Carnival Corporation BIG Announcement today

InTheWASide

I am not sure that my lack of interest in this announcement or the proposed new line -- fathom [sic] -- means I have a limited world view. It means I have no interest in sailing on fathom [sic]. Meanwhile, I participate in numerous other charitable endeavors.

Those who find this idea interesting are welcome to it.

I can't fathom why you feel that way. :rolleyes:

It is a nice idea to do something that will last in a country that the cruiselines make money from simply because that country is beautiful. I still think it a way to raise awareness.

It is not aimed at HAL cruisers, but at people who would be interested in volunteering in a far away place without sleeping in huts and getting eaten alive by bugs after a hard days work. So they get a taste of cruising and get to do some good. I am sure that many typical cruisers would not do some of the private activities that we have been lucky enough to do in the past (we have even had dinner mates think we were crazy).

It was well said that while it is nice to give a check to charity--and a good thing to do-the personal experience changes you forever. This is true even at home.

So as has been written this is a win win for Carnival Corp. Introduce a whole new population to their cruise lines, get great publicity about doing good in the world.

I believe that if you are either part of the problem or part of the solution--Carnival is trying the latter.

bolding is mine - hope it is o.k. I agree with your entire post but I very much agree with the last line.

Oh, and for the record, yes I volunteer here at home, give at home and help at home and far away. But doing it in person is truly a meaningful experience.

No tax receipt for the school supplies I bought (which included ink jets for their printers). No tax receipts for anyone. Just the looks on the faces of the teacher and the children when we did it.

Some things are just priceless

Actually HAL does that now on some cruises. They bring children on board, feed them, give them supplies and don't make them entertain :)

I kind of like that :)

I did three long cruises in last two years around Asia and Pacific. They brought on kids in one port one time.

To me it's not MAKE them entertain but LET them entertain. I love to see the look of pride on the kids faces as they demonstrate their local culture through song/dance etc. And of course at the end of the show most passengers are more than willing to throw a few bucks into a donation box.

Yes they do it every now and then but certainly a huge corporation like CCL could do it a LOT more in a lot more ports across all their brands.

Nice concept, but not for me. I do so much charity with hands on volunteering,

And helping unfortunate children and adults with their smiles, when I go on a cruise it is for me.

What a great idea for people to help though.

The price is a little hard to see.

Good luck Carnival.

Love HAL😄

Actually HAL does that now on some cruises. They bring children on board, feed them, give them supplies and don't make them entertain :)

I kind of like that :)

HAL has been very philanthropic at any number of islands in the Caribbean. They always have children on board during Christmas season and so many times I've heard of them donating and assisting after hurricanes and natural disasters.

bolding is mine - hope it is o.k. I agree with your entire post but I very much agree with the last line.

Oh, and for the record, yes I volunteer here at home, give at home and help at home and far away. But doing it in person is truly a meaningful experience.

No tax receipt for the school supplies I bought (which included ink jets for their printers). No tax receipts for anyone. Just the looks on the faces of the teacher and the children when we did it.

Some things are just priceless

To me, what the Sail Away Gang did is a meaningful way to make a difference. It really is a group effort with members of the HAL community who find a way to give back.

Edited by qsuzi

What a bunch of baloney and as a stockholder I am ashamed of CCL! It all sounds like a nice Peace Corps kind of idea until you read that the cost will start at $220 per passenger/day. That is actually more expensive then normal cruises on many of their other brands. The ship is actually a pretty decent vessel (we have always enjoyed the old R ships). A wonderful idea for those who enjoy volunteering to help folks, but at a price that should generate a profit for CCL. The shame of it. We are also curious why CCL chose the DR rather then Haiti where they certainly need more help then the DR,

Hank

until you read that the cost will start at $220 per passenger/day

It's weird how they list the pricing. They say starting at $1540/pp but that is for an oceanview and the price does go lower if you book an interior room.

From CC's post:

Pricing, which includes all volunteer excursions, training, related supplies, taxes, fees and port expenses, begins at $230 per person per night for a cabin with a window, so a weeklong cruise for two will cost $3,220. Passengers who wish to have upgraded cabins (balcony cabins or suites) will pay more, while those who want inside cabins will pay less.

So while it's not clear how much lower for an interior room that isn't the TRUE starting price even though they are indeed phrasing it as such.

Plus once you have your cruise, depending on how you want to help the price may go up more. From fathom's website:

A few select impact activities will have an incremental cost to cover materials and supplies.

Not feeling well, I don't feel like hunting back through a bunch of posts so I don't know if anyone mentioned this:

If Carnival is moving one of the UK P&O ships to do this -- will a HAL ship be moved to UK P&O to take over those itineraries?

I don't think it was mentioned yet, but do we know for a fact they were selling that ship past the planned transfer date?

Last cruise on Adonia on P&O's website as of right now is 19FEB-04MAR 2016, a 14 night Barbados roundtrip cruise. Here's the link: http://www.pocruises.com/d604/mode-itinerary/

So safe bet that after that Grand Bahama will be the shipyard of choice for any refit.

Edit: Looks like at least one sailing was cancelled...

