would get going later in the day.

The only place I found the music too loud during the day was the cova cafe. We tried moving to the other side as far away from the speakers as possible, but them couldn't get any service as the wait staff seemed to think we weren't there for coffee since we were not sitting right next to the coffee bar (where the loud music was coming from). Once the DJ's showed up in the afternoon, we abandoned the cafe altogether.

My problem with the music being so loud as to drown out conversation in the cafe is that there is only ONE place on the ship that you can get specialty coffee. If a bar was too loud or the music was not to my taste I could go to another bar and get a drink and have a conversation, but with loud music in the cafe, it was a massive pain in the rear to have to find somewhere quiet and then trek back and fourth every 30 minutes for another round of coffees. It is also one thing to have a scheduled performance that lasts for a finite period and another altogether to just be piping in loud music from 8 am til 10 pm every day or having a DJ provide the same.

Yes, everyone who says if you don't like it go somewhere else has a valid point, and that is what we did every time the DJ's showed up, which unfortunately for us this meant no martini bar at night and no cafe in the afternoon. For me this really did stink because those are my two favorite venues. I would have preferred more of a mix of where/when that particular act was on (and for how long). OK, to be honest I would have preferred they missed the ship altogether, but we muddled through. I think that X needs to consider what alternatives the PAX might have for the venue where there is going to be music and maybe mix it up some so everyone gets a chance to enjoy different areas at different times of day.

Again, I agree that there needs to be a mix and I agree that if you don't like one thing you can try somewhere else but I also think that whether or not there is a good alternate needs to be considered i.e. somewhere else to get coffee or another open bar that is quieter etc.

On our Reflection cruise the DJ did not start until late as in 11:00 in the evening. Also the area was packed with guests enjoying themselves.

News to us about a dj at cafe baccio...

Cafe baccio is where some of the officers are in the afternoon...wonder if they like the dj..,?

..we are afternoon regulars there for espresso and tea forte...and enjoy the guitar player...have alway enjoyed getting away from the afternoon sun and din that develops out at the pool area..

why put a dj there unless he/she coukd play a nice mellow playlist..?.

This may have been unique to the Century and thus a moot point shortly. I didn't really get it either and thought they were better suited to the Martini bar where they started around 8 or 9. We always moved to the rendezvous at that point because we preferred the live music there. It was loud, but it was a bigger venue so we just moved away from the speakers.

At that earlier time on our cruise the Martini bar was practically empty but the rendezvous was hopping. Don't know what happened later as we were in bed!

On our Reflection cruise the DJ did not start until late as in 11:00 in the evening. Also the area was packed with guests enjoying themselves.

Glad to hear it.., hopefully earlier they'll have some live music.,.we'll be on her in the fall.... we heard that Reflection does not have Quasar

..we used to enjoy Quasar on other S class ships...but then they had very talented DJs in the booth who mixed up the sets and never had the drum banger ...when that act greeted us on our last Silho cruise we could not get away from them fast enough.....and avoided them best we could

A late nite Dj in atrium or upstairs club is a good idea....!

I agree completely. Sadly, I think Celebrity is pushing us away. We are now planning to only take cruises that would not appeal to the younger crowd - 2 weeks or longer and not in the Caribbean.