"What you want, a nanosecond before you knew you wanted it."

Stateroom_Sailor

We take our first Celebrity cruise in 2 weeks, very excited. This advertising, I can take it with a grain of salt but it sounds like over-promising and under delivering. I don't expect Crystal Cruise line, or even the intuitive trained crew of Holland America. Perhaps "modern luxury" is subjective, and no doubt Celebrity has it's areas where it shines, but this over-hyping is bound to disappoint some.

We take our first Celebrity cruise in 2 weeks, very excited. This advertising, I can take it with a grain of salt but it sounds like over-promising and under delivering. I don't expect Crystal Cruise line, or even the intuitive trained crew of Holland America. Perhaps "modern luxury" is subjective, and no doubt Celebrity has it's areas where it shines, but this over-hyping is bound to disappoint some.

It is over hyping. However, we have been pleased with our service on Celebrity. Sometimes the slogan actually does apply. I view it as a very high goal to strive for, but not always executed.

Yes, overhype.

The ships are well maintained, attractive, w/good food & service.

My major complaint is the shortage of open lounges w/bar service.

When we see "Private Function" we read no entry, no trespassing, no welcome. At minimum, we'd like to know when the public rooms are open to us.

jls

The slogan is, perhaps, a little over the top - especially the nanosecond part - but is reasonable. We have found that, at least once on board, Celebrity do try to surprise you with the service they provide. Not continually or frequently, then it would not be a surprise, but it does happen. The unexpected things are always the ones that create lasting memories. I suppose it is what keeps us returning despite all the problem on shore.

Edited by Project_gal

Maybe the "full" slogan should be..

"Modern Luxury.... (and Private)" :p

axzm89.jpg

This is one location for suite guests. It was very under-utilized prior to being changed over. If you need to have Michael's available to you, book a higher-end suite.

I love having Michael's as a suite lounge.

Well, if you think the HAL crew are intuitive and trained, then I expect your experience with Celebrity will be a lovely surprise. I did not find HAL's crew to be any of the above.

Enjoy your cruise!

What I want is for them to stop repeating and repeating and repeating that slogan while I'm on hold….

If they lived up to their slogan, you wouldn't be on hold, they'd pick up the line a second after it started ringing... ;) :D

If they lived up to their slogan, you wouldn't be on hold, they'd pick up the line a second after it started ringing... ;) :D

Actually they'd call you a nanosecond before you thought of calling them.

Plain and simple it is a marketing slogan... There to ATTRACT attention... And in particular NEW Customers

We were new to Celebrity, and Cruising back in 2012. Celebrity's ads worked on us for sure... (back then it was the one that featured beautiful pics of The Solstice, great music, and the slogan to which you are referring). I literally could not wait to be aboard... I drove my poor Hubby and fellow CCers crazy with cruise talk. I researched minute details... And read all I could.

Was I disappointed in the end ?

Hell no.

Celebrity delivered everything I dreamed of and more... Including things I did not even know I wanted at the time... like the Welcome Aboard Champagne & Mimosas... Or the Seating Lounge they set up on the Pier at each Port of Call... And a friendly "Hello... did you have a nice day ashore? Would you like a cold towel or drink ?"

Seriously... Just what I needed, but never would have thought of on my own... And would otherwise no way to get by myself unless I was onboard and searching it out with a lot less ease (like that Welcome Aboard Drink... Obviously a cocktail / celebration drink is the first thing that many Pax want when they arrive on the Ship... Celebrity just makes it easy / automatic so you don't have to think about it !

Similar were our experiences elsewhere on the ship...

The Bartender at the Passport Bar who anticipated Hubby's Beer, and was pouring it when he saw him coming... So it was in my man's hand the nano-second he reached the bar. The Wait Staff in the MDR who continually surprised us with their skills & intuitiveness... And Cabin Crew who worked their magic seamlessly and invisibly. Amazing service we found in Celebrity Solstice's Crew

So much so that it was a no brainier for us to book another cruise when we were aboard

And cruise # 2 on The Summit was just as rewarding

It has been 18 months since we last cruised (timing on the home front just did not allow). We missed it for sure... All that pampering !! So much so that we've gone ahead and booked two cruises within a 6 month period with Celebrity.

