Who agrees with me?

Does anyone think the following is gross and may be the cause for an outbreak of norovirus on a ship?

Every dinner I have been to in the main dining room, the waiters would not wash there hands during the entire service. This is after the waiters have touched dirty used cutlery plates etc from multiple tables . They then touch YOUR cutlery and serve YOUR meals. Secondly, at the buffet, the crew do a poor job at wiping down the tables with an unsanitary damp cloth which is used too many times. This has occurred on cruise I have sailed with including Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Azamara and Cunard.:eek:

Does anyone think the following is gross and may be the cause for an outbreak of norovirus on a ship?

Every dinner I have been to in the main dining room, the waiters would not wash there hands during the entire service. This is after the waiters have touched dirty used cutlery plates etc from multiple tables . They then touch YOUR cutlery and serve YOUR meals. Secondly, at the buffet, the crew do a poor job at wiping down the tables with an unsanitary damp cloth which is used too many times. This has occurred on cruise I have sailed with including Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Azamara and Cunard.:eek:

Do they when you eat on land?

Have you spoken to the Maitre'd or Hotel manager?

No I don't. All ships have sanitation procedures. Why do you say they don't wash their hands - because there is no basin in the dining room? And you're positive the cloth doesn't come from a bucket of Virox?

Cruise lines have every incentive to keep their passengers healthy. Otherwise who would want to sail on the [expletive] ship?

Your concerns have been properly addressed in the thread about compensation for Noro virus infection, where two knowledgeable people close to the industry have detailed what the process is, effectively discounting any of your claims to what is done, and that the precautions are perfectly adequate.

Why start another thread when you already know this isn't the problem you claim it to be?

Edited by SantaFeFan

Your concerns have been properly addressed in the thread about compensation for Noro virus infection, where two knowledgeable people close to the industry have detailed what the process is, and that it is perfectly adequate. Why start another thread when you have already know this isn't the problem you claim it is?

t hadn't jelled it was the same person.

Your concerns have been properly addressed in the thread about compensation for Noro virus infection, where two knowledgeable people close to the industry have detailed what the process is, effectively discounting any of your claims to what is done, and that the precautions are perfectly adequate.

Why start another thread when you already know this isn't the problem you claim it to be?

Bruce Muzz went to the trouble of describing the required system for dining stewards to wash their hands between taking dirty dishes and then serving clean. I have no reason to question his excellent description. I agree with SantaFeFan. That's a great post to read, OP. :)

I have no reason to believe that dining room stewards would fail to follow prescribed sanitary policies. I have seen numerous cases of passengers failing to wash their hands after using rest rooms, or washing their hands and then opening the door with bare hands, or failing to follow any common sense procedures in serving themselves in the Lido.

It is most probable that the common cause of noro is self-infection: failure to apply common sense precautions and then putting fingers in mouth, or near eyes or nose.

So: no, OP - I do not agree with you.

Maybe there should be nozzles in your cabin that will dispense pureed food directly into your mouth, without ever touching anything but your lips...

Just kidding....but do you know how long it would take for dinner service if they had to wash their hands every time they touched something that someone else had touched? What about the kitchen staff...they touch your food and plates....what about the person who sets the tables?....

Hopefully, your immune system is strong enough for you to go out in public.

I have reason to trust the expertise onboard to maintain the proper levels of sanitation. They know their jobs. I'vs seen more through cleaning on board than I've seen anywhere on land. I have no reason to believe an anonymous poster here has any expertise.

So, no. I don't agree.

You should consider switching to Oceania where, for example, passengers cannot serve themselves in the Terrace Cafe, which is their version of a buffet. Only counter staff touch the food (even then, most items are served with utensils).

I think you don't understand the norovirus... I have over 50 cruises never have gotten the virus... because I wash my hands constantly - I don't use public restrooms as much as possible. Staying well has more to do with what you do than others.

No I don't. All ships have sanitation procedures. Why do you say they don't wash their hands - because there is no basin in the dining room? And you're positive the cloth doesn't come from a bucket of Virox?

Cruise lines have every incentive to keep their passengers healthy. Otherwise who would want to sail on the [expletive] ship?

Firstly, are you saying that every single waiter in the dining room washes their hands every time they get the food from inside the galley. If that was the case there would be a constant line which would protrude from the galley into the main dining room. A simple hand sanitizer at each waiters station would be much easier.