Here's the post from the P&O boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46751127&postcount=18

Edited by InTheWASide

What a bunch of baloney and as a stockholder I am ashamed of CCL! It all sounds like a nice Peace Corps kind of idea until you read that the cost will start at $220 per passenger/day. That is actually more expensive then normal cruises on many of their other brands. The ship is actually a pretty decent vessel (we have always enjoyed the old R ships). A wonderful idea for those who enjoy volunteering to help folks, but at a price that should generate a profit for CCL. The shame of it. We are also curious why CCL chose the DR rather then Haiti where they certainly need more help then the DR,

Hank

I agree with you for the most part. If folks want to volunteer they should not be spending $220 per day to volunteer a couple of days by way of a stopover on a premium cruise ship. It is more than decent vessel, it is a premium ship. The same class of ships used on Azamara and Oceania.

I thought the price was too high as soon as I read it.

Younger people are generally disinterested in cruising.

Some of our young people took trips while in high school to Central America, they flew in and out. Cruise ships take too long to get there. These kids would not be old enough to sail without parents under current rules. Some of our young people drove via bus or van to do good work in the Appalachian areas of Kentucky and West Virginia.

I'm not sure I get this new iniative.

Hank

You are aware that Haiti and the Dominican Republic are on the same island? The fact that you own CCL stock, as do we, does not make one iota of difference.

Walt - Please feel free to delete this post so that we can post it elsewhere.

You are aware that Haiti and the Dominican Republic are on the same island? The fact that you own CCL stock, as do we, does not make one iota of difference.

Walt - Please feel free to delete this post so that we can post it elsewhere.

There are on the same island but the situation is very different in the two countries. The Domincian Republic is a popular tourist destination with real roads. It definitely is not a wealthy country but it is a world apart from Haiti which is the poorest country in our hemisphere.

Hank

I agree with you. I was discussing this with my mother and we both agree that Haiti is the country in need of help.

There are on the same island but the situation is very different in the two countries. The Domincian Republic is a popular tourist destination with real roads. It definitely is not a wealthy country but it is a world apart from Haiti which is the poorest country in our hemisphere.

Haiti can be quite a dangerous place, still. My niece adopted from this country and she was advised against going there at all for safety reasons.

Haiti is a long way from being a tourist place, even when people come bearing gifts! This new fathom tourism is a very "soft" adventure: DR will do just fine for those interested.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Haiti can be quite a dangerous place, still. My niece adopted from this country and she was advised against going there at all for safety reasons.

Haiti is a long way from being a tourist place, even when people come bearing gifts! This new fathom tourism is a very "soft" adventure: DR will do just fine for those interested.

My parents were tourists in Haiti in the 1960's during the "Papa Doc" Duvalier days. It was a very poor country then and lots of political drama. Still political drama but lots of money was raised to help them after the earthquake. How much of that money was well spent, I don't know.

Not feeling well, I don't feel like hunting back through a bunch of posts so I don't know if anyone mentioned this:

If Carnival is moving one of the UK P&O ships to do this -- will a HAL ship be moved to UK P&O to take over those itineraries?

Why would it be a HAL ship?

P&O UK recently added a new ship (Britannia) so they may not need a replacement for Adonia.

As to the cost....

I, too, thought the price was a little high if they are trying to attract younger people.

Adonia only has about 30 interior cabins so maybe that is why they only mention oceanview and above cabins.

My parents were tourists in Haiti in the 1960's during the "Papa Doc" Duvalier days. It was a very poor country then and lots of political drama. Still political drama but lots of money was raised to help them after the earthquake. How much of that money was well spent, I don't know.

I was just reading in the paper this morning that the Red Cross raised half a billion dollars and built six houses.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/04/the-red-cross-had-500-million-in-haitian-relief-money-and-it-built-just-6-houses/

Edited by Charles4515

May I suggest that those of you who are interested in this new venture by Carnival Corporation access the Carnival Cruise Line Message Board for Cruise Critic. Look for the thread that deals with a Poll. There seems, at least to me, to be a better discussion of this new venture taking place there than on this Message Board.

If they are charging "volunteers" $1500+ for a 7 day cruise, I think they will be making $$ plus get a lot of publicity. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. I think we'll do our charity work under our own terms, thank you.

I have been chairwoman of our church's missions council for the last three years and this cruise/project is priced very well for an international trip.

We have looked at trips to Haiti, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Peru and I am sure others. They would involve staying in places that do not have a/c, no hot water and in some thankful for showers at all. I remember a mission trip where we went to a public pool and showered every other day. One included breakfast as in Nutrigrain bars and lunch and dinner out of pocket. They all priced more than this.

It would be wonderful to go "home' at night to a nice bed, shower, and meal. The only thing is you feel guilty that some will never have that.

It seems most places charge alot to cover their admin staff and diapers, food for the kids, etc. in addition to your room and board. You also pay for construction materials and we usually bring suitcases of supplies which would add to the cost.

I would love to suggest this to our missions team for our church to pick a week and go together. I wonder if evangelism is allowed. We would not be interested otherwise.

I think this is very exciting!

It is alot to pay to go on a mission trip, but once you see how much we have and how poor others are, you are likely to want to give even more.

I always hear about water problems and the need to donate to projects. When I spent time in a place that only had water 2 days a week, it REALLY woke me up. I appreciate my sink, am grateful to not have to carry and boil water to do dishes, turn the water off while I wash and condition my hair, etc. It changed me.

For a long time I felt money I donated went alot further than me spending money to go there. Now I see both sides.