Alaska Cruising on the Radiance or Explorer?

We are considering an Alaska cruise (if not Hawaii but that will be another thread) in the next year and would like to know what your thoughts are on either of the ships. It is likely just going to be a trip for myself and hubby. We're in our 40's and enjoyed sailing on the larger Freedom Class ships. I am leaning towards the Explorer because of its promenade style interior and the updates being rolled out during its revitalization this month but not sure about the centrum layout of the Radiance along with its other features. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Pen1993

One important aspect to consider is the covered Solarium on Radiance. This could be useful during the cooler Alaska itinerary. I suppose it's possible that they could enclose the Solarium on Explorer during the dry dock, but nothing has been mentioned by Royal with regard to enclosing the Explorer Solarium.

Keep in mind Explorer with be doing round trips out of Seattle whereas Radiance will be making one ways between Vancouver and Seward. Because the Radiance cruises are not round trip they will have more port stops if that makes a difference for you.

We just booked Explorer to Alaska next June, mostly because of the round trip to Seattle. We are looking forward to the Promenade and ship updates.

We have enjoyed the Centrum on Radiance class ships and there does seem to be a lot of fun and entertainment there.

I think if you really enjoy Freedom class you might like the Explorer better as it will have more to do and be closer to your expectations. However I have heard many say that on Alaska cruises you're more on board for scenery and the activities/amenities don't matter as much.

With Radiance you only have one cruise choice in 2015, September 4th. That late in the year you will need the covered Solarium and you will get a lot less daylight. Radiance doesn't have any 7 night Vancouver round trips in 2016.

The Explorer is only 2016 and Jewel is only 2015.

With the Explorer you actually only visit two Alaska ports so getting a balcony should be high on your list.

To be frank, I consider those round trips to be Alaska lite. You actually spend half of your cruise in Canada. If you want a true Alaska experience do the Radiance Northbound or Southbound. Just my humble opinion. We loved our Southbound cruise Radiance so much we are doing it all over again in 2016.

Oh, yes, I noticed that some are set up as northbound or southbound. We are looking at Radiance's roundtrip Vancouver itineraries

Well, there's only the one Radiance roundtrip this year, and it seems they've ended that for next year. Which is sad, because we loved that itinerary for our honeymoon. We really should change our cruise this year to next, but our cruise is this r/t Radiance, and if it's going away forever we want to do the itinerary once more. Sniffle.

I have zero interest in flying to or from Alaska, and a back to back (can you even do the two in a row?) is too much time, so...

But if we change it to a cruise next year I'm actually looking at Celebrity.

Hi-

We chose the Radiance one-way for some of the reasons mentioned above - we wanted more time in Alaska ports and less time traveling round-trip to Vancouver.

I am a HUGE Oasis-class fan and prefer larger, newer ships in general. However, the Radiance had many of the same features (specialty restaurants, bars) and didn't really feel "smaller" than Oasis. It had also been refreshed so didn't feel dated.

I did a full review of our Radiance Alaska cruise (link in my signature). Our family loved it so much we're booked on her again in 78 days (but who's counting)!

Well, there's only the one Radiance roundtrip this year, and it seems they've ended that for next year. Which is sad, because we loved that itinerary for our honeymoon. We really should change our cruise this year to next, but our cruise is this r/t Radiance, and if it's going away forever we want to do the itinerary once more. Sniffle.

I have zero interest in flying to or from Alaska, and a back to back (can you even do the two in a row?) is too much time, so...

But if we change it to a cruise next year I'm actually looking at Celebrity.

What dates are you looking at. I am only seeing 7 nights, either north or south bound. No round trips

We are considering an Alaska cruise (if not Hawaii but that will be another thread) in the next year and would like to know what your thoughts are on either of the ships. It is likely just going to be a trip for myself and hubby. We're in our 40's and enjoyed sailing on the larger Freedom Class ships. I am leaning towards the Explorer because of its promenade style interior and the updates being rolled out during its revitalization this month but not sure about the centrum layout of the Radiance along with its other features. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It pains me to say this as Voyager Class is one of my favorite classes of ships with Radiance Class at the bottom, but Explorer in Alaska is the worst deployment move RCL has made in recent years imho.

Where are 3100+ cruisers going to go on board during driving rain and 40 degree weather? Definitely not to the huge pool deck, open Solarium, open Sports Court or Florider?

Where are 3100+ cruisers going to go to see the views of the Glaciers & inside passage scenery during this weather? Promenade? Schooner Bar? Lounges?... all with no windows. I don't think the Viking Crown can handle 3100+ people. Balcony cabins should sell out super quick and at a premium, interiors and OV could be sold a massive discounts imho... and I wouldn't even look at them unless I book super short notice 2-3 days out and see the long range 10-day forecast as favorable.

Only RCL ships that should be in Alaska imho are Vision, Radiance & Quantum.

The only saving grace for Explorer is that July/August and even Sept you often get 80 degree sunny weather in Seattle/Victoria so several days the pool decks can be used.

It pains me to say this as Voyager Class is one of my favorite classes of ships with Radiance Class at the bottom, but Explorer in Alaska is the worst deployment move RCL has made in recent years imho.

Where are 3100+ cruisers going to go on board during driving rain and 40 degree weather? Definitely not to the huge pool deck, open Solarium, open Sports Court or Florider?