Secondly, crew very rarely dip their cloth into the bucket. So if the bucket did contain Virox etc, it wouldn't make a difference.

Finally, Yes Cruise lines want to keep their passengers healthy for $ but the crew. who are paid a few dollars an hour don't care about our health.

Firstly, are you saying that every single waiter in the dining room washes their hands every time they get the food from inside the galley. If that was the case there would be a constant line which would protrude from the galley into the main dining room. A simple hand sanitizer at each waiters station would be much easier.

First off, your suggestion shows how little you know of noro and its transmission, since hand sanitizer is not effective against non-encapsulated viruses like noro. Secondly, yes, they do wash their hands each time. This sanitation between clean and dirty dishes extends to the people operating the dishwashing machine, where the person who places the dirty dishes into the machine cannot go to the other end to take them out, this must be another person. If the person handling the clean dishes goes and helps his partner out with the dirty dishes, he must wash his hands before returning to handle clean dishes. One aspect of a USPH inspection (and similarly done by health inspectors the world over) is to witness a meal service, to ensure that during the stressful rush period that the proper hand sanitation is so engraved on the crew that they don't forget to follow it.

Secondly, crew very rarely dip their cloth into the bucket. So if the bucket did contain Virox etc, it wouldn't make a difference.

Do you really spend your time on the ship tracking the movement of a cleaning rag? Besides, a 100ppm chlorine sanitizing solution has a generally accepted "shelf life" of 4 hours, so as long as the rag is wet, it has sanitizing solution on it, which will kill all known bacteria and viruses.

Finally, Yes Cruise lines want to keep their passengers healthy for $ but the crew. who are paid a few dollars an hour don't care about our health.

You're right, the crew couldn't care less about your personal health. What they do care about is that the ship is their home, not their vacation spot like it is to you. When you walk happily down the gangway, they still continue to live onboard. If the crew were the transmission vector, the virus would stay onboard continually, while there are only a few instances where the reportable cases remained high from the end of one cruise to the start of another, indicating a serious crew infection. As others have said, the reason the crew care about sanitation is from a selfish perspective, they have to work harder, they risk getting sick, and they lose pay.

You're right, the crew couldn't care less about your personal health. What they do care about is that the ship is their home, not their vacation spot like it is to you. When you walk happily down the gangway, they still continue to live onboard. If the crew were the transmission vector, the virus would stay onboard continually, while there are only a few instances where the reportable cases remained high from the end of one cruise to the start of another, indicating a serious crew infection. As others have said, the reason the crew care about sanitation is from a selfish perspective, they have to work harder, they risk getting sick, and they lose pay.

This is what is supposed to happen and you hope and believe that it does happen. However your dreams are ruined, in the real world most crew do not follow the sanitary rules and regulations

This is what is supposed to happen and you hope and believe that it does happen. However your dreams are ruined, in the real world most crew do not follow the sanitary rules and regulations

And you know this how? You've been in crew areas to see the workings? Do you have a copy of the sanitation regulations that you've studied? I have, to both of these questions. Have you worked with Public Health inspectors and seen the daily reports of reportable GI cases that track the ups and downs of new cases? I have. In the real world, most crew do follow the sanitation protocols.

Let me ask you a question. What kitchen in any restaurant has construction guidelines on what walls, floors, ceilings, furniture and appliances can be used, and how often have they been inspected to ensure that there are no cracks or crevices that you could slide your sign and sail card into at any joint in any surface? How many are required to remove screws from commercially produced kitchen appliances and replace them with special screws that don't have phillips type slots, so that they are easy to clean?

The ship itself is constructed to meet these requirements, why do you think the cruise line would allow its crew to not meet the operational requirements.

This is simple arrogant supposition: on what evidence do you base you statement that "most crew do not follow the sanitary rules and regulations"?

Please advise what authority declared you "qualified" as a "cruiseologist".

Please advise what authority declared you "qualified" as a "cruiseologist".

Apparently he/she didn't like the answers received on the previous thread.:rolleyes: Even though they did come from actual "qualified" persons such as Cheng and Bruce.

I don't agree with you and I think that you have one goal and that is to stir up a hornets nest. Thank goodness CC has an ignore option.

Bring your own TV dinners, gloves, gas mask, hazard suit and you should be just fine.

Don't understand why you even set foot on a cruise ship??!!!!!