And again the anticipation grows... Cruising is now a frequent topic of convo for us between ourselves, with our friends, and I find myself once again here on the Celebrity CC Board feeding my hunger.

Lol, I cannot wait once again to be aboard a Celebrity Ship and find myself in a peaceful lull where my need to relax & enjoy life to a degree I didn't fully anticipate / knew I needed is met.

IMO the slogan delivers... It delivers to Celebrity a "boatload" of new Cruisers who become loyal cruisers (stats say this is true... Since the S-Ships were launched Celebrity continues to find new cruisers who are repeat customers... So much so that they now are running full page & half page ads in Canadian weekend newspapers across Eastern Canada & running Charters to 2 of their S-Class Ships in Ft Launderdale & Miami weekly during our coldest months. They ran a similar program in a smaller Ontario test market last year and sold out their charters & ships every.solid.week )

And in Mr Sloop's & my very wide social & business circle in the last year we have noticed that pretty much everyone has heard of Celebrity (whereas back on our first sailing in 2012, very few people did)... But more importantly the amount of folks who have sailed with her has grown immensely. And all seem very very satisfied enough to book again.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

The 2015 Alaska brochure promises "luxury elevated to an art form", certified sommeliers, (they don't say how many), pool butlers standing by with a cool towel on sunny days.....

we enjoy X but sometimes the experience no longer measures up to the hype...have not seen pool butlers do much more than fold towels The sorbet poolside parade and cool towels seem long gone.,,..too much DJ

OP seems on the right track...don't expect perfection and X will continue to "exceed expectations"....as promised in its previous ads

Edited by hcat

How about actually taking a Celebrity cruise before deciding that something is "over-hyped"?

:rolleyes:

How about actually taking a Celebrity cruise before deciding that something is "over-hyped"?

:rolleyes:

Because I am not interested in being disappointed and unhappy with my cruise. What's the worst that can happen, I'm pleasantly surprised? Judging by everyone's response I'm not being unrealistic. When I start craving a vanilla latte in my cabin, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it's already on it's way. ;)

I agree with Happy cruiser...we had better intuitive service with Celebrity than HAL...

From what I've read HAL staff are geared towards remembering your name and preferences. I read intuitive on the website but that's probably more marketing. Being in our mid 30's I expect to like Celebrity over HAL, but some of the itineraries that HAL offers are catching our eye. ;)

The slogan is, perhaps, a little over the top - especially the nanosecond part - but is reasonable. We have found that, at least once on board, Celebrity do try to surprise you with the service they provide. Not continually or frequently, then it would not be a surprise, but it does happen. The unexpected things are always the ones that create lasting memories. I suppose it is what keeps us returning despite all the problem on shore.

I agree....here is an example:

I was trying to surprise my DH with a cruise for his 60th birthday -- I pulled it off. We were at the martini bar on the first day of the cruise, talking to a couple of sisters that we met and the bartender telling him how much planning went into the cruise and how I kept it a secret for almost a year.

The bartender asked when his birthday was -- this was on Friday and his birthday was the following Thursday.

We had pretty much visited the martini bar most nights but on his birthday, when we went, the bartender was busy at the other end of the bar doing something else -- not taking our drink order. Now this is classic Celebrity service -- after fiddling with something down at the end of the bar for nearly 5 minutes, he walked over, placed the decorated martini glass down in front of my DH and poured a chocolate martini into it. On the inside of the glass, the following message was written in chocolate -- Happy Birthday Kenny. Wow...that really made his birthday special. (we had the beverage package, but nonetheless, what a kind and thoughtful bartender)

Well, if you think the HAL crew are intuitive and trained, then I expect your experience with Celebrity will be a lovely surprise. I did not find HAL's crew to be any of the above.

Enjoy your cruise!

Completely agree, I find Celebrity's crew to be much more professional & polished than HAL's

We achieved elite level two cruises back. I found that during the elite happy hour that the wait staff soon discovered that we liked Cabernet wine and as soon as we walked into the room had our wine on their trays ready for us.

We achieved elite level two cruises back. I found that during the elite happy hour that the wait staff soon discovered that we liked Cabernet wine and as soon as we walked into the room had our wine on their trays ready for us.

The Elite Bartenders and waitstaff are the best on the ship.

29ejij4.jpg