Where are 3100+ cruisers going to go to see the views of the Glaciers & inside passage scenery during this weather? Promenade? Schooner Bar? Lounges?... all with no windows. I don't think the Viking Crown can handle 3100+ people. Balcony cabins should sell out super quick and at a premium, interiors and OV could be sold a massive discounts imho... and I wouldn't even look at them unless I book super short notice 2-3 days out and see the long range 10-day forecast as favorable.

The only saving grace for Explorer is that July/August and even Sept you often get 80 degree sunny weather in Seattle/Victoria so several days the pool decks can be used.

I have to agree with you here, Hoopster. Although I'd love to sail the updated Explorer, I don't know if I could justify sailing her in Alaska. I was on the Radiance to Alaska last year (Perfect cruise in all aspects!), and I absolutely loved the ship and the all the glass for viewing. Radiance class are some of my favorite ships by the way! :p

The only saving grace for Explorer IMO would be if they enclosed the Solarium with a glass roof during the dry dock, but unfortunately, I don't think that's happening.

What dates are you looking at. I am only seeing 7 nights, either north or south bound. No round trips

It's ONLY September 4-11 this year for roundtrip Radiance.

If you're asking about my Celebrity mention, we're looking on Solstice, I think. Not sure the dates I've looked at since it's so far out (2016).

Edited by mollyeilis

I love Alaska, already sailed twice there for 7 then 14 nights with HAL and NCL and have to agree on the above post regarding the wrong choice of ship. You need a ship with lots of open public spaces, something a Radiance class provides. Radiance classes also have less pollution due to being a gas turbine engine ships.

Another drawback of Voyager class ship is its size might not be able to navigate deep enough the icy waters near the end of Tracy Arm near Sawyer or the Hubbard. A smaller ship like Radiance will slip through the ice better to get closer to the Glacier. Another one is in tender ports like Icy Strait. A larger ship has longer tender wait time due to more passengers.

I sailed RCCL frequently but have to honest that I don't sail RCCL for Alaska due to the IT. They don't even have the standard 7 day round trip Vancouver that other cruise lines sailing Alaska offers. This is the most popular route being less choppy as you sailed only the inside passage and avoids the choppy waters of Gulf of Alaska and around Vancouver island if you sail from Seattle.

And they don't have permits to sail Glacier Bay National Park. Which is arguably the best area to sail in Alaska. So if you sail Alaska only via RCCL or Celebrity. Chances are you haven't sailed Glacier Bay National Park,.

Edited by roquejo

We just booked Explorer to Alaska next June, mostly because of the round trip to Seattle. We are looking forward to the Promenade and ship updates.

We have enjoyed the Centrum on Radiance class ships and there does seem to be a lot of fun and entertainment there.

I think if you really enjoy Freedom class you might like the Explorer better as it will have more to do and be closer to your expectations. However I have heard many say that on Alaska cruises you're more on board for scenery and the activities/amenities don't matter as much.

I also just booked Alaska in June 2016 for my husband and I! We are doing the June 3rd cruise. It will be my first time cruising, and the first time to Alaska for both of us. I'm hoping that with the recent dry dock, the ship will have a fresh look, as I have read it was getting tired.

Alaska is about, well, Alaska, not the ship. This is very different from sailing the Caribbean. The cruises out of Seattle are easy to do, but as one person said, Alaska lite. They miss much of what you go there for and spend far too much time at sea instead of the inside passage.

Take the trip out of Vancouver, and also better check out other cruise lines as well. Some have MUCH better runs. Don't get caught up on the ship, check the itineraries FIRST! This is a very different cruise to take. This will be our 22nd year to go to Alaska. We will be on the Norwegian Sun for the third year in a row because of all the places it stops. We will also be B to B as well on this. We have done Princess, RCI, Celebrity and Carnivore in Alaska and many more trips by ferry and auto.

Do take a cruise the first time, but really open up which line and where you will go before booking. (Diamond + on RCI.)

Keep in mind Explorer with be doing round trips out of Seattle whereas Radiance will be making one ways between Vancouver and Seward. Because the Radiance cruises are not round trip they will have more port stops if that makes a difference for you.

I've cruised Alaska a couple times and for this very reason, I would pick Radiance. R/T cruises out of Seattle would be my last recommendation.

I've cruised Alaska a couple times and for this very reason, I would pick Radiance. R/T cruises out of Seattle would be my last recommendation.

What's wrong with Seattle?

A ferry ride, a 2 mile taxi ride and we're at the pier 👍

A ferry ride, a 2 mile taxi ride and we're at the pier 👍

Nothing wrong with Seattle itself, just that round-trip Alaska cruises out of Seattle don't see as much of Alaska as the one-way cruises out of Vancouver.

A ferry ride, a 2 mile taxi ride and we're at the pier

Nothng wrong with Seattle. I love that area. But I think the r/t Seattle cruises have the worst itineraries. Most skip the best part of the Inside Passage and most satisfy the PVSA by stopping in Victoria. A Canadian port call means 1 less Alaska port call.

The Radiance Class is RCL's best class in our opinion!

Truly beautiful ships!:D

We usually book the Alaska Sawyer run. But we have done a the Celebrity Golden Gate once too.

One selling point w/ Vancouver is staying in the Pan Pacific, since it it right over the cruise port.

If you're going all the way up to Seward, be sure to consider the cruise tours, since you see more of Alaska that way.

With all the glass on the Radiance, it will allow mor viewing areas from inside. A favorite spot is the Schooner Bar or Colony Club. There are sitting areas on Deck 5 & 6 in the Centrum. We have been on a Freedom Class and found the ship to be beautiful and had a wonderful cruise, but really missed seeing the views from inside like the Radiance class offers.