Is Celebrity like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates?

Caribbean Chris

I never know what I am going to get in the way of onboard experiences and am starting to get a little nervous since relatives are going with us in December.

We've cruised many lines and ships over the past few decades. Since we started with X in 2010, I've had a superb dining experience on Century, both in Murano (fabulous) and the main dining room. I've had the nicest stateroom ever on Eclipse. Really fun wine events. Pretty dazzling shows in the theater.

But I've also had the worst ever main DR food & service once (in fairness, the Select concept was new then to X) and the absolute worst room steward service ever (some days, the room was just skipped over at morning and/or evening.)

I like more consistency, especially if other people's vacations are at stake. We have one more Open Passages to use, but unless our next cruise is good, I'm going to call it a day.

Do others experience this inconsistency?

For the most part, all of my Celebrity cruises have been pretty good to wonderful, beginning in 2003.

I have only had one Celebrity cruise that was less than stellar :rolleyes: and it was a 5 night to the Caribbean this past spring - during the free beverage package. A 4 night, on the same ship (Constellation), taken a year prior was better as far as the service went. Still had a great time! :)

My last cruise on the Connie was excellent!

Edited by Iamthesea

Never had a room steward skip over our cabin in 20+ cruises on 3 cruise lines. Have had a few occasions when service was slower than I would have liked on all

3 cruise lines and occasionally a meal I didn't care for. But that happens in restaurants everywhere.

I never know what I am going to get in the way of onboard experiences and am starting to get a little nervous since relatives are going with us in December.

We've cruised many lines and ships over the past few decades. Since we started with X in 2010, I've had a superb dining experience on Century, both in Murano (fabulous) and the main dining room. I've had the nicest stateroom ever on Eclipse. Really fun wine events. Pretty dazzling shows in the theater.

But I've also had the worst ever main DR food & service once (in fairness, the Select concept was new then to X) and the absolute worst room steward service ever (some days, the room was just skipped over at morning and/or evening.)

I like more consistency, especially if other people's vacations are at stake. We have one more Open Passages to use, but unless our next cruise is good, I'm going to call it a day.

Yes, that is why I say those how love cruising have to be able to roll with the punches cause some will happen every trip.

Edited by KirkNC

One of your mistakes or regrets will be traveling with relatives. :rolleyes:

A few times friends and relatives have joined us on a cruise because of how we would always talk about how great cruising is.

Problem now is that we are now trying to make it enjoyable for them and it just doesn't seem as if they were as impressed or enjoyed cruising much as we do. Sensing that we felt bad that they weren't enjoying it and it also affected that cruise for us. After the cruise they would politely say that they had a good time but none have ever booked another cruise or suggested to cruise with us again.

We have done 3 cruises with friends and relatives. We now sail by ourselves and never ask anyone to join us. I know it works for many but it hasn't for us. We now just make arrangements with passengers that we have met on a cruise and will schedule cruises with them.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Really, aren't most things inconsistent? Airlines, train service, taxicabs, even places like McDonalds that strive for exact replication site to site have a few clinkers along the way. The proof in the pudding is how does management deal with it. If you reported your poor steward ( you did, didn't you) and the Head Housekeeper just shrugged her shoulders THAT's a problem.

I've been on over 30 cruises and, yes, some have been better than others, but the way I look at it, I'm on a cruise and that is something millions of people only dream about doing. I don't let little things bother me; usually if my cabin isn't made up or turned down, it was because I was in the cabin and the cabin steward couldn't do his or her job, but it really didn't ruin my cruise.

Really, aren't most things inconsistent? Airlines, train service, taxicabs, even places like McDonalds that strive for exact replication site to site have a few clinkers along the way. The proof in the pudding is how does management deal with it. If you reported your poor steward ( you did, didn't you) and the Head Housekeeper just shrugged her shoulders THAT's a problem.

We "only" have 6 cruises on X so far (but more than that currently booked). While it should be consistent across ships and cruises, there are a lot of people involved. Both guest and staff can impact how service is provided during a cruise. If everyone heads to blu nightly during the same 30 minute period, service will suffer.

Only one of our X cruises was less than impressive and that was a 3 day on Century. Sure the ship was "clean" but the water stained cabin walls were more reminiscent of Motel 6 than modern luxury, add in the average butler (being kind), and slow flushing/overflowing toilet and our experience was less than impressive on this short cruise. We agree, sure there are inconsistencies, but we're ok to speak up, its how they deal with the issues.

They didn't seem believe me when I reported the toilet problems early in the cruise. The icing on the cake was when we heard the maintenance person sloshing in the toilet water on the floor of our bathroom, tell his boss on the phone, "yes, it's really broken".

We do understand, things happen, and this has been (mostly) forgiven as it was a one off experience. We simply chose not to sail through the Suez Canal on Century's last cruise and book a different cruise instead as our feelings our disappointment was more from the cruise length and older ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Of my 25 Celebrity cruises, 23 were very good to excellent, one was ok but a bit so-so with food and service, and one had several issues which I understand have been cleared up by now (this was on Summit a couple years ago - I have enough faith that I am booked on another Summit this fall).

Overall, Celebrity still does an excellent job I think. I think the line is known for 'consistent inconsistency' - in fact I have said so myself! - but this is mainly in my opinion a reference to how they enforce rules/guidelines, especially new ones. (by rules I mean dress in the MDR, stuff like that).

One more comment regarding the original post - if I had a room steward that bad I would escalate it to their management. In all of our cruises, we have had a 'bad' room steward only once. We tried hard to work with him, but ultimately had to go over his head (which we do very reluctantly as we know how hard they work for their money, and how much escalating can adversely affect them - but this guy stunk). The problem was solved immediately.

We have had 6 X cruises and we got exactly what we expected, a great cruise with good service and food, plus great ships at a reasonable price. Some little things happen on cruises but never anything to make me feel I can't trust what to expect next.

We have had 6 X cruises and we got exactly what we expected, a great cruise with good service and food, plus great ships at a reasonable price. Some little things happen on cruises but never anything to make me feel I can't trust what to expect next.

Agree, even to the number of X cruises. Al our X cruises have been prey consistent. Guess we are lucky. But, we've never had a disappointing cruise from X, RCCL or carnival. All were good. So I guess we are really lucky.

enjoy

We "only" have 6 cruises on X so far (but more than that currently booked). While it should be consistent across ships and cruises, there are a lot of people involved. Both guest and staff can impact how service is provided during a cruise. If everyone heads to blu nightly during the same 30 minute period, service will suffer.

Only one of our X cruises was less than impressive and that was a 3 day on Century. Sure the ship was "clean" but the water stained cabin walls were more reminiscent of Motel 6 than modern luxury, add in the average butler (being kind), and slow flushing/overflowing toilet and our experience was less than impressive on this short cruise. We agree, sure there are inconsistencies, but we're ok to speak up, its how they deal with the issues.

They didn't seem believe me when I reported the toilet problems early in the cruise. The icing on the cake was when we heard the maintenance person sloshing in the toilet water on the floor of our bathroom, tell his boss on the phone, "yes, it's really broken".

We do understand, things happen, and this has been (mostly) forgiven as it was a one off experience. We simply chose not to sail through the Suez Canal on Century's last cruise and book a different cruise instead as our feelings our disappointment was more from the cruise length and older ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have sailed on 8 different cruises, mostly 7 nights and above on 4 different cruiselines and have come to the conclusion that most mass market lines are far more similar than different. That said, I have seen quality and consistancy vary from ship to ship on the same line. The Century may have its charms but is not going to be the same experience as S class. Another thing I have learned is that short itineraries are not going to give you the same experience as a longer ones.

The OP should maybe try HAL or Princess. It might give him/her a better perspective on X. IMHO, X has the best mass market cruise experience for my tastes, but I would jump at the chance to cruise with others if given the chance.

Edited by jgreenwo17

Nope. First X was in 1994 and it has maintained the same level over the years, thru the Reflection last Nov. At least for us it has:D

Others maybe not so well.:eek:

Like everyone else, our cruises have varied. Unfortunately, Celebrity doesn't post major crew changeover cruises because when a significant portion of the crew is new, you get an "interesting" (I'm being kind) level of service as the new folks learn their jobs on the job.

Other than the changeovers, we find that some senior staff occasionally like to make up their own policies (the theater is formal on formal night) or we get the occasional unannounced change to the drink packages or there are no escargot (worldwide shortage)....but overall, our experience is always good, just different.

Chris, it sounds like you (understandably) want to give your relatives a perfect cruise. That's probably why you're being haunted by the inconsistencies you've experienced in the past. ;)

If I were to go back through all the reviews of X that I've written, over the years, I would find both high-lights and low times on every one. Sadly, there is no such thing as a perfect cruise -- there are always some problems. But, what has always impressed me is how Celebrity deals with those problems, when they do arise. That's the consistency that I look for, and always find, in the Celebrity cruising experience. :cool:

"Consistently inconsistent" -Love it! I'll have to adapt that as my expectation for X. Nope, I'm not so unrealistic as to expect perfection when I travel. But I appreciate it when I see evidence of good quality control.

We roll with the punches, laugh at the crazy things that happen, and politely chat with the front desk when there's a problem. Sometimes they fix it, sometimes nothing changes. I'm sure we'll have fun in December as we have on more than 30 cruises with 11 different lines through the years.

If there wasn't inconsistency you'd never find good and bad reviews of anything. Hotels, Cruises, Restaurants. It's everywhere.

We have only done two Celebrity cruise. As noted below, one for the Med and the other for Australia to NZ. Both worked well. We have also done three other cruise in Europe, on smaller more luxury cruise lines. All worked well. Nothing is exactly, totally perfect, but that is life.

Appreciate the above and other wise comments. "Inconsistency" can happen anywhere, including with customer expectations, tastes, desires, etc. For us, the cruise is important, but actually secondary to the port stops, unique places being visited, pre- and post-cruise travels, etc.

Now getting ready for our planned late March-April 2015 Africa (Kenya-Zanzibar-Madagascar-South Africa-Botswana) adventure. Part cruise. Part independent land safaris, etc. Not on Celebrity as they are not, for now, offering traveling in these special types of places.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 175,727 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 63,341 views for this fun posting.

We roll with the punches, laugh at the crazy things that happen, and politely chat with the front desk when there's a problem. Sometimes they fix it, sometimes nothing changes. I'm sure we'll have fun in December as we have on more than 30 cruises with 11 different lines through the years.

That's the attitude to have, IMHO.;) Hope that you and your family have a great cruise, this December! BTW -- are you, by any chance, on the Eclipse Holiday Cruise? If so, come on over and join a great roll-call! :cool:

One of your mistakes or regrets will be traveling with relatives. :rolleyes:

A few times friends and relatives have joined us on a cruise because of how we would always talk about how great cruising is.

Problem now is that we are now trying to make it enjoyable for them and it just doesn't seem as if they were as impressed or enjoyed cruising much as we do. Sensing that we felt bad that they weren't enjoying it and it also affected that cruise for us. After the cruise they would politely say that they had a good time but none have ever booked another cruise or suggested to cruise with us again.

Recommending cruise lines or restaurants can be very risky business, can't it? It's not worth it, especially when your friends are spending thousands of dollars. We invited my sister and her husband to join us on a tour of a Princess ship that we were sailing on. I think it cost me $40 or $50 to have them come on board, see the cabins, public spaces, and have lunch. It was an excellent way for them to get a taste of life on board, and it cost them nothing. Later my sister confided to me that she wouldn't care to cruise. I would have felt terrible had it cost them big bucks to find that out on a real cruise.

That's the attitude to have, IMHO.;) Hope that you and your family have a great cruise, this December! BTW -- are you, by any chance, on the Eclipse Holiday Cruise? If so, come on over and join a great roll-call! :cool:

No, we're on Constellation 12/13/14, but enjoy the Eclipse for the holidays!

Recommending cruise lines or restaurants can be very risky business, can't it? It's not worth it, especially when your friends are spending thousands of dollars. We invited my sister and her husband to join us on a tour of a Princess ship that we were sailing on. I think it cost me $40 or $50 to have them come on board, see the cabins, public spaces, and have lunch. It was an excellent way for them to get a taste of life on board, and it cost them nothing. Later my sister confided to me that she wouldn't care to cruise. I would have felt terrible had it cost them big bucks to find that out on a real cruise.

Agree,

I have friends that don't understand why we like cruising so much. One friend says that he would be bored being confined to a ship. Also, for some, foreign travel is not something that everyone desires. Instead, he and his wife like to camp in a fifth-wheel camper. I sometimes go with them on biking trips, but only so much camping I can take.

Recently, my DW mentioned to a friend that we were taking a cruise to Denmark, Norway, Iceland, etc. and that woman responded with a very odd statement to the effect of why would you travel overseas with all the problems in the World right now.

Geeze, Scandanavia and the UK are not the Middle East.

Agree,

Recently, my DW mentioned to a friend that we were taking a cruise to Denmark, Norway, Iceland, etc. and that woman responded with a very odd statement to the effect of why would you travel overseas with all the problems in the World right now.

Geeze, Scandanavia and the UK are not the Middle East.

No, but the USA is rapidly becoming a third world country. Better to be on a cruise ship in Scandinavia.:D Sounds like a nice trip. Have a